Still hungry after dinner

Options
Hi: just started 3 days ago and I am starving! Any suggestions as to what I can eat to satisfy the urge for chips? I am trying to stick to 1310 cal. a day. Thanks!

Replies

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Be sure you have enough fiber. Protein, too. Sometimes we crave salt when we don't have enough water. Check these things first. You are just starting. Yes have some chips if need to. Then move on.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Did you let MFP do the calculations? If you are still hungry after dinner, check your macros - you might want to make a small adjustment, i.e. more or less carbs / fat / protein. And don't stress, take a long - term view - your mind and body needs some time to adjust to your healthier lifestyle. You can do it!
  • warukimedesu
    warukimedesu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's par for the course, especially at the beginning of the process. You and your body will get used to it after a couple of weeks.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    If you can have nuts, measure them out and eat for the crunch. I love chips but sometimes have no control with them.

Pistachios in the Shell slows me down, almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds in shell slow me down. These are my choice but whatever works for you.

I also try to eat higher protein, less carb this helps with my hunger and my blood sugar levels. You have to find what works for you but you shouldn't be starving, stay hydrated, add more veggies to your meal or lean protein.

Best of luck.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Eat an apple after dinner. It is filling and crunchy and not that fattening.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You'll get used to it eventually.

In the meantime, maybe 1310 is too aggressive. That isn't a lot of food and seems a bit harsh as a starting point. You could bump that up to 1460 for a couple weeks and that'd leave you 150 calories per night to have a small bag of chips. Get a success at that - you'll learn to hit a number and not exceed it, without feeling like you're starving and punishing yourself - and your self confidence as a dieter will grow even as your physical and emotional craving for food begins to subside, which it will.

If you do just that - which will give you a small bag of chips every single night for the next two weeks - the total caloric cost will be 2,100, which is barely more than half a pound - you won't even notice it; it may not even show up on your scale. Meanwhile, you'll lose plenty of weight AND get to enjoy your chips! Every night!

Then in two weeks, take stock and think about how you want to proceed.

Dieting shouldn't be torture and starvation. You can lose weight in a pleasant and sustainable way, having the things you crave, you just have to take your foot off the gas a little.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,886 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Eat an apple after dinner. It is filling and crunchy

Works even better to eat one before dinner!

However I would double check the size of deficit.

And I would make sure that I was eating enough protein (about 1g per lb of goal weight in the healthy weight range) and fiber (I think the recommendations are about 25g for women and 38g for men -- I aim for 50+ mind you :lol: ) and I aimed for at least 0.4g of healthy fats per lb of goal body weight in the normal weight range.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    An apple is also my pick if still hungry after dinner. Even if it pushes me slightly over calories for the day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. I use a microwave popping bowl, add a little oil (helps the salt stick) and add my topping of choice. 2 tablespoons of seeds gives me a big heaping bowl.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Have a small snack. I like those 100 cal packs of almond or popcorn. Or eat a fruit or some cucumber, celery, or carrots with a little hummus or a cheese stick. Herbal tea or clear zero calorie soda. Brush your teeth and find something to occupy your mind until bedtime.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I came over here to answer this with all these great suggestions...and most have already been mentioned! But my go-to after dinner "reward" is a 1/2 cup of Kemp's frozen strawberry yogurt. 80 calories, which I count in my log, and it adds that sweetness of desert to my last meal of the day. Takes away any "hunger" my mind might be trying to tempt me with, yet I still come in with my calorie goal intact. ;)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Is you belly growling hungry or are you just craving something you've always done? For me, most of the time I just WANT something. I'm not really hungry. Decide what you want worse - chips or weight loss