Looking to build, Calorie increase

I have been building for a few weeks now, (super new to this) gained a few pounds. My question is in regards to calories.

My Calorie intake is supposed to be 2800 daily
The actual calorie intake I'm doing is 3200 daily
Should I be in taking more calories because of the heavy lifting? And if so, how should I calculate this?

Thanks everyone

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    DM88ENT wrote: »
    I have been building for a few weeks now, (super new to this) gained a few pounds. My question is in regards to calories.

My Calorie intake is supposed to be 2800 daily
    The actual calorie intake I'm doing is 3200 daily
    Should I be in taking more calories because of the heavy lifting? And if so, how should I calculate this?

Thanks everyone

When you say your calorie intake is "supposed to be 2800" is that to maintain? If so, you want to be 250 to 300 above that if you are trying to gain muscle ei. bulk. More than that and you gain will be too high a % of fat.

It would be helpful to respond more accurately if you shared your height, weight and goals. Also, BF % of you know it.
  • DM88ENT
    DM88ENT Posts: 31 Member
    Hey thanks for responding.
    I'm 5'6
    Current weight: 173lbs
    Goal weight: 185lbs
    Body fat %: unknown (I'll get back to you)

The 2874 is based on macro calculator

Calorie recommendation based on calculator 3180

Because of weight lifting, I know I'm burning calories, should it be 3180 Net after burned calories? Or actually higher because of burned calories through weight lifting?
  • mmapags
    That accounts for the weight lifting. Weight training is not a huge calorie burner.

At 5'6" and 173, I wouldn't be looking to gain if I were you. 185 will have you in an overweight BMI. Also, bulking is most effective at 15% bodyfat or less. At your height and weight, I'd guess you are not there. So, your gain will be a suboptimal amount of fat.

Consider recomp to build muscle and drop fat. Eat at maintenance and lift.

• DM88ENT
    mmapags wrote: »
    That accounts for the weight lifting. Weight training is not a huge calorie burner.

At 5'6" and 173, I wouldn't be looking to gain if I were you. 185 will have you in an overweight BMI. Also, bulking is most effective at 15% bodyfat or less. At your height and weight, I'd guess you are not there. So, your gain will be a suboptimal amount of fat.

Consider recomp to build muscle and drop fat. Eat at maintenance and lift.

Im with you, I should be at 135/145 with my height and age. I'm looking to be stocky ( I got bored lol, same slim 135/145 my lifetime)

What scale do you recommend for determining body fat % . I will go buy one
  • DM88ENT
    I probably burn more calories than normal, I lift free weights iny garage in Arizona, 110-115 degrees and worst inside a garage
  • mmapags
    Scales are pretty useless in terms of being accurate. Look for a Dexa Scan or Hydrostatic testing for accuracy. Or search for pictures for an estimate. It's never precise.

Just fyi, working out where it's hot and sweating more =/= increased calorie burn. That is determined by the work (mets). Hot or cold, the burn is the same.
  • DM88ENT
    edited July 2019
    Scales are pretty useless in terms of being accurate. Look for a Dexa Scan or Hydrostatic testing for accuracy. Or search for pictures for an estimate. It's never precise.

Just fyi, working out where it's hot and sweating more =/= increased calorie burn. That is determined by the work (mets). Hot or cold, the burn is the same.

Hehehe u can see how new I am to weight lifting/body building. Read numerous articles online. Excuse my ignorance lol. I haven't fully worked out since in school over 10yrs ago. Thanks for insight
  • mmapags

Hehehe u can see how new I am to weight lifting/body building. Read numerous articles online. Excuse my ignorance lol. I haven't fully worked out since in school over 10yrs ago. Thanks for insight

Glad to help.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    The way to judge if you are eating enough calories is progress in your barbell training program. You are doing a barbell training program right?

Squat still going up? Probably eating enough. Lifts stalled? Probably not eating enough.

Also protein is king make sure you get enough then add in carbs/fat to make up the difference...
  • DM88ENT
    wiigelec wrote: »
    The way to judge if you are eating enough calories is progress in your barbell training program. You are doing a barbell training program right?

Squat still going up? Probably eating enough. Lifts stalled? Probably not eating enough.

Also protein is king make sure you get enough then add in carbs/fat to make up the difference...

Yes I have a routine with barbells. Seems as if I'm stalling.

I don't feel as strong as when I first started working out. I burn out faster. I need more carbs possibly?

Protein I am currently taking 1.2 G per pound.
  • mmapags

Yes I have a routine with barbells. Seems as if I'm stalling.

I don't feel as strong as when I first started working out. I burn out faster. I need more carbs possibly?

Protein I am currently taking 1.2 G per pound.

How many weeks since you started this program and what program is it? Does it have reloads built in? What is your carb intake? Are you doing low carb? You protein intake is fine.
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member

So you're saying the weight you felt was hard should feel lighter the more you eat/ the heavier you get?
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    tec9goo wrote: »

So you're saying the weight you felt was hard should feel lighter the more you eat/ the heavier you get?

No, they're saying that if you're eating enough then your body should be putting on muscle to make that weight easier to lift (feel lighter), assuming you're on a decent progressive overload lifting program and getting the right amount of protein to support muscle protein synthesis (muscle building).

If you're not on a good lifting program and not getting enough protein then you could just be gaining fat, in which case you won't be able to lift any more than you started with.
  • ethantelfer39
    ethantelfer39 Posts: 34 Member
    Shoot me a message about bulking if you want. I know a thing or two
  • mmapags

Then put out here in public so other's can benefit too. Why the secrecy?
  • DM88ENT
    GaryRuns wrote: »

No, they're saying that if you're eating enough then your body should be putting on muscle to make that weight easier to lift (feel lighter), assuming you're on a decent progressive overload lifting program and getting the right amount of protein to support muscle protein synthesis (muscle building).

If you're not on a good lifting program and not getting enough protein then you could just be gaining fat, in which case you won't be able to lift any more than you started with.

Great thanks. I will keep an eye on this. I may need to restructure my lifting program. . Thanks for your time.
  • DM88ENT

Cool I sure will. Do you follow a certain weight lifting program?
  • mmapags
    edited August 2019

Cool I sure will. Do you follow a certain weight lifting program?

My guess is he's a PT recruiting clients. Just to be aware...

15 posts and needs a PM to reveal his "secrets". Seen this game before.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Haha unfortunately no that is not the case. It gets hard and then it gets harder then it gets even harder. Half the battle is eating right. The other half of the battle is learning how to grind for 5 seconds. If you can't force yourself to move a weight you've never moved before and are scared to death of (like literally worried all day long and sick to your stomach and shaking before you lift) it doesn't matter what you eat or what program you do you won't be able to get stronger...