Running while obese!?

I’m 259 pounds (down 35 pounds since March). I run/jog/walk in intervals now while trying out the “keto” diet (part time) cause i eat veggies and protein bars too. Any advice on how to actually make a full run for a mile+ some? I Can’t seem to do that just yet no matter how hard i push myself. It gets discouraging especially because i run out of breath after so long of running. But I’d like to hear y’alls similar stories of how you made it to where you were fully running (if that makes sense )

Replies

• ducatiroche
    ducatiroche Posts: 10 Member
    Can you power-walk a mile?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Use cross training to help you get the fitness level you want! I did elliptical for years before I got serious about running. It really works the right muscles without overdoing it. There are several other related machines that are very good.

Throw in a little resistance training and hoo-boy, your over-all fitness will improve. If you haven't done much resistance before, it's essential to get some guidance from individual or group lessons, or YouTube, if you can swing anything else.

(I also swim, which is incredible, but it's not for everyone.)
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I ran when I was obese too. It was really hard. Most of the time it felt like my lungs were working at half capacity.

What worked best for me was C25k. I downloaded the app and used it. And the other advice is to slow down. Even when you've slowed down, slow down again. Seriously.

Good luck! You've got this.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    I echo the recommendation to use C25k. It helps you build up your endurance with a structured program. It's a 9 week program, however, I would recommend repeating weeks if you find one particularly difficult or the new week is too difficult. I've used the program three times, I think. I'll run for periods of time, then leave it off for long enough that I like having the structure of the program to start again. I recall that at least the first time I used it, I definitely repeated some weeks.

And yes, slow down. Like, really slow. Almost like a fast walk slow, but not quite.
  • wander216
    wander216 Posts: 90 Member
    Great job! It will come in time. I’m an ex smoker of 18 years, then started running about 5 years after I quit. And it took me about 2 years to build a base with my lungs to be able to breath. I myself just kept at and went to a lot of running groups , they were awsome, there was always something going on. I have also ran a few half marathons. It just takes continuous persistence.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I will echo the recommendation for c25k. There is also a group that just started in July if you’d like to join them. I found it incredibly helpful to chat with others on the same journey when I went trough c25k. Plus there is a lot of helpful information posted in that group related to the program.

I did not use the app. I downloaded the NHS c25k podcasts. The podcast walks you through the program step by step. I had built a good walking base before starting. Running is different but I’m glad I built the walking base first. It takes time to build up endurance and the program is designed to help you do that safely so that you can avoid injury.

I don’t know how to post links to the group or the thread, but anyone wanting to join the July c25k group I’ll be happy to tag you in the thread. There is also a group of us that started b210k (bridge to 10k) in July. We would welcome anyone that wants to join that thread as well.

My running advice:
    1. Use a structured program to avoid injury
    2. Get fitted at a running store for shoes
    3. RUN SLOWLY. Even slower. Really slow down. Speed comes later. Much later.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    As many others have said, download C25K! I am just beginning week 6 of the 9 week program and it is honestly so good. I was a little over 200lbs when I started running with it and struggled a bit with the 60 second runs in week 1 but 6 weeks later, I just completed a 20 minute continuous run (with no walking) and it felt AMAZING.

Also go slow! My Week 5, Day 3 run (the 20 minute run) was SO slow, I felt like I was barely running sometimes but slowing down will help! The speed will come later. :D
  • mcsega
    mcsega Posts: 19 Member
    I would also caution against running at first. If your mechanics are not tight and your legs are not conditioned your knees can get sore rather easily. Brisk walking or walking/hiking somewhere with elevation changes might be a better starting point.
  • coffeexxeyes
    coffeexxeyes Posts: 35 Member
    When I had trouble running in the beginning, I started by pushing myself and getting my heart rate up by cycling. Then, I eased into running. Hope this helps, and congrats on your success ❤
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I wasn’t comfortable running until I hit overweight rather than obese. Follow the advice given about c25k, running slowly, and being able to briskly walk thirty minutes before starting c25k. Then if you continue to have trouble, it’s okay to wait until you have lost more weight before attempting a running program.