Struggle of being short and losing weight?

Options
I find it kind of discouraging some times that because I'm so short I am considers over weight by BMI standards even tho I lost 40+lbs and everyone is telling me I look so thin now. All my friends and family keep telling me I shouldn't try to lose more....but I really want to finally be considered normal weight for my height. Anyone else have this struggle?

Replies

• gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your goals, it's hard to say more. As long as your goals are not detremental to you, pursue them. What others comment on casually can be discouraging but what is important is your happiness and health. There is another thread going about how people say we should "stop losing weight" as a reaction.

I'm not short, I'm not keen on BMI, but I share the experience of everyone telling me it's good enough and I should stop. I set my goals. I am the one that works to achieve my goals. I appreciate that they notice change, but I have a plan and I'm sticking to it. Sounds like you do too.
  • Susan3758
    Susan3758 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5ft weigh 103lbs, being short Is a disadvantage because every single pound gained shows. Only you can tell what weight your most comfortable with. I try not to listen to negative comments from others. This is your life and your journey. Do not be swayed by others. Good health 😀
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm 5'1 the struggle is real. I've lost a lot too. I just look at how far I've come. Then remember I just need to keep going to get to where I want to be.
    To keep from getting discouraged I try to change up my exercise often.
  • TubbyTattle
    TubbyTattle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    YES. Because I am short and naturally curvy I get a lot of comments about my weight loss and how I don't need to lose more. I find myself having to justify further weight loss, which is ridic.

I look in the mirror and I'm not happy. I step on the scale and I know there are taller men that weigh less than me, and I am objectively obese. But because I am short, and I lost a good chunk of weight in a short time, people assume I am at a healthy weight somehow. It's true that pounds show more when you're short, but I think people look at me and assume the short and wide build is natural for someone of my height.
  • tccroston
    tccroston Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Numbers are misleading, in my opinion. I’m 6’2”, and several years ago I dropped down to 197 lbs. The charts still said I needed to be closer to 180.

I don’t think you need to justify anything to anyone. Be you!

We’re all in this together...
  • mgaus44
    mgaus44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah I completely understand I’m short @5’0 even and the weight just shows so easy. The struggle is so real and often we feel alone but believe me your not.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Try checking out smart BMI-it factors in more variables. Whether you’re at the weight you want is up to you, but the standard BMI calculators sometimes put you overweight even when you’re at a healthy weight, especially if you are fit.