Cant decide if MFP is good for me

Options
The reason I feel this is that there is so much different opinions and advice and it is getting all to complicated and confusing for me. Different people have different ideas of what is the right way to eat and lose weight. Its getting now that I am reading everything and actually dont know what advice to follow.

Replies

• mrselbow
    mrselbow Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree.

I tend to take a lot of what people say with a grain of salt and listen to advice I've received from professionals in the field of health/weight loss.

ETA: That's what I've had to do personally. Because for a while there I was in the same situation as you and became completely overwhelmed by the conflicting information.
  • HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options
    Maybe just use the resources available and avoid the forums for a week or so. Then see how you are feeling xxx
  • Purplegal32
    Purplegal32 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor AND remember everyone's journey is different and what works for some people may not work for others. Do what works for you! Have a great day!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I agree, talk to your doctor.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think the whole point of this website isn't necessarily to get a definitive answer on how to exercise and what to eat. We are here to support each other and keep each other motivated to reach our goals no matter what. I have vegan friends, intermittent fasting friends, nearly 0 carb friends...all of which does NOT describe me, but we are ALL getting to our goals regardless.

There is no "one right way." But I think it is important to learn about all the different ways, possibly try some out, then decide what works for you and do it.

Take what works for you and run with it. Use this site to track your intake and exercise, get support, etc...and remember that opinions abound. Don't take them all to heart because what works for some might not work for you. Or me. Or the guy next door.

:flowerforyou:
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. There are so many opinions on here, it can all get very overwhelming. I love the site for logging exercise, but I tend to just do what I know works for me and stay away from threads that are heavily opinionated. Over time you will find what works for you and you have to stick with it. Good luck!
  • sandi228
    sandi228 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you, only you can take this journey and make it work for you. I have friends that swear by weight watchers, that's great for them. I like myfitnesspal and logging my food. You will hear tons of advice along the way, again you have to make personal choices that work for you and your life. I like to read all kinds of things just for more information. There is tons of information out there, it's a billion dollar industry to sell all kinds of things for weight loss. You can sit and watch one infomercial after another on the weekends. Hang in there and remember you looked here because you want to lose weight. Don't lose site of your goal.
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    I come on MFP to track my food and exercise and to speak to my friends and look on the community, Its my first week back on here after taking a spell of absence, I have had great success already Just track for now and see if it helps and and then decide if MFP is for you, Its not going to be for everyone and you will find what works for you hopefully

xxxx
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Just remember that almost everything you read here is either wrong, or woefully inappropriate to _your_ situation.

What it does do is make you think for yourself, so a bit of research and come up with your own plan... Might not be perfect, but you'll learn what works and what doesn't.

Generally though, there are no quick fixes. You put in the effort and you get the rewards.

--

... obviously this is as wrong and woefully inappropriate too :-)
  • jameslucy
    jameslucy Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really do like MP for tracking food and exercise and the support is great. Maybe I will just stick to tracking for a while. My need for losing weight now is becoming a bit of an obsession and I am probably just looking for what works for everyone else( especially cause I have been stuck at my weight for months now. It just keeps going down a few pounds and then back up again). Think my heads just not in the right place at minute for so much different information.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Maybe just use the resources available and avoid the forums for a week or so. Then see how you are feeling xxx

I agree. There seem to be an awful lot of know-it-alls on the boards. Some people just need to scale back. Do what is working for you and stay true to yourself! Good luck! :drinker:
  • rjp3399
    rjp3399 Posts: 9
    Options
    It works for me, I've lost 146lbs in a little under 9 months. I use it to work out what i can and can't eat and use it daily as a diary, the only right answer is does it work for you !!

Advice is always good, but take it from a professional who knows your personal circumstances and monitors your progress, main thing is to ensure you are getting all right nutrients and are not starving yourself for short term gain, all changes should be with the long term in mind.

MFP is the best tool I have come across to encourage myself and stick to a plan.

You just need to change that little something to kick start again, maybe a change in exercise or even an increase in intake and calories ? Use the the diary to work out what is best for you.

Good luck
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I agree. There seem to be an awful lot of know-it-alls on the boards. Some people just need to scale back. Do what is working for you and stay true to yourself! Good luck! :drinker:
    Yep, lots of know it alls looking to disprove everything people say (many times so rudely too). I'm so glad I already know what's right for my body and have no desire to defend it to anyone. Good luck OP! You need to figure out what works for you and probably stay away from all the question/advice threads.
  • hoosiermama1977
    Options
    I go through the same thing here - I get overwhelmed with it all and especially those who push eating "perfect". But you know one day I cleaned my cache so when I came back to MFP I had to log back in - and on the very first page it said something about "eating what you want" or something along those lines - basically it clicked for me - just do MY thing. Ignore the me hype. I do keep my food diary for friends only and I keep my friends list down to those people who are a good fit for me (not overly critical but supportive). Works a lot better that way. And if a thread looks like it'd drum up controversy I don't even read it.

I hope you can get that scale moving in the right direction again! Stalls are so frustrating, I've been at one myself. Hopefully shaking something up will help us both!
  • monkeybutter
    Options
    Just remember that what works well for one person may not work well for another. We're all different. Stick to what feels right for you.
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options

Totally This. Good Luck.