Hypothyroidism

Options
hi there. Im new to MFP. Wondering if others out there with hypothyroidism have any words of wisdom?

Replies

• dmbnj
    dmbnj Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nope. My TSH and weight have been creeping up since February.
  • tradkins12
    Options
    I have it. I take Synthroid 1 time a day.

I actually had my Dr put me on Adipex to jump start my weight loss. Down 29lbs 5 weeks. I also watch what I eat, log everything on MFP, only drink water and workout 6 days a week for at least 30 minutes.
  • crnaiwilb
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. My levels have been rock stable for ten yrs. I am curious though if anyone has any helpful strategies that they have found related to weight loss with this condition. I have a familial slow metabolism, compounded by the hypothyroidism. Theoreticallyi think since my levels are normal, this should not hamper my wt loss, but sstill curious.
    Are they adjusting your medicine.?
  • crnaiwilb
    Options
    Excellent! Glad to hear this, thanks
  • JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism. Since starting on Levothyroxine I have lost over 2 stone (28lbs). I joined MFP when my weight loss ground to a halt, and then discovered my medication needed adjusting. As long as your TSH is stable you will still lose weight on here. Good luck with your journey :happy:
  • song2sing
    song2sing Posts: 183
    Options
    My hypoth has not interfered with my weight loss. I have to work a little harder to lose the lbs, but with my Levothyroxine, I am doing alright since starting MFP in February of 2011. My exercise is increasing, with no problem, and I'm feeling great! Not even so tired as I was before I started MFP!

It is definitely not an excuse for me, just working with it and through it, don't even notice that I have it!!

Here for you!
    song2sing!

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can talk some more!:flowerforyou:
  • atachauer
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have congential hypothyroidism and have to take 200mcg Sodium Levothyroxine per day- I am rubbish at taking them regularly and over a long period of time so my thyroxine levels fluctuate and I have to say it has had a huge effect on my weight loss (lack of) success, I am getting people at home and a few friends at work to remind me or ask me if i have taken it each day (when I was at home i had my parents on my case!)
    I am in a good routine at the moment and hope it helps my metabolism! So making sure your dose it correct and taking medication is a key factor...... *slaps self on wrist*
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If your levels are stable, then it shouldn't be a hinderance. Personally, I have to tell my doctor that I want more tests than he normally does and almost every time I'm out of whack.

About a year ago, I was struggling to lose weight, but I was at least able to slow the progression of gaining it. I was only exercising and not tracking food. Honestly, I was barely able to exercise, because I found out my meds were wayy too low of a dose.

Then, my dosage got adjusted around the first of the year, and I started feeling better about life in general. A few months ago, I noticed that between my migraines and my hypothyroidism, I was feeling the best I had in my adult life. For once, the meds were all at the right dosages singing in perfect harmony. So, I decided that if there was ever a time to try and lose weight, this would be it.

Since I am feeling more energy, most of my struggles with weight loss seem to be the same as anyone else. I have to have discipline to work out and challenge myself. I have to be honest with what I'm eating, and try not to eat out too much. I have to find time to plan my meals and workouts and actually follow through with those plans. It's just like any healthy person wanting to lose weight. There's nothing standing in my way other than bad habits.

If your levels are stable, you are very lucky, and you should capitalize on that. What have you done so far to try to lose weight? Are you having symptoms despite the stable lab results? If so, I'd ask your doctor if you need tests run for vitamin deficiencies, blood disorders, etc. If you are feeling fine, get off your butt and lift some weights, then go make a healthy dinner. :)
  • crnaiwilb
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses!
  • knj12
    knj12 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am also affected by Hypothyroidism. I am on 175 mcg of synthroid once a day. In my personal situation, I have found that I can lose the weight, but I have to be diligent about diet and exercise.
  • XiaoRuRu
    XiaoRuRu Posts: 83
    Options
    Hey all, I'm new here. I'm also hypothyroid and am currently on 60mg of Armour Thyroid a day, with a potential increase coming later this week after blood results come back.

I've been on this dosage for two months since my diagnosis and I haven't gained weight. However, since I'm am an Olympic level couch potato I'm surprised. I've been watching what I eat, but there are days where I am bad and totally blow every single meal. And there isn't much result on the scale when I do that. I suspect my meds aren't strong enough and are only doing about half of what they should be.

I exercised for an hour everyday on the Wii FIt Plus and started counting calories about a month ago. Still no results. Now I'm hoping that MFP will help me monitor more closely. But seriously, I don't ever even lose a half a pound. Is this my thyroid undermining me? Tips anyone?
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    My only real advice would be don't give up! I've seen a lot of people like us (hypo) who when they don't get the results they want right away or even over a stretch of time they give up. Just keep trying. It'll come together sooner or later. You just may have to work harder and eat better than other people! (Or maybe not!) Good luck!
  • XiaoRuRu
    XiaoRuRu Posts: 83
    Options
    Ok update: my doc bumped me up to 90mg and what a world of difference! I started it this morning and I've got a great feeling. I am happy and alert, I have energy (not excessive) and I feel great!
    I think I can finally get moving on this weight loss thing.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yup. My symptoms aren't fully in check yet (yay more blood tests), but I'm doing sooo much better. Beforehand, I was exercising and dieting to PREVENT weight gain.

Weight loss is slow for me, but the numbers are at least going down. I find that remaining active really helps me feel better in general.
  • SewRue
    SewRue Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Glad to know that I'm not the only one struggling with hypothroidism. I've had it since I was 13 and I've been on or around 200 mcg since then. It's my own fault that my weight goes up and down because I am not consistent with taking it but I'm better now.

Does anyone else notice a big difference when they take it? I notice that I'm not always searching for food. I'm less hungry and don't crave for anything. I can go longer without eating too. Maybe it's my subconscious but whatever it is I see the difference in my habits.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I have been on meds since 2008 and just got my levels checked. Some docs say TSH should be under 5, but I think the new range is under 3. My doc keeps my level under 3. I have been tired the last couple of weeks so I had bloodwork this morning. Maybe I need my dose adjusted too.
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey not sure if I am too late to reply but my doctor keeps my levels at 0-2. Since we do have hypothyroidism we are not normal people which mean our levels should be lower than a normal persons or so this is what my Endo believes. I must say I do agree with her because I feel like my old self again. My only advice is whenever you are feeling tired and sluggish and you are doing everything right (eating, sleeping, workingout) and nothing seems to get you outta that "funk" then I suggest asking for a test. Another thing... I was talking to a fellow hypo and she looks amazing! Great body and very healthy. She says she eats kinda like a body builder but it works! Lean proteins, steamed veggies and the protein shakes as well as cardio in the mornings and evenings. I have to admit when I first started I thought I would not see a change, but after 3 weeks I FEEL a change and to me that is the most important thing! Clothes fit better and Im getting better at all this working out business. :)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have been having a very hard time with my weight for the last year, and I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I started taking 75mcg of levothyroxine yesterday. My doctor did not tell me very much at all about my test results or hypothyroidism in general, just that I should be feeling better in 6-8 weeks (and I go in for blood work then to see how my levels are doing). I have the paper with my blood work and it said that my tsh 3rd gen. level was 8.86. Until seeing this forum, I had no clue what that even meant. Now I am thinking that it sounds very high. I am really hoping to see some progress with the new medication...weight loss would of course be wonderful, but even getting back some energy would be amazing!
  • spim
    spim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've had low thyroid levels for most of this year now after having a dose increase and not having bloods done so my level was too low for a long time, I just had an increase about 9 weeks ago and more bloods that came back the next day saying I needed an even higher dose, which i've been taking for a week or so.

I've had lots of problems with losing weight and have only really started to lose in the last week or so, by forcing myself to go for a walk every day for 30-45 minutes, even when I feel completely exhausted and just want to sleep.

After the walks I usually feel the best I have done all day for a couple hours, which is a great time to try and do some light stretching and try and keep the metabolism up a little if you can, before completely crashing out for the day and waking up after 8 hours feeling like I could easily sleep another 8.

It's worth noting for people that have recently been diagnosed or do not realise, it's very important to take your pills at the same sort of time everyday, and bear in mind that having food up to an hour later can lower the effectiveness by up to 20%.

There's nothing to body likes more than routine, especially when it's trying to establish normal chemical levels.

Also, to the person that said because we have hypothyroidism, we should always be expected to have lower levels, that's completely not true, the entire basis of the medication is that we are supposed to re-attain normal levels of chemicals, and there's no reason why you wouldn't demand 100% levels the same as a normal person from your physician, as I know I do!