People who work full time how do you find time to work out

Hello everyone!

In past I had lost 40 pounds and was able to maintain a healthy lifestyle (i was in college). As soon as I started working (desk job) I started gaining all my weight back. After working for 8 hours every day I have no energy or motivation left to go to the gym and it’s really hard to wake up early in the morning to go to gym since I have such little time now.

How do you guys do it? How do you manage time, find motivation and energy to go to gym? What does your schedule look like?

Would really appreciate all the help!

Replies

• Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    I do most of my workouts in the morning - up at 4:45, gym or run, then go to work with my backpack full of work clothes and get ready there (we have a shower). Some days I run at lunch or after work as well (or go to yoga) - I just bring my workout clothes with me. I work a standard 8 to 5 office job.
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    I work out from 4:30-5:30am, get kids & myself ready and off to school/work by 7:30am, work 8-4:30, pick up everyone, activities or chill in the evenings.
  • effervescent11
    effervescent11 Posts: 39 Member
    I was on that hamster wheel. That's the terrible thing about a desk job, you're so sedentary. Do you have a gym near work? I do my cardio during my lunch and then eat at my desk. I do weights when I get home. I also make small changes, such as parking my car a bit further, or standing up when I'm on the subway home. I wake up at 7 a.m., leave the house at 7:30. I work from 8 to 4, and I usually work out around 1 p.m.

It's good that you want to exercise, but the majority of weight loss starts in the kitchen. Make sure you pack your lunch. It's healthier and easy to do portion control. Good luck!
  • Nfedewa9442
    Nfedewa9442 Posts: 30 Member
    Honestly, it’s kind of unfair because I work in a physically demanding job outside, so I get that exercise in. With that said, I do wake up at 4:00 and go to the gym because of family obligations after work. Does it suck, yeah. It what do you want from your body and how do you achieve that? You should never be comfortable in what you’re doing. Make the time for your body, so it will extend time for your life. Hope this helps some
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    I workout after work most days, like others have said. I take my lunch and my workout clothes to my boring bank job. I travel for work a couple of weeks a month. I drive from KC to St. Louis on these trips. I have found multiple places to walk along the drive and I go to Planet Fitness so I can work out anywhere they have a gym. It's great! Don't let work be an excuse to not exercise. Even if you only do it 2 days during the workweek and 2 days on the weekend you get 4 days a week. When it's hot like it is now, I wake up super early on the weekends to get my miles in before it gets too hot.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    I'd imagine that most of us here probably work full time. I have difficulty motivating myself, so I've found group classes as a great way to exercise even when I don't always have the drive to do it myself. I train at a martial arts gym, and I know that no matter how tired I am, all I have to do is show up and get myself there, and then I will get in the workout, because if I don't do it, I don't just have to answer to myself, but to a 3rd degree Krav Maga black belt. That keeps me moving. Once I get there and get into the exercise, the adrenaline usually gets me going even if I was tired before.

You don't need to workout to lose weight, but it can certainly assist. It's definitely helped me with losing 40 pounds and I feel much better from it.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    8-5 FT desk job, 2 kids, 45min each way commute.
    I schedule my classes ahead of time and it helps because its on my calendar. If I miss, they charge me so that keeps me in check too.
    I also pack my lunch so I go on quick 30min jog or walk during lunch break.

• sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    I go 3 times a week after work. I’m usually tired and don’t feel like it, but once I’m there I find it gives me an extra burst of energy. I’m always happy that I ended up going. In a million years I never thought I’d be the kind of person to say that, lol. I try to get a walk in at lunch time as well when I can.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    bhanvi30 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

In past I had lost 40 pounds and was able to maintain a healthy lifestyle (i was in college). As soon as I started working (desk job) I started gaining all my weight back. After working for 8 hours every day I have no energy or motivation left to go to the gym and it’s really hard to wake up early in the morning to go to gym since I have such little time now.

How do you guys do it? How do you manage time, find motivation and energy to go to gym? What does your schedule look like?

Would really appreciate all the help!

I'm up early...I don't go to the gym...a gym is not necessary. I'm up at 5:15/5:30 and out on my road bike around 6 AM. My weekday rides are typically 10 miles which takes me about 33 minutes...get home, shower, and I'm off to work.

A gym first thing in the morning would be a huge inconvenience for me...I'm a big believer in doing what you can do within the constructs of your schedule and other goings on. I used to go to the gym after work a few days per week to lift weights (that's all I ever used a gym for), but I'm taking a break right now because it doesn't really fit with the other goings on in my life so I'm doing bodyweight training at home for my resistance training.

Ultimately, it's something that is a priority, or it isn't...that said, your fitness regimen needs to be flexible to account for your schedule and other goings on. Sure...I'd love to go out and ride 20 miles every morning...but that simply doesn't work with my schedule...I'd love to hit the gym after work like I've done in the past, but that just doesn't work right now with the rest of my goings on, so I do bodyweight stuff. My fitness is a priority, but I don't always get to do exactly what I'd like to be doing...have to be flexible.