breakfast bars

Options
I never have time in the mornings to eat a real breakfast so I always grab a clif bar to eat as I drive to school or work. Is there a better breakfast bar I should try that is both super filling (i take late lunches) and decent tasting? I don't like really sugary sweet things in the morning and find most of these bars try to taste like candy bars rather than something healthy. Lol. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Replies

• SpartanTrainer
    Options
    you would probably be better off with a granola bar. Lots of those sport bars are actually not good for you.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i can't provide you with a recipe unfortunately, but my friend's grandma in-law used to make these date and walnut breakfast cookies that were just delicious. I would think there are some good recipes for muffins you can keep in the freezer, or healthy cookies/bars that are filling. I keep individual bags of trail mix at my desk, and grab a greek yogurt on the way out the door. When i get to work i dump the trail mix on the yogurt and drizzle with a little honey. Very satisfying. For a quick bar, i do live the "KIND" bars, they are pure dried fruit and nuts and have some delicious flavor combos like apricot macadamia nut or date walnut. They are sweet tho...

Since you don't like sweets, the plain greek yogurt with trail mix/granola might appeal to you most. You don' thave to add any honey if you don't want to :-)
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had breakfast bars for a few years every morning, thinking I would get somewhere with my calorie watch. It got me worse. It didn't give me the number of calories I needed, so I would eat more during the day, especially dinner, when I was famished. So I gained weight (surprise, surprise!). Now I am eating a breakfast around 300-350. Keeps me fuller longer and also helps me not eat as much during the day. If you don't have time to eat in the morning, buy some sandwich thins or small wraps, fill them up with some veggies and scrambled eggs. Make it the night before, microwave it in the morning. I will never count on bars for breakfast or meal replacement ever again.
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    be careful with gronola bars & breakfast bars...My Dr. adviced me not to even eat them better off going with a bowl of cereal or homemade smoothie because they have so many sugars & preservatives in them.
  • Bighead951
    Options
    The Cliff Mojo Pretzel & PB bars are really good. They got a nice salty kick and there's nothing sweet about them.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You can always make your own in advance. Fool yourself cookies are pretty good, and easy to make. I believe you can google the recipe. I have also been experimenting with a variation by using 1/3 cup oatmeal, 2 tbsp low sugar applesauce, 2 packets splenda, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, 1/2 scoop protein powder, cinamon, and 1 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    bump :) Also I scramble and egg (it only takes a minute) and put some ham or cheese with it and wrap it in a low carb/high fiber whole grain tortilla. You can do that for around 250 cals and it stays with me a long time.