Funny food comment from son

KatAdele
KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
Last night my family was talking about healthy eating strategies (my 18 year old wants to lose some weight). My son offered that if you are eating chips you should choose Fritos because they don’t have calories but do have protein. He said, read the label, they are only corn, salt, and oil. I explained he needed to read that label more carefully as they most certainly have calories (as do corn and oil lol). Looks like I need to go over nutrition with him some more...

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Oh dear. That almost came out verbally, and I'm at work, lol.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I think sadly a lot of people think like that. Nutrition isn't really taught in schools so people have to learn themselves about it. Good thing he has you to teach him :)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Hey, at least he read the label! That's a good start. Yes, good thing you are able to explain things to him now. The sooner kids learn proper nutrition and how to get it the better.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Most definitely a teachable moment. You handled it well.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    LOL
    Never looked at a nutrition label till I was 60. Your son is way ahead of me in his nutrition education.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Reminds me of when I used to think I could eat as many gummi bears as I wanted because they are FAT FREE and therefore I wouldn’t get fat. Not so much as it turns out.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Reminds me of when I used to think I could eat as many gummi bears as I wanted because they are FAT FREE and therefore I wouldn’t get fat. Not so much as it turns out.

State of affairs is such that their packaging worked. They absolutely hoped people would interpret that this way, but if called on it would claim otherwise.