Raw natural honey

Little background: I always get my honey from a local farmers market. They harvest the honey from local hives within a 10 mile radius from my house. No middle man no factory. Pure raw natural honey.
With that being said
Is the raw natural honey that’s sold and made locally(within 10 miles) a better sugar substitute?
Or
Are you just swapping sugar for sugar and local raw natural honey isn’t any better than pure sugar cane sugar?
What is your input? Let me know. Any input greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    in terms of sugar being sugar - yep same *kitten*.

HOWEVER, honey has other benefits like antioxidants and *kitten*. Proper raw natural honey, not the store bought stuff.

Plus, it tastes good.

So yeah, if you like it - eat it.

I buy local farmer's honey too. We go through kilos of the stuff at my place.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Is there some importance regarding the distance to your house? What happens if you get honey harvested in a 20 mile radius? I also do not understand that 'natural' adjective. I was unaware there was a non-bee fabricated honey on the market. I really do not keep up with these things. Is my bear of honey in my cabinet somehow inferior? It never gets touched except when someone is ill. I use no sweeteners and she uses Splenda.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Is there some importance regarding the distance to your house? What happens if you get honey harvested in a 20 mile radius? I also do not understand that 'natural' adjective. I was unaware there was a non-bee fabricated honey on the market. I really do not keep up with these things. Is my bear of honey in my cabinet somehow inferior? It never gets touched except when someone is ill. I use no sweeteners and she uses Splenda.

the bear honey in your cupboard most likely "adulterated" honey. As in - doesn't have actual pollen from bees in it.

Now, this COULD all be bulldust, but the way I tell real honey from fake honey is that real honey crystallizes in winter, the honey bear in the cupboard never crystallizes. Fake honey has other stuff like syrup stuff added to it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2011/11/25/142659547/relax-folks-it-really-is-honey-after-all
  • NovusDies
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

the bear honey in your cupboard most likely "adulterated" honey. As in - doesn't have actual pollen from bees in it.

Now, this COULD all be bulldust, but the way I tell real honey from fake honey is that real honey crystallizes in winter, the honey bear in the cupboard never crystallizes. Fake honey has other stuff like syrup stuff added to it.

It has to have a lot of honey in it for it to be sold as honey. Why would I care if it isn't 100 percent? Syrup is still sugar so the product works as expected - it sweetens. I appreciate that it doesn't crystallize because in the winter is often when one of us is sick and may want to use it. I would be worried if they were adding cyanide to the honey but modifying it to make it more usable is probably what many consumers want. There is this craze that if you get something remotely unnatural that you are missing out on some elusive super health status. meh I will stick with losing weight and increasing exercise which are the chainsaws before worrying about syrup in my honey which may not even qualify as a plastic knife.
  • NovusDies
    You cannot buy corn syrup that is mostly honey for under $1.

It is also not silly it is just not what you would do. I get sick enough to drink tea and honey maybe every 3 years at which time I might consume a quarter cup of honey. This issue has next to no impact on my life and I would imagine I am not the only person with a bear of honey that seldom ever gets touched in their cabinet. Worrying myself about a product I use so little WOULD be silly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2019
    Sandeeng84 wrote: »
    Little background: I always get my honey from a local farmers market. They harvest the honey from local hives within a 10 mile radius from my house. No middle man no factory. Pure raw natural honey.
    With that being said
    Is the raw natural honey that’s sold and made locally(within 10 miles) a better sugar substitute?
    Or
    Are you just swapping sugar for sugar and local raw natural honey isn’t any better than pure sugar cane sugar?

Better for what?

If you're talking about losing weight, no there's no difference. They both have calories and those calories need to be logged just like any other calories.

Are you concerned about diabetes or other blood sugar issues? If so, then no there's no benefit. Sugar is sugar. There were some theories that honey helped stabilize BG, but nothing outside of a rat study showed anything.

Any other purported benefits are theoretical and have not been able to be proven scientifically. Some people claim consuming raw local honey improved their seasonal allergies, and as with pretty much any other "natural" product there are a million blogs trying to convince you it cures everything.

I think I've read that there are additional nutrients in honey, but unless you intend to eat large daily quantities, I doubt it's enough to have much affect either way.

So use whichever you like the taste of and fits in your budget. I like to buy local honey to throw a little business at the local farm, but mostly use sugar anyway.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    I've actually found honey flavored products in place of honey in some stores where I'm at. Honey flavored agave syrup mixed with stevia. Packaged in a bear and marketed as Honey "flavored"

What is the world coming to?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Sandeeng84 wrote: »
    With that being said
    Or

No, if the issue is just added sugar, honey is pretty much the same thing.

But there's no need to eliminate added sugar, so that doesn't mean you can't consume honey (or sugar).

As for which is better, there's basically no meaningful difference, so use what you like. I rarely use either, but in some savory dishes I use honey as one of the ingredients. I rarely bake, but I wouldn't bother trying to figure out a way to sub honey for sugar. I don't use honey on biscuits, but my mom used to, and nothing wrong with that. I understand honey in tea is good for sore throats, but have not tried it.

Re: honey having micros or what not, that's true but small amounts so in the amount eaten it's irrelevant IMO. Replacing all added sugar with honey would not affect how healthy one's diet is.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Odd...

5fmgqjecb3kc.jpg