Sweat

Options
Why do some people sweat, sweat alot and some don't sweat at all? Me I feel like I sweat way more than others and always look around and ask myself why am I the only one dripping.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Excessive sweating or sweating too little can indicate underlying medical issues. Smoking, alcohol and caffeine contribute to oversweating. Fitness level and physique add to the mix. We're all different so it's not unusual.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Outside of medical conditions or fitness-level issues, genetics, mostly, I suspect.

I regularly row double with a woman who's not that different from me in relevant fitness level or effort, but I'm back there in the bow of the boat soaked in sweat when she just might have a tiny trickle of sweat someplace (at most) just a few feet away at the other end of the boat.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I sweat buckets but my friend, we with both lead fitness classes, was always dry as can be after she taught class when I needed a mop. It is a genetic thing. Sweat has nothing to do with fitness.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a pig. (Do pigs sweat?? Is that a non-PC question? Am I being insensitive to pigs??). Anyway - I have always sweated more than most. My entire life. The same with the majority of my siblings. Genetics???
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I’ve never been a sweater. Even when I’m doing farm work in the heat I don’t sweat much. No idea why.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a pig. (Do pigs sweat?? Is that a non-PC question? Am I being insensitive to pigs??). Anyway - I have always sweated more than most. My entire life. The same with the majority of my siblings. Genetics???

My memory could be misleading me, but I believe the reason pigs roll around in the mud is that they don't, in fact, sweat. Sweat is a body-heat-regulation mechanism, and since they don't sweat, they coat themselves in mud which cools them down (I guess body heat transfers to the mud by conduction?).
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I’ve never been a sweater. Even when I’m doing farm work in the heat I don’t sweat much. No idea why.

same. non-sweater here. If i'm sick I sweat though. like i can tell if i'm still recovering from sickness coz i will usually sweat a bit more where normally i wouldnt.

takes a lot to get me to sweat.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    +1 for genetics
    Whatever my fitness level and whatever my weight I sweat a lot.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've found I sweat more as I get older. I used to be that annoying person, barely flushed and glowing, now I'm the drippy tomato.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you only sweat a lot while working out, or most of the time? Are your palms sweaty during the day? I've known people with hyperhydrosis(over sweating) and one lady who barely sweats(hypo) so her face just gets really red in the heat. The hypers had excessively sweaty hands and feet, the man would sweat through his pants so that even his wallet and cash were damp. Does this sound like you? If not, then maybe you are used to a cooler room, you have more body fat, or you are not as fit as others around you? Or maybe you just worked harder 😉
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    I had a strange history with sweating.

When I was younger, and until I was 20/21, I hardly broke a sweat - ever. Hard work, hot weather, whatever, but I hardly sweated at all. Never, ever dripping wet even in military training.

Then, during an especially hot summer with the military in Texas, after nearly having heat stroke one particular day, I started sweating. It was like a switch went off in my body. Ever since then, when I'm exerting myself, especially when working out or other physical activity, I sweat buckets - sweat running down my face, into my eyes, soaking my clothes.

Thankfully it seems pretty regulated to workouts and the like, and I don't sweat when I wouldn't expect to be (such as sitting in the air conditioned office) and I don't feel overly warm (if anything, quite the opposite as I sit here wrapped in my office shawl because I was freezing).

But working out or being active outdoors when it's warm - yup, I'm a heavy sweat-er. Then again, during workouts I do sometimes think my level of exertion may be a bit higher than average too - just taking the martial arts class I recently joined, and comparing my effort to those around me (who've been doing it for years), and I think I have developed more "push" than some.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    hyperhidrosis and if it bothers you that much, look into botox as a treatment.
  • Sm3018
    Sm3018 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

When I was younger, and until I was 20/21, I hardly broke a sweat - ever. Hard work, hot weather, whatever, but I hardly sweated at all. Never, ever dripping wet even in military training.

Then, during an especially hot summer with the military in Texas, after nearly having heat stroke one particular day, I started sweating. It was like a switch went off in my body. Ever since then, when I'm exerting myself, especially when working out or other physical activity, I sweat buckets - sweat running down my face, into my eyes, soaking my clothes.

Thankfully it seems pretty regulated to workouts and the like, and I don't sweat when I wouldn't expect to be (such as sitting in the air conditioned office) and I don't feel overly warm (if anything, quite the opposite as I sit here wrapped in my office shawl because I was freezing).

But working out or being active outdoors when it's warm - yup, I'm a heavy sweat-er. Then again, during workouts I do sometimes think my level of exertion may be a bit higher than average too - just taking the martial arts class I recently joined, and comparing my effort to those around me (who've been doing it for years), and I think I have developed more "push" than some.

That's exactly how I am...I have to wear long sleeve when I'm on the treadmill if not I will soak the machine and maybe other people beside me lol
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    For some people, it's just genetic.

For others, it can be weight related. More fat equals more insulation; a heavier person is also expending more energy to do any type of activity as compared to someone who weighs less. Someone who is overweight might also be out of shape, although that's not a given. All of those things could contribute to increased sweating.

After I lost weight, my body's entire response to heat changed. I now get cold more easily and handle heat better.

You can ask your doctor about prescription antiperspirants or other treatments if that's something you'd want to pursue.

Sources:
    https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-89527-7_3
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/reading-room/aad/general-dermatology/78371
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0190962219300933?via=ihub
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've found I sweat more as I get older. I used to be that annoying person, barely flushed and glowing, now I'm the drippy tomato.

I am the opposite. I still think I sweat more than average, but it is much less troublesome than when I was younger. As a teenager, I vividly remember making clothing choices based on which fabrics and colors would not show giant pit stains halfway through the school day. I would even sweat in the cold. It was horrible. Now, at nearly 40, my sweating is thankfully confined to appropriate situations.

I definitely think it is a combination of genetics and hormones.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Sm3018 wrote: »

That's exactly how I am...I have to wear long sleeve when I'm on the treadmill if not I will soak the machine and maybe other people beside me lol

I have always sweat a TON during workouts. I am talking dripping so much I bring a change of clothes for halfway through my workout. It has always been super embarrassing and why I hated group sports as a kid.

I also wear long sleeves or a sweater at the gym or else I will be freezing after I am soaking with sweat. My dad is the same way. I don't sweat much during normal daily activity, only when I am pushing myself working out. I notice when others seem to sweat during daily activity (on a walk, going up lots of stairs, hot day) I don't, it is only during workouts.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    Options
    I generally don't sweat a lot, apart from on my head. Oh well... bad luck.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

My memory could be misleading me, but I believe the reason pigs roll around in the mud is that they don't, in fact, sweat. Sweat is a body-heat-regulation mechanism, and since they don't sweat, they coat themselves in mud which cools them down (I guess body heat transfers to the mud by conduction?).

Pigs would rather have water than mud. Just the water soaks into the ground and makes mud. As the water evaporates, it cools them, like an evaporative water cooler.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    My mother sweat a lot. I assumed it was because of her weight. (She was obese.) I didn't sweat that much when I was younger, but now I sweat just like she did, even though I'm not overweight. I got back from a humid run this morning and looked like I had just gotten out of the pool. My clothes were not just wet, they were soaked and dripping.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Humans sweat. It's a body temperature regulatory system.

Some people complain about it. Some don't. It's the same system, either way, doing what it's supposed to do.