5k and bettering my time

Options
So I have recently gotten back to paying attention to my health and being active. (The forever battle...)
One of the key things I'm doing right now is running 3 miles once a week and doing cardio via an elliptical machine 2 other times, plus walking during work.

Right now my time for my run is 41m 30s. Its a slow run, but over the last 5 weeks its been getting better and better (starting at 52 minutes week 1).

What is the best way to bring down my time? I have a 5k in September and last year I went completely unprepared and did it in 39 minutes. That said the run I'm doing every week is a different path so I'm assuming that has some part in this. I just want to knock it out of the part to prove to myself that I can not only do it but also keep doing it.

I'm open to feedback and ideas! Thanks for your help.

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    When I first started running again my goal was 5k in under 30min. I used the C25K app. I ran 3-4 days a week. I personally think the best way to improve on anything is through regular practice.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    As stated above, one day a week isn't enough to see significant improvement after your initial fitness gains. Run more days and run more than 3 miles at a time.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    More running--in the sense of running more often, running farther, and giving it more time.

Most training plans at the beginner level would have you run every other day. Intermediate plans might incorporate 4 or 5 running days per week.

If your goal is to run 5k and not longer races, you can still benefit from building up to slightly longer distances. Working up to a 5 mile or so "long run" will help you increase your endurance.

Vary the pace of your runs. Most runs should be at a relatively slow pace, with occasional speedwork. Very few runs should be at the fastest pace possible.

You should also be thinking about seeing improvement over months and years, not weeks.

Here are some 5k plans at various levels: https://www.halhigdon.com/training/5k-training/#program-list
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    As others have said, long slow runs over longer distances are probably the best way to improve pace over shorter distances, with some speed work mixed in as a secondary. Like you, I'd been out of the running game for several years when I started back up in January. My 5k time in March was around 40 minutes. Since then, I've worked up to a 10k and am now working up to a half marathon. One of my workouts last week was a fast pace 5k, and I was surprised to find that I finished in 36 minutes (which was still a little short of full race effort). It makes a difference.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    more frequent runs will help increase your pace.
    longer runs(in time) will help increase your pace.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing cross training can help too. My 5k time is surprised good for a non runner, because my ticker gets a lot of exercise in other forms. Running is obviously better training for running.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    I would run at least 3 days per week and start increasing your distance.