Weight Training programs/apps?

Options
I'm a 45 year old female who has lost ~40lbs on MFP since January and am ready to add a solid weight training program to my cardio in an attempt to tone and lose the last 20. I do very well with set programs and would love to find an app that would allow me to track my progress. Ideally, I'd like to focuse on freeweights rather than machines. I have heard good things about NROL4W and Stronglifts, but would greatly appreciate your input.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Starting strength has its own app, as does stronglifts. Jefit isn’t bad but doesn’t allow for data export.

My workouts get tracked by pen and paper and inputted later.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of SL 5x5 but have modified it by adding additional lifts and work in super sets of 5 followed by a 3 minute rest period. I also like "Muscle after 40" but it doesn't have an app that I know of.....
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Another vote for StrongLifts 5x5 - I use the app on my iphone and don't have to worry about what I need to do next and recording of what has been done is just a few simple taps on the screen.
  • atupdate
    atupdate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jefit is a good app for recording workouts. It allows you to set up your workout routine for reps, set, and rest time. It is easier to set up using a desktop computer.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As a beginner strength program Stronglifts 5 x 5 is great. It consists of 5 compound lifts broken down into two workouts (A&B) that you alternate and do 3 days a week (eg Wk 1 ABA wk 2 BAB) and starts from an empty bar (if 45lbs is too much to start you can use lighter dumbbells).

It's easy to follow and well structured.
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like Strongcurves, and I use the Workit app (free) because it has the first 8 weeks of the program already there for you. After 8 weeks I get less lazy and I can add my own workout to the app. It was the first app I liked the format of - there are a number of pre-programmed workouts on it, and it's easy to see graphs etc of your progress.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I’ve had a lot of success using 5/3/1. It takes a little tweaking depending on your goals. I’d suggest getting the 5/3/1 Forever book and choosing which template suits your needs