An egg a day...

LemonSocks
LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
edited October 1 in Food and Nutrition
I eat an egg every morning. I can get 15 freerange eggs for £2.50 so it's cost efficient and it does keep me full 'til lunch. I eat the whole egg, yolk and all. Occasionally I'll eat two if I have a heavy exercise plan but mostly it's just the one.

I'm just wondering if there is anything wrong with that. I was talking to my mum on the phone yesterday and she asked if that was not bad for me because of cholesterol. Now I'm not sure. Will one egg a day have a negative effect on my cholesterol or would I have to be eating more than that to really worry.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    No it's not bad for you IMO. The cholesterol issue is so muddled and now there's a new line of thinking saying the old doom and gloom about dietary cholesterol is not exactly accurate. I would not worry about having one (or two, or three) eggs a day :) IMO
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    i have 2-3 eggs a day, now u getting me worried
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    I have 2 - 3 eggs for breakfast daily and was doing the 2 egg whites/ 1whole egg for scrambled eggs and my nutritionist told me he would prefer I eat the entire egg and cut fat out elsewhere.

He said yes, it has fat and cholesterol, but not bad fat and cholesterol, like other foods, etc. Just what I was told. I know there are others out there that only do egg whites.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Eating egg will not cause you to have high cholesterol.

"Are chicken eggs good or bad for my cholesterol?" , WebMD opinion/guildline:

"Answer
    from Thomas Behrenbeck, M.D., Ph.D.

Chicken eggs are high in cholesterol, and a diet high in cholesterol can contribute to high blood cholesterol levels. However, how much the cholesterol in your diet can increase your blood cholesterol varies from person to person.

When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:

If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol intake to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day.
    If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or a high low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") blood cholesterol level, you should limit your dietary cholesterol intake to less than 200 mg a day.

One large egg has about 213 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites. If you want to reduce cholesterol in a recipe that calls for eggs, use two egg whites or 1/4 cup (59 milliliters) cholesterol-free egg substitute in place of one whole egg. "
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    It wont affect your cholesterol but one egg is only 70 calories. If that's all you're eating for breakfast, that is not healthy.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Actually it's fine to skip breakfast. If you're a generally healthy person (no diabetes, etc)
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    With toast, generally. The rest of my breakfast wasn't really relevant to my question.

Thanks for the answers. Looks like I'll be keeping my morning egg then :)
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Eggs are awesome. To lower calories and boost protein, use one whole egg and add egg whites. YUM!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I eat 2-3 most days, yolks and everything. Yum.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I asked my doctor this same question since I too eat one egg for breakfast every morning (along with yogurt and fruit). I usually soft boil the egg and for dinner I will often eat an egg white omelet using 3 or 4 egg whites (just because I prefer egg whites that way and I really don't like the taste of the yolk in omelets). My dad recently freaked out about this after I told him. Years ago he was diagnosed with high cholesterol and consequently banished eggs from his diet. Anyway, long story short, my doctor said there's nothing wrong with an egg for breakfast every morning.
This discussion has been closed.