Ladies - question about that time of the month

Options
Hi ladies and fellow fitness pals!

Ladies do you find that you have uncontrollable chocolate/crisps/trash food binges during that 'special time of the month'?
Help!! I ALWAYS over-eat when I am on my period? :((((
Any tips/empathy?

xoxo

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Amykimber
    Amykimber Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep, chinese food for me.... ok, that's all the time as well...ahem.

But I also feel so sick that I only really like eating non-sickening things like mint tea and fruit.

Oh and forget exercise, it's all I can do to get into work and down painkillers and chain drink tea - when I think I can make it to the kitchen without crawling. Cooking is right out!

I suppoe I should cook things beforehand and then just re-heat, but the whole things it so horrible i don't want to think about it...

>sigh<
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I certainly empathize. My period food used to be raw cookie dough. Now I plan ahead of time and give myself a little bit of wiggle room for not so healthy foods. I eat super healthy meals, low calorie, low sugar, so that I have the wiggle room to eat a not so low calorie/sugar snack. It gets better :)
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I def want chocolate and lots of it!
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    loads of sympathy, but a bit short on advice. When I don't overdo it, it is because I just don't have those things available. That is about the only thing that works for me.
  • klacoille
    Options
    I crave salty things. So light mircowave popcorn is what saves me from misery.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    i usually have a major snack attack the first day or 2
    but I always try to keep healthy stuff in the pantry/fridge.
    yogurt, veggies, hummus, trail mix (usually has some chocolate pieces in it),
    sometimes even frozen yogurt.
    You might want to try drinking more water, when you feel hungry you may actually be thirsty.
    thirst feels the same trigger response as hunger.
  • ohdearlaura
    ohdearlaura Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals ahead. Lots of low cal stuff so you can eat more for the calories. Also, if you have a craving for sugar, try fruit like a plum or a peach or an apple, etc.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I find that if I do not satisfy my chocolate craving, bad things happen to me. I get those Hershey's nuggets, they're 50 calories apiece, and have a couple if I feel that my blood chocolate levels are low.
    A girl needs her chocolate.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    You have my sympathy! My cravings vary, but they are usually a taste, like fatty or salty-sweet. I'll get a craving and to keep it at bay think of things that would match the craving even better...keeps me on track for a while. Then when I find the perfect match (or can't stand it any longer) I'll let myself have the smallest portion so I keep close to my goals. For me it does no good to just say 'no', so I try to manage it.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I used to use TOM as my excuse to eat bad. But now that I have been eating better and exercising, I don't want to eat junk food. It does pop in my head from time to time to eat something bad. It is my TOM right now. I did eat a Snickers last week but I made sure I stayed within my calories for the day.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    YES! I did have these! I'm on Shakeology now, so I don't have any cravings, but I'd say give any kind of chocolate meal replacement shake a try during that time, be it Shakeology, Chocolate milk blended with ice, Slim Fast, Ensure, Carnation....especially those that have a wide variety of nutrients. Chances are, our bodies are craving something that we're either burning a lot of during that time of month on top of it being a hormonal thing.
  • uk_angeldust
    uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thank u all for your lovely comments - It defo feels good to know I am not the only one lol....
    I guess the best way to tackle these urges are by planning my meals ahead - even though I am pretty bad at that LOL

hugs to all
    xoxoxo
  • prettyprpro
    prettyprpro Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow, did all of our periods come on at the same time? Lol! My biggest craving is sweets! I messed up this month, but next month, I am going to go for fruits to fulfill my sweet craving.
  • SaraBeth4skinnyme
    Options
    Absolutely! Lots of chocolate! I just started dieting within the last couple of weeks, and my first week in was my "special" time of the month. When I was craving something sweet, I tried to go for sugar free chocolate pudding, light yogurts, Skinny Cow ice cream snacks, and fresh fruit. It helped keep my calorie count low and my cravings satisfied.

I also found that I did not have the motivation to go walk at the gym. But, once I got there, walking seems to help some of the cramping issues etc. And, I felt better that I had walked knowing that I was going to eat a Skinny Cow when I got home.

I hope I helped a little. It's great to have a community like this to discuss our troubles and share our tips and tricks. Lots of luck to you!
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    I find that if I do not satisfy my chocolate craving, bad things happen to me. I get those Hershey's nuggets, they're 50 calories apiece, and have a couple if I feel that my blood chocolate levels are low.
    A girl needs her chocolate.
    I find if I don't have chocolate bad things happen to OTHER PEOPLE!! LOL Gotta have chocolate!
  • uk_angeldust
    uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    hahahh....good one!!! That is another thing i have to work on - MY TEMPER during that time of the month - my poor boyfriend..... :P