Walking to the grocery store

Options
umfan85
umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
I decided last night that I was going to make a homemade pizza to satisfy this insane pizza craving. Later that evening, I thought of a great idea. I decided to walk to the grocery store early the next morning to buy the ingredients. I just got back from doing this, and it worked great. The grocery store is only about a mile each way. Didn't take me long at all.

Does anybody else do this? I would love to know any tips, or advice. I am planning on doing this once or twice a week.

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan! No walking to the grocery store for me, they're all on the other side of my town and I am not walking with 20 bags on me ;-) Occasionally, I'll walk to our CVS with my oldest son to pick up something. A good time to spend some alone time with him without his little brothers tagging along.
  • adnama36
    adnama36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot, too. I live about 1/2 mile from the grocery store, so if I have the time (and it's not a major shopping trip), I'll walk there. It feels great to be able to kill two birds with one stone...I'm getting exercise while checking an item off my To-Do list!
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My car broke down and needed towing on Friday. So today I am walking to church, the grocery store, and back home. Probably a 4-5 mile round trip. Mine is out of sheer necessity though. However, I would also like to be walking more - and it would be so nice if the walking I did was also productive and I could get a little shopping done at the same time.

I'm just planning on bringing my backpack so I can put whatever groceries I get in that. If it is really hot, take a waterbottle... otherwise, guess you don't need too much!

btw, I love your username and pic! I'm from Michigan (though I live in Denver now) and I went to UofM for grad school. =)
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I live about a mile from a plaza with a grocery store, Dollar General, etc. If I don't have too much to get, or if I just want to get out and get some fresh air, I'll walk up there. However, I live on a very busy road without the benefit of sidewalks so I don't do it as much as I would like :ohwell:
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I live just a few min. from the store, so I strap the baby on me, the backpack and gear up with the stroller for my other daughter, and we go shopping! I have the back pack and the basket in the stroller, I can get a fair amount of things. I am just now learning how much is too much to carry!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes I do walk. lol I don't drive so I have to, and I enjoy it. I use reusable cloth shopping bags that I can hang on my shoulders and this makes it easier to carry heavy loads - when I use the plastic shopping bags they dig into my hands.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do this more often! Unfortunately, the store that is close is my least favorite one. Also, I usually have to buy 3 gallons of milk each time I go. I would have the stroller with me but it is usually pretty full of kid!

I guess I will just have to try to do it more often when I only need a couple of items.
  • Quiltmania
    Options
    When I was in college and had no car, I would ride my bike a mile to the store. I would bring a backpack and one of those wheeled, wire carts (don't know if you can still get those). I'd pack my groceries in the backpack and cart, attach the cart to the bike with bungee cords and ride home. It looked a little silly but it worked.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have already begun to think about things I probably won't want to walk home with, i.e Ice Cream!

It was really nice though, nice motivating start to a Sunday. I will attempt to make it a regular weekly habit.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have already begun to think about things I probably won't want to walk home with, i.e Ice Cream!

It was really nice though, nice motivating start to a Sunday. I will attempt to make it a regular weekly habit.

I don't buy ice cream either on these trips - it would probably melt on the way home! :)

I do this several times a week. Sometimes I take a long route when I have time. There's a supermarket about 1 km from my place. Last Monday I went on Google Maps and worked out a long route and my walk ended up being 6kms :) Sometimes on my way home from work I get off the subway a stop or two early where I know there is a supermarket, do my shopping, and walk home.
    Keep it up! :)