Parenting advice needed......

Options
2»

Replies

• dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Been there done that!

She sounds like a pre-pubescent girl who is unaware that there are other people on the planet. This is a little problem now, but will be really ugly when she is 16 or 18 and it's unchecked.

She needs more involvement in things which are not centered around her wants and desires. Martial Arts classes would be good. Volunteer work would be good. Household chores would be good.

While you say you don't spoil her. Apparently you don't insist on being treated with respect either. You need to say no often enough that she appreciates a yes. Her life and activites are not more important than yours and shouldn't be in her mind either.

The next time she wants to go to a friend's house tell her that she acted disrespectfully the last time and you're not going to repeat it. She'll act like you're killing her and being unreasonable. But just hang tough. She'll ask how long before I can go again. Tell her not until you feel that she'll treat you with respect and this tantrum isn't helping.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Apparently you don't insist on being treated with respect either.

whoa there dot. that sounds pretty harsh.

she came for advice, not to get criticized. she knows there is a problem with the behavior, that's the reason for asking for advice.
  • rosemarymint
    rosemarymint Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lucky! I am a single mother!!!!!! I get up everyday at 6 am, I get a child out of bed and I'm out the door by 7. I work all day 5 day's a week. My child has swim practice 3 day's a week and swim meets on weekends. I go to school at a local community college and take 2 classes this semester. I do this without help from anyone except my parents who are available for some afterschool care otherwise she goes to an after school program that I pay for. Oh, and I almost forgot...NO CHILD SUPPORT from the dead beat father whom I once thought was better than that. I do the best I can and other than a few moment's my daughter is a great kid. This is not an all the time problem, just a once in a while thing, and I was looking for creative ways ( not just the typical you cant have this and that until you straighten out yout tude thing) to deal with her when she's having her moments...might I add...we all have out moments even as adults. She shows me respect every day.

and that's all I have to say about that...otherwise...thank you, very much, for your input.
  • rosemarymint
    Options
    P.S. I'm not saying my life is harder than anyone else's. I made my choices and relish in the gifts I have been given.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lucky! I am a single mother!!!!!! I get up everyday at 6 am, I get a child out of bed and I'm out the door by 7. I work all day 5 day's a week. My child has swim practice 3 day's a week and swim meets on weekends. I go to school at a local community college and take 2 classes this semester. I do this without help from anyone except my parents who are available for some afterschool care otherwise she goes to an after school program that I pay for. Oh, and I almost forgot...NO CHILD SUPPORT from the dead beat father whom I once thought was better than that. I do the best I can and other than a few moment's my daughter is a great kid. This is not an all the time problem, just a once in a while thing, and I was looking for creative ways ( not just the typical you cant have this and that until you straighten out yout tude thing) to deal with her when she's having her moments...might I add...we all have out moments even as adults. She shows me respect every day.

and that's all I have to say about that...otherwise...thank you, very much, for your input.

I have 4 kids. My boys, very different and "easier" than the girls. My 16 yr old, thank God , matured and cut her attitude and is so fun now. Mind you, she went to a school this year 4 provinces away on a hockey scholarship, and I think being billetted and with a room mate, she's relized life and her siblings aren't that bad. I get that attitude at times with my 12 yr old. Very few, but more when she's tired. I have a No Tolerence Policy also. This is my house, you borrow a room until you're grown -clean it ,and do as I ask with my property or get out. You will respect us and others, especially adults, or you just don't get to go out for play dates or out with friends. To make a point, take her back or make her phone and thank them for the visit and apologize for her behavior. She'll think twice next time she acts like a 2 yr old. I call a spade a spade in my house. If you're gonna play games with me, lie, or be disrespectful, you will have to deal with the consequences. Taking stuff away from my kids never worked. Now that their older, they have to give me money. I have ALWAYS made the kids apologize for bad behavior to all people involved. But, now on the other side of the coin, all my kids know I will stand by them 100% and will fight tooth and nail for them to ANYONE. In fact, everyone of them has come to me for help and confided in me with a lot of their problems. The only other thing I do is make them do chores. Fold laundry, etc. Hang in there. I was a single Mom too. Just remember you are the boss, and even when you're mad, tell her you LOVE her:smooched: , and WHY you're punishing her. And always make her apologize for her bad actions. Maybe she's also acting out due to your divorce. I took my 1 son to a Psychologist at one point due to probs from our divorce and the rejection of his father. So, that's my words of wisdom for the month. Write me anytime you need to talk if you'd like. Take care.:heart::flowerforyou:
  • rosemarymint
    Options
    Thank you hot mom, but there is no divorce. Her "father" hasn't been a part of her life sense she was about 3 months old. She's never known him. My father is the male figure in her life, and in our situation she couldn't have a better representation of what a father should be. I know that I should be a bit harder on her, but she is already wise beyond her years. In the areas she is not beyond child...I still want her to be.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm...duct tape, comes to mind..lol, just kidding :laugh:

I have 7 girls and 1 son, and I do believe that she should lose priviledges. You need to follow through wih it, the most important thing in the world to her, is the item/event/friend that needs to kept from her. l YOU determine when she's learned her lesson. My 14 year old daughter as silly as it sounds her hair straightener is the ned all be all, mouth off, and you're going to school with curly hair, for her it's a nightmare, haha! I don't even get into the verbal matches any longer. There's no point they thrive on it. I give one warning, then I end that with if you start again then this....will be taken away, then I always give them a chance to start the conversation over and talk to me in an appropriate manner, heck with one of my daughters, I threw a fit right back. She thought I looked so silly and realized this is how she looked, she never did it again, I was lucky with that one....the others need punishment...hope I helped

just in case any one is wondering, I have twin 3 year old girls, quad girls now 14, a daughter who is 16 and son 17...plus right now, 5 foster children!!

BTW I think it's super cool that someone else has a ma mere puis un pa pere...c'est merveilleux!
  • hmo4
    Options
    Sorry for the assumption...well you asked for our advice. I've seen several of my friends' kids getting into trouble-it's a lot easier these days it seems, and now they're regretting they never made their kids do much and they weren't hard enough on them. And believe me, I know I have A LOT more trialling days to come!! :grumble:
  • hmo4
    Options
    hmmmmm...duct tape, comes to mind..lol, just kidding :laugh:

I have 7 girls and 1 son, and I do believe that she should lose priviledges. You need to follow through wih it, the most important thing in the world to her, is the item/event/friend that needs to kept from her. l YOU determine when she's learned her lesson. My 14 year old daughter as silly as it sounds her hair straightener is the ned all be all, mouth off, and you're going to school with curly hair, for her it's a nightmare, haha! I don't even get into the verbal matches any longer. There's no point they thrive on it. I give one warning, then I end that with if you start again then this....will be taken away, then I always give them a chance to start the conversation over and talk to me in an appropriate manner, heck with one of my daughters, I threw a fit right back. She thought I looked so silly and realized this is how she looked, she never did it again, I was lucky with that one....the others need punishment...hope I helped

just in case any one is wondering, I have twin 3 year old girls, quad girls now 14, a daughter who is 16 and son 17...plus right now, 5 foster children!!

BTW I think it's super cool that someone else has a ma mere puis un pa pere...c'est merveilleux!

Holy multiples!
  • rosemarymint
    Options
    Thank you Molsongirl and Hot mom. I was with her father for 2.5 years before she was thought of. I feel for her when she asks. molsom girl...God bless you for your care and commitment to children.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have God, and a wonderful in-vitro doctor to thank :laugh:
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I know you have a busy schedule with bein a single mom....I'm a single mom of 3 recently divorced, well almost a year and let me tell you its hard... I have 2 boys n a girl ages 9,6,3..The boys are my oldest ones...I have recently started taking my kids to counseling which some of you may think is dumb, but its not..I have my 9 yr old givin me tude already..Hes a very good loving boy but has a hard life due to some decisions I have made in mine...Hes a mixed child...I wouldnt change him for the world..but kids go through so much these days and some ppl are right we as parents are scared to discpline our kids due to the fact the school systems have told are childern if we spank them or yell at them we are abusing them..Thats a bunch of ****...My son came home one day n said "Mom they told us at school if you hit us or yell at us and we feel scared we are to call 9-1-1" My response was heres the phone next time you get in trouble call the cops and you better pray they get here fast..I dont whip my kids...I take things away and that seems to work for me..But maybe there is something your daughter wants to talk about but is scared to or she just doesnt know how to share things with mom or grandparents thats why I suggest maybe a school counselor..I'm saying that is your issue but explore everything that you can..I'm glad I did, I can tell its helping me and my kids..I was raised you was warned once and that was it or you got a good smack...Your doin a great job bein a mom dont let anyone tell you any different keep your head up and I hope things get better..:flowerforyou: