Running / Walking Friction Burns

Options
Did an unusually long run and walk this morning. I ended up with large red friction burns under my arms, from rubbing as I pump my arms.

I didn’t realize I had done so til I climbed in the shower and they started stinging.

Any suggestions for easing the burns, and prevention in future? I’ve gotten small ones before, but nothing like these.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it myself as I haven't experiened chafing yet. However, many have mentioned Body Glide as being very effective for preventing chafing. Have you looked at this product?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Fresh Balls - goes on like a lotion, dries like a powder, and it doesn't sting when you apply it where you already have friction burns.

Amazon Fresh Balls
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks guys!!!! I sprayed some Dr Mist on it but it’s a salt deodorant spray and just about lit me up when I did. I’ll be remembering that for a few days!

An ounce of prevention......
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    A&D cream is inexpensive and effective. Otherwise,Aquaphor, ChamoisButtr, Tri Glide, etc
    A&D and Aquaphor will help with healing too.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Body glide has been my savior when it comes to preventing chafing. I tried Vaseline in the past, and it was effective, but I started getting weird stains on my running shirts so I switched and haven't had the problem since.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Body Glide is good, but I am a huge fan of the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel--it's dimethicone, non-greasy, non-staining, fragrance-free, and it goes on smoother than Body Glide. I use the Monistat gel on my thighs any time I wear a skirt without hosiery in the summer--not just for working out.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Body Glide for both pre run and post run if I miss a spot or two and chafe
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hear Glide is good for prevention. Diaper cream works great after the fact. True, you may not want to go in public with white cream all over your arms, but if you are in for the night, it really helps heal up chafing.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I use RunGuard, which is similar to Body Glide for preventing chafing. After the fact I use a sunburn gel that has aloe and lidocaine to ease the pain and heal the chafing.
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I love to run, but chafing is the devil. I use Run Guard, too. It's awesome!
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I use paw paw ointment and then tea tree oil after the first day
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Paper tape over areas prone to friction for prevention. Many options to apply as a moisturizer...white petrolatum/aquaphor, eucerin/ceramides, cocoa butter
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Vaseline or baby powder is cheap and effective. Vaseline is good because has no smell
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Vaseline or baby powder is cheap and effective. Vaseline is good because has no smell

The other great thing about vaseline/advantage being inert (least likely product to cause contact dermatitis)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

The other great thing about vaseline/advantage being inert (least likely product to cause contact dermatitis)

disadvantage: stains clothing.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

I like Vaseline and I’m willing to sacrifice an old workout shirt for it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

I started with Vaseline thinking the same thing, but the weird nipple stains on my run shirts proved larger and more upsetting than I'd expected. Admittedly, I've got pretty bad social anxiety, which doesn't help.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

the only thing i spend money on is decent workout clothes. so i am not willing to do so. plus i often use my running gear as yoga clothes too. as a teacher, again, not willing to do so.
    but that's just me
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I give an umpteenth vote for Body Glide. It's quite literally the best.