Weight lifting and cardio

Options
Hello ,
I been working out 5 days week . Cardio and weight lifting for a month now but have not seen any results. I am trying to lose 20 pounds by Dec . Looking for suggestions to see why I am not seeing any results. Pls advice . Thanks

Replies

• Jessy1967
    Jessy1967 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks you for ur suggestions. I will try to lift heavy weight and have calories deficit .
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Assuming the results you were looking for are improved fitness and increase in strength.

What actually happened?
    Did you get fitter or increase your weights lifted?
  • Jessy1967
    Options
    I will try increase weight lifting.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. People can and do lose weight without exercise. Exercise can help and can make the process easier, but it's not the star of the show.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Exercise for fitness and health. Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. You can definitely do both at the same time but without the calorie deficit you will not lose weight. In addition, your body will naturally retain more fluid to repair muscles after exercise and weight lifting, so your weight loss will be affected. Many of us trying to lose weight don't eat our exercise calories back or only eat a small portion of them.....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Jessy1967 wrote: »

You've been asked a couple of times but still haven't answered. What results are you hoping for?

If it's exercise related, you should have seen a bit of an increase in stamina from cardio and in amount of weight lifted. If it's weight loss, you may not have seen anything because the water retention is masking fat loss.

It's only been a month. Nothing dramatic happens in a month. You didn't get out of shape or overweight in a month and you aren't going to suddenly get lean and fit in a month.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello ,
    I been working out 5 days week . Cardio and weight lifting for a month now but have not seen any results. I am trying to lose 20 pounds by Dec . Looking for suggestions to see why I am not seeing any results. Pls advice . Thanks

As to the bolded, if you are not losing weight, you aren't actually in a calorie deficit.

Working out can help, but if you aren't accurately tracking your food, you can end up eating back all the calories you burn without realizing it.

Set your goal to lose 1 lb per week. Log accurately and consistently, using a food scale and double checking that the entries you are choosing in the database have the correct calories. Log your exercise, whatever you want to do, and eat back at least some of those calories.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Jessy1967
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

You've been asked a couple of times but still haven't answered. What results are you hoping for?

If it's exercise related, you should have seen a bit of an increase in stamina from cardio and in amount of weight lifted. If it's weight loss, you may not have seen anything because the water retention is masking fat loss.

It's only been a month. Nothing dramatic happens in a month. You didn't get out of shape or overweight in a month and you aren't going to suddenly get lean and fit in a month.

• Jessy1967
    Options
    I am try to lose weight and for 1 week went in calories deficits and been able 2 pounds this week . I do 10,000 steps a day and then do weight lifting. Thanks for ur suggestions.
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hello ,

I too workout 5 days week, sometime 7, or as my chart shows, many skipped days. I always strive and do 2hrs cardio on bike mostly (high intensity), burns most calories 600-650 cals for 1hr give or take, and moderate (?) weight, oops resistance machines.

As most cyclists do, I put biggest workouts on legs, core. Since May 23, i've went from 205 to 175 and lost 3 inches off waist. I could eat more, but for Me personally I try to keep at 1500 - 2000 cals a day.

Guess you could try that. I also find My energy levels are still fine overall for the day.