Clothes

Options
aziz_n1
aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
Got really frustrated today with respect to available jacket lengths. So much so, that I took 9 jackets to the tailors today for shortening. Being a ‘shortie’ it’s really difficult to find clothes that are the right length when you buy them. Sometimes, I get lucky and find stuff the right length but generally trousers & jackets need altering for length. Any other ‘shorties’ out there feel the same way?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I know they have big and tall shops. There's not an equivalent for smaller people?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Whoa, I have never given this much thought but there totally need to be shops/brands for shorter men like there are petite section for shorter ladies.
  • aziz_n1
    Options
    It’s the same with smaller shoe sizes, they never carry enough stock, so the smaller sizes & probably bigger sizes too, sell out real fast on the best styles. Frustrating not being the average size person at times.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be frustrating finding clothes that aren’t too long. I’m 5’0”.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know a man who wears size 6 shoe. He says it takes a lot of shopping for a simple pair of dress shoes. Looks like you can shop online. Target and Amazon.
  • aziz_n1
    Options
    Trouble with shopping online is that if the item is not quite right, you then have the hassle of sending it back and arranging an exchange or refund.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Story of my life. Luckily in the UK we have some stores that carry petite ranges. Alternatively I just get things altered like you do. It's super annoying.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. At 4'9", just about everything needs to be shortened.
  • TanyaPeterman1
    TanyaPeterman1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try being tall and over weight! Manufacturers of clothes, think that if you are tall (5'9") that you MUST be skinny!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    try being tall and over weight! Manufacturers of clothes, think that if you are tall (5'9") that you MUST be skinny!

They also assume that if you’re short that you must be skinny.
  • aziz_n1
    Options
    To be fair to the clothing chains, it’s getting better. The other day I did see trousers with XS length at 27” while jackets/shirts are being offered now in a range of cuts and lengths, unlike the old days. It’s slow progress.
    Also, tailoring is expensive, again, unlike the old days when my dear mum (now 83yrs) used to do all the tailoring for the whole family, including knitting us all jumpers for ‘free.’ Sadly, she’s losing the dexterity in her hands and fingers to sew & knit like she used to. Used to be able to produce a jumper/week when knitting.
    A hand knitted jumper these days will cost close to or more than £100.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

I'm the same height and I have the opposite impression. Lots of "tall" clothing ranges start at a size that is too big for me.

I guess we're all supposed to be medium, in every aspect.