Exercises for stress reduction

Options
Hi- I had been on the road to my goal everything when I experienced a severely pinched nerve in my neck that essentially shut down my exercise routine for about 8 months. I couldn’t walk, my husband had to help me get dressed when it was at its worst. I saw doctors and PTs and while the pain lingers I am mostly back to normal.
I found that stress caused this. Not an injury but stress and my muscles tension crushing my nerves. Wow. Didn’t know that was possible. I am not significantly over weight have always walked a minimum of 8000 steps every day. My question is apart from quiting my job has anyone found an excercise program or routine that helps destress you? I don’t have time for yoga or other type classes but looking to do something. Any tips welcome I can’t go back to where I was!

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My experience is any exercise that you enjoy at which you must exert yourself is a good stress release/reliever. Find something you enjoy, concentrate on doing it,while your doing it, put in an effort and stress can be relieved.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You don't need classes to start yoga. Look for on-line resources or beginner DVDs.

Yoga with Adriene is popular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AYKMP6rOE

I like Rodney Yee and Sara Ivanhoe DVDs. Check your library.

Low impact ideas - tai chi, walk away the pounds is the old name but essentially most Leslie Sansone, swimming or rebounding.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do yoga videos. There's a lot to choose from online. A lot of people like Adrienne. I found a few by Tim Senesi that I like. For pain management, look into Miranda Esmonde-White. She has a program on PBS or klrn. It's sort of a blend of Tai chi, stretching, and ballet barre moves.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    For neck tension, do this stretch every 15-30 minutes for 30 seconds.
    My question is apart from quiting my job has anyone found an excercise program or routine that helps destress you?

Boxing a heavy bag. Running around the block. Heavy strength training. :+1:

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I do yoga videos. There's a lot to choose from online. A lot of people like Adrienne. I found a few by Tim Senesi that I like. For pain management, look into Miranda Esmonde-White. She has a program on PBS or klrn. It's sort of a blend of Tai chi, stretching, and ballet barre moves.

Classical Stretch......yes, that's a good series.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Maybe meditation/relaxation would help? Learning to be aware of and release tension in your body, whilst clearing your mind of the day's stresses.

There's a lot of guided meditations to be found online, for free. It's worth trying a few to see if that helps.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Exercise takes as much or as little time as you're willing and able to put into it. That's as true for yoga as it is for any other activity. You can do a 5 minute sun salutation sequence and call it good if that's what works for you.

For stress management, any exercise that you enjoy will probably help with that. It's just a matter of what you like and what your doctor has cleared you to do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Hi- I had been on the road to my goal everything when I experienced a severely pinched nerve in my neck that essentially shut down my exercise routine for about 8 months. I couldn’t walk, my husband had to help me get dressed when it was at its worst. I saw doctors and PTs and while the pain lingers I am mostly back to normal.

I found that stress caused this. Not an injury but stress and my muscles tension crushing my nerves. Wow. Didn’t know that was possible. I am not significantly over weight have always walked a minimum of 8000 steps every day. My question is apart from quiting my job has anyone found an excercise program or routine that helps destress you? I don’t have time for yoga or other type classes but looking to do something. Any tips welcome I can’t go back to where I was!

Any cardiovascular or strength training activity helps de-stress me. I get the most benefit when it happens outside, in nature. I find weeding and pruning especially meditative. Late fall - early spring I do trail maintenance on the trails behind my house. Spring - early summer I garden. I've put in new gardens last two falls.

I make it a priority to get regular exercise, and increase exercise in times of increased stress. Getting some form of activity at lunchtime during the work day keeps me sane and employed.

I find it very revealing that you think you don't have time for yoga or classes. If you truly don't, then you are over-scheduled, and that likely was a contributor to your stress injury in the first place.

Rather than taking a prescription for 10 minutes of jogging, for example, it would behoove you to examine your whole life and see what stressors you can subtract and what de-stressors you can add. If massage is in the budget, add that.
  • TubbyTattle
    TubbyTattle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like to take Zumba, Turbokick, and UJam classes at my gym. It gets me out of the house and away from my phone.
    I have a pinched nerve in my neck, too. I am trying to make time for acupuncture, it helps for this kind of thing.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    For me just getting out into Nature helps me let go of stress. I also love to run so trail running is my most relaxing activity. Maybe try to go for a walk in the park whenever you can and I’d advise taking your shoes off and feeling the earth and plants underneath your feet and just relax and breathe and enjoy just being a part of this thing called life. Perhaps take the kids out for a nature hike, learn about local plants and animals in your area and see if you can identify them around you. Unplug from your computer, TV, smartphone for awhile and read a book or take a long warm bubble bath. I’ve even read books during a long bath. Remember that the bulk of your weight loss will come from simply eating less so don’t pressure yourself to workout extremely for weight loss, working out should be for fitness, general health and fun. Good luck to you, hope you find what relaxes you! :)
  • rilmarie999
    rilmarie999 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So many thoughtful replies- I truly thank you all for taking the time to share your tips with me, you have given me some great ideas. Looking forward :)

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that was possible either. Sorry it happened to you, but thanks for letting everyone in here know. You night have saved someone else from the same injury.

I love riding a bike, which might not be ideal with your neck. Have you tried swimming? I think any exercise (or other activity) you enjoy becomes anti stress medicine.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Maybe look on YouTube for different exercises. I like a lot of them. Good luck. Stay well 🌸