Very Short but Effective Work out ideas needed!

Options
Hello All,

Ive never been a fan of exercise, I love dancing but had to give up the classes after having my baby last year as my hubby works shifts and i just couldnt get to them regularly.

I am starting Tap dance in september but need an exercise routine that target redcing my tummy, arms and bum that i can do 3-4 times a week and doesnt take more than 20 mins to complete.

Why the short time frame?

My baby has very short naps, so by time i have put her in her cot to sleep i generally have about 20-30 mins before she wakes up and I can forget trying to do them when she is awake! she is constantly climbing on me!

She does however enjoy being used as weights when i try and lift her in the air 20-30 times....(may as well make use whilst i can still lift her!)

I know I wont see results straight away but at least it may help.

I cant get to a gym (no money or time!) so need to do them in my living room and preferabbly using no more equipment than the floor and inflatable exercise ball.

Thanks for any advice you can give - Im already doing sit ups , girly push ups and hula hooping for 6 mins....

Alex
xx

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels workout videos like 30 day shred.. I know a lot of people are fans of that, and thats a whole body workout with weights I believe and it only takes 20 to 30 minutes to get done.
  • texancountess
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a great workout for the time frame. The actual workout is only 24 minutes long, so it'd be perfect for nap times. She also has a 6 Week 6 Pack DVD that is also about 30 minutes long. I've done both of them and I much prefer the Shred to the other. Good luck!
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet, but I hear the workouts at bodyrock.tv are short but intense.
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/
  • siobherz
    siobherz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    one i've found really good is this 300 rep one - can be done in about 15 mins or less and gets your heart going plus my arms and legs deff look better - i do combine this with other cardio n stuff but this is my short one that means i dont feel guilty if i dont do anythin else :p

25-push ups
    25-lunges
    25-tricep dips
    25-squats
    25-bicycle sit ups
    50-jumping jacks

then repeat all but the jumping jacks. probably the 30ds is alot better but i find this effective and u can literally do it anywhere and adapt hard moves in or add weight or reps to improve. good luck :)
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels workout videos like 30 day shred.. I know a lot of people are fans of that, and thats a whole body workout with weights I believe and it only takes 20 to 30 minutes to get done.
    yes!! exactly the reason I love it...it's short and intense!!
  • chinamonkey
    chinamonkey Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    one i've found really good is this 300 rep one - can be done in about 15 mins or less and gets your heart going plus my arms and legs deff look better - i do combine this with other cardio n stuff but this is my short one that means i dont feel guilty if i dont do anythin else :p

25-push ups
    25-lunges
    25-tricep dips
    25-squats
    25-bicycle sit ups
    50-jumping jacks

then repeat all but the jumping jacks. probably the 30ds is alot better but i find this effective and u can literally do it anywhere and adapt hard moves in or add weight or reps to improve. good luck :)

Thanks, now i am a moron when it comes to exercise terms but what are tricep dips? are they the ones where you hold onto a chair behind you and lower your bum to the floor?

And what are bicycle sit ups?

Thanks

I have ordered the 30 day shred dvd - £5.99 free postage on Amazon and i get double nectar points! yay!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet, but I hear the workouts at bodyrock.tv are short but intense.

Seriously this, Bodyrock workouts are killer and most of them are like 12-25 minutes and there are even some 10 minute challenges. I would for sure pick Bodyrock over 30DS any day (and I've done them both)
  • Eliza1980
    Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Found this video on Youtube. It's only 5min long and you can repeat it as many times as you want. I usually do it at least twice through. Hope this helps!

http://youtu.be/o1Uc86SH6h4
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Found this video on Youtube. It's only 5min long and you can repeat it as many times as you want. I usually do it at least twice through. Hope this helps!

http://youtu.be/o1Uc86SH6h4

That looks great!! Thanks
  • chinamonkey
    chinamonkey Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links! i shall give them a go!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Seriously this, Bodyrock workouts are killer and most of them are like 12-25 minutes and there are even some 10 minute challenges. I would for sure pick Bodyrock over 30DS any day (and I've done them both)

This.

Also, google 'Tabata'. You can do virtually ANY exercise in tabata format...and trust me, you'll want to die by the end. Pushups, situps, jumping jacks...deadlifts, squats...whatever you like. Tabata's are only 4 minutes long...and if you think they won't be effective, try it lol.

What I do, is string my tabata workouts together. For example, my only form of cardio is my 100lb heavy bag. I do this for only 15 minutes, in tabata interval format. Three rounds of the 4 minute tabata, with a 1 minute break in between. Seriously, seriously intense workout.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options

This.

Also, google 'Tabata'. You can do virtually ANY exercise in tabata format...and trust me, you'll want to die by the end. Pushups, situps, jumping jacks...deadlifts, squats...whatever you like. Tabata's are only 4 minutes long...and if you think they won't be effective, try it lol.

What I do, is string my tabata workouts together. For example, my only form of cardio is my 100lb heavy bag. I do this for only 15 minutes, in tabata interval format. Three rounds of the 4 minute tabata, with a 1 minute break in between. Seriously, seriously intense workout.

This x 2 for real. I have a HRM and for 30DS I burn about 160 calories in 22 or so minutes. Compare that to 4 rounds of tabata (so around 16 minutes or so) about 280 calories, depending on which exercise you use. Obviously there are greater benefits to tabata that just straight calorie burn, but for calories burned: time ratio nothing beats tabata. Killer...
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Look into a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout ...look into turbo fire ...I love that program.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    SELF magazine has some great 15-20 minute workouts! I highly recommend them!
  • lorettatat
    Options
    Bump