Options
2»

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Logging into the food diary

Weighing daily. Weighing and measuring all foods.

Haven't had chinese food or pizza. Will eventually but not mentally strong enough yet.

Changing to plant based diet with seafood, eggs, cheese

Logging into No More Late Night Snacking thread. Keeps me out of the kitchen after dinner.

20 pounds down as of this morning. 😀
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    nwoutdoorgrl Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Log, and be honest with your logging. That means weigh everything and reality check the calories you get from exercise. Find a way to be active every day that you enjoy. Only eat food you look forward to.

I recently purchased a food scale & have realized how much more accurate it is. I read a few threads on the effectiveness of weighing your food when it comes to losing weight & I’m glad I finally got one. :)
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The vast importance of food scales aside, it's my opinion that the next most helpful thing is to figure out right off the bat what macros and what eating schedule will be best to control your appetite. Hunger is the enemy.

A few low cal, carb-heavy foods thru the day and one big meal at dinner has been the best way for me to manage my hunger. It's taken me a few weeks of experimenting to figure that out but it's very useful knowledge to have about myself.
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    Log your food every day. Even if over calories. Even when you forget and have to backtrack to estimate yesterday. Find a way to set small goals tied to the journey instead of the scale. (Example: For me it might be a goal to include a certain number of fruit or vegetable servings. Or it might be 30 minutes of activity.). Choose your goals to support your overall goal of losing weight. On an occasional day that I am over on calories, I still meet my daily goals. It helps me form a daily pattern of behavior toward my overall goal of losing weight and being physically fit. I’ve lost about 35-40 lbs so far.

I’m a fan of making mini goals. When I look at the big picture (total amount of weight I’d like to lose), it seems overwhelming but what I do is focus on losing 5 pounds at a time as my goal. Seeing that I’ve lost 2 out of the 5 pounds opposed to 2 out of 30 pounds is much more encouraging to me. :)

• nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    o0kody0o wrote: »
    So far I’ve lost 39lbs since February. Things that have helped me include:

Being honest with my logging (as a PP mentioned)

Using a food scale to weigh out my portions

Cutting out takeaway food

Setting mini goals

Weighing myself daily (this isn’t for everyone but I’ve found it helpful and I use a weight trending app)

Accepting that weight loss is a process and I won’t see results overnight

Taking progress photos - it’s helpful for me to have that visual reminder

Joining the Biggest Loser Challenge on MFP. I do my weekly weigh-ins and daily posts there which helps keep me accountable. The support and encouragement I receive from other MFPers has kept me going in the times I’ve felt like giving up.

Really great tips & advice. Thank you!
    It’s a helpful reminder for me that I didn’t gain weight overnight, therefore I won’t lose it overnight. It’s a process, a journey.

• nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    Getting my brain in the right groove was my most important thing, and keeping my brain from going to a dark place keeps me going. And supplements, which I know is controversial, but I believe they helped me get out of my depression and anxiety.

Now, what helps are simple goals, like 250 steps minimum an hour, and 10,000 steps a day, and drinking water. And not being angry at myself when I occasionally through choose or fate, don't reach all the goals. I trust myself to know -- and act on -- what's best for me. And I trust myself to remember where I don't want to be again.

I like simple. When things are overly complicated, I tend to check out. A simple goal I’ve set is to drink plenty of water. At least half my body weight in ounces each day. I hadn’t been tracking my water when I first started using MFP but just started to & I have noticed that I am drinking more.

• nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    JasonRVA wrote: »
    First, make sure you are doing this for you... Track every bite.

Yes! I am definitely doing this for me. My husband doesn’t mind my weight too much but is supportive in my weight loss journey but I want to be the healthiest version of myself for me, first & foremost. I believe self-care is very important & I can’t give when I am not comfortable in my own skin, or don’t give to myself to be healthy, both physically & mentally. ❤️

• nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    For me it has been exercise. Not because I burn the calories. It’s because I do something I love. Right now it’s swimming. Not swimming to burn calories, but for the joy of swimming. It keeps me from getting bored and snacking out of boredom. It allows me just enough time to plan and shop for healthy food, not enough time in the grocery store to linger in the cookie aisle. I have to hurry home so I can get to the pool.

I think it’s wonderful that you’ve found a form of exercise that you truly enjoy. Exercise in the past has always seemed like a chore to me but a handful of months ago, I discovered barre3 & absolutely love it! I loved it so much that I became a member at my local studio. I look forward to & am excited to go to my classes. Have you heard of barre3 before?

• nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    Knowing that it's not all or nothing. I cut out zero food groups and I enjoy normal food. I just stay within my calories and work out and burn what I need to remain at my losing calories number.
    Knowing that you can "screw up" one day and eat like a cow and make up for it the next couple of days. We are all human and making mistakes is part of it.

Ohh I love this! This is a similar mindset that I am working towards & have started to shift from a fixed mindset. For right now, I don’t have any off limit foods, minus dairy/gluten/egg products (food allergies) but I allow myself sweets & carbs as long as I am within my calories. This works for me at the moment because I have binge eating tendencies & when I feel deprived, I will not eat, let’s say ice cream, for as long as I can & then when I have told myself that I can’t have it for so long, I end up eating a whole pint in one sitting. Same goes for any food I have told myself I can’t have or that it’s “bad”. Not labeling food as good or bad has helped my mindset.

Thank you so much for sharing. I found it really helpful!

• nwoutdoorgrl
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Logging into the food diary

Weighing daily. Weighing and measuring all foods.

Haven't had chinese food or pizza. Will eventually but not mentally strong enough yet.

Changing to plant based diet with seafood, eggs, cheese

Logging into No More Late Night Snacking thread. Keeps me out of the kitchen after dinner.

20 pounds down as of this morning. 😀

Congrats on the loss of 20 pounds. That is awesome!
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Not having any sweet, processed food (also known as sugar). I lost weight consistently while under stress (exams).
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    For me it has been exercise. Not because I burn the calories. It’s because I do something I love. Right now it’s swimming. Not swimming to burn calories, but for the joy of swimming. It keeps me from getting bored and snacking out of boredom. It allows me just enough time to plan and shop for healthy food, not enough time in the grocery store to linger in the cookie aisle. I have to hurry home so I can get to the pool.

I think it’s wonderful that you’ve found a form of exercise that you truly enjoy. Exercise in the past has always seemed like a chore to me but a handful of months ago, I discovered barre3 & absolutely love it! I loved it so much that I became a member at my local studio. I look forward to & am excited to go to my classes. Have you heard of barre3 before?

Yes, went to an introductory barre class one time. I liked it EXCEPT — it was very, very crowded, and the classes at my gym are at 6 am?
    I am glad you found something you like!
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    For those of you that have lost 10+ pounds, what helpful advice would you give? I’ve been struggling to lose weight. What’s the one (or few) thing that has helped you the most on your weight loss journey?

I lost 17+ pounds between November and March, took a break to maintain for two months, and now I'm losing again slowly with the main goal of body recomping.

My success can be attributed to a change in a few habits. The first, like everyone says, is logging all my food/drinks thoroughly and accurately. I find it especially helpful to pre-log. Planning is key for me. The second is exercise: I started by running a couple times a week, and now I lift weights, speed walk and do other random cardio 4-5 days a week. I emphasize the weight training- it brings amazing aesthetic and functional results. The fitter I get, the more fun and rewarding exercise becomes.

The third and most important habit is the way I direct my mentality. This is a lifetime pursuit of fitness, it's the way I live, and it's totally ok and normal and healthy to not stick to it 100% of the time. Sometimes I eat decadent desserts. Sometimes I drink lots of wine. Sometimes I go to parties or out to eat and can't easily count what I'm consuming, so I estimate and move on. Now and then I'm 1500 kcal over my maintenance in a day. Those things don't derail me anymore- I jump right back in without a problem, because my daily habits are to exercise and eat a certain way, and habits are harder to break.

It took great discipline to form these habits, but now it has become second nature. Form the habits, reap the rewards!
  • Mister_X_
    Mister_X_ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think get macro percentages correct and calorie count and exercise regimen dialed
    Has been the biggest part of my 3plus year journey
    Down a total of around 90 lbs
    Also supplementation
    And daily support and accountability
  • kirstyandmychihuahua
    Options
    I've only been back logging for 2 weeks, but for me this time round - it's all about flexibility. I'm eating whatever I want as long as I hit my calorie goals (I do aim to eat plenty of protein but only because it fills me up) and so I no longer feel like I am on a diet. This time round, I know I can commit long term because I'm not adding any extra rules re sweets, carbs, or anything else. Calories in v calories out!
  • WSwalknLAC9000
    WSwalknLAC9000 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello nwoutdoorgrl,

My weight loss journey started as a conscious decision to not eat meat or dairy for one meal, because I read in an articles that, that was equivalent to not driving for so so many days. (I need to find that article to share hear) So yeah, I would encourage you to adopt a whole food plant based meal for your day. I chose breakfast as the meal to go meat & dairy free. I think that choosing to try this method would benefit you & our environment.
    Sincerely,
    Dennis
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    MFP and all those supportive members helped (and are still helping) me the most. Trust MFP's calculations, find your own ideal macro percentages, change to a healthier life style, prepare a simple meal plan for your next day and take it meal by meal, day by day. Repeat.