Bariatric Patient.... Keto beginner

Options
Hi y’all! My name is Amber! I got the gastric sleeve surgery done 10/18/18 and I am down 80lbs. I have never been more grateful for my tool. However as of lately I find myself resorting back to bad habits. (Emotional eater). I turned to my fitness pal to hopefully track things better. But I am really interested in doing more of a modified keto diet seeing as I cannot do the standard keto cause it will cause dumping and everything else. lol. Any suggestions would be ever so grateful! I still have about 120lbs to lose.

Replies

• aspires26
    aspires26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a VSG'er as well! I was sleeved on 2/26/2019 and I struggle with old habits dying hard as well. I have found that it is not too hard to eliminate almost all carbs and focus on protein first and vegetables second. I guess I am sort of a modified-keto kid as well. WE CAN DO THIS!
  • BadBanditCA
    BadBanditCA Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi! Can't speak to your sleeve procedure, but am on keto. Please be careful modifying a keto diet. Increasing your fat intake AND continuing to eat carbs to fill up is a recipe for disaster! Keto relies on high fat, and low carb intake. Good luck!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Find new things to do when emotions get the better of you which then may trigger emotional eating.

Lonely or bored go visit a friend or family member, volunter with a community organisation
    Angry go a boxing class or another high energy exercise class
    Stressed go for a walk, long soak in the bath,
    etc etc
  • quitefranckly
    quitefranckly Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi Amber, I’m CC and I had VSG 1 week before you! I have been doing keto since 3 months post-op. I have lost 96 pounds since my highest weight just before surgery. I am really enjoying the keto lifestyle and eating all sorts of delicious food. It helps that I don’t have a big sweet tooth and prefer savory meals to dessert. I usually eat 70-75% fat, 20-30% protein, and 5-10% carbs (the latter made up of mostly green veggies, berries or trace carbs in my proteins/fats). I couldn’t do it without MFP as it really keeps me accountable and on track with my macros. One of the best things that has come of this is I cook more and have to focus on whole food and stay away from processed/pre-packaged food. I have been able to tolerate the higher fat content well with the sleeve except for occasional mild irritation if the meal is heavy (e.g., beef) but no dumping or anything severe. Only dumping I ever experienced was overeating a couple of times early on and eating complex carbs (once rice and once potatoes). I’d be happy to share more if it would be of help. I know everyone’s different but keto has been a great choice for me. Good luck to you!
  • TheresaOrtiz3
    TheresaOrtiz3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had VSG 5/5/17. I also use carb manager. It helps a lot when you are first learning Keto. I’m down 125lbs with 25 more to go to goal. I’ve been stuck at my current weight for over a year.
  • ashareem
    ashareem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Commenting to follow this thread, as I'm looking in to the different bariatric procedues for myself as well.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Keto group and Low Carber Daily Forum are great groups on here.