Pasta is SO calorific!

Options
124»

Replies

• goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Haha! I also avoid now. I like it, but not at three million cals per teaspoon lol
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Everybody has their own food priorities, but I still eat pasta and don't find it to be so caloric. I think sometimes people get confused on dry weight vs. cooked weight. They think the weight cooked is the nutrition label on the back of the box is the cooked weight, when in fact it is the dry weight. That pasta once cooked gets much heavier.

I find the standard pasta serving (2 oz/56gram dry) to be too small, but I tend to find that about the serving size of every food. However I've found somewhere around 80-90 grams, about a serving and a half, to produce a sufficient amount of pasta. That's about 300-320 calories. I can then dress it up with something low calorie (tuna, chicken, or turkey) and a low calorie sauce and get a filling dinner in around 500-600 calories. On most diets, that's a reasonable dinner. And I find it more filling than a lot of other dinners.

This post was really helpful, thank you. I made my daughter pasta for dinner tonight and I wasn't going to have some, but it smelled so good (!) and I made too much, so I weighed myself out a small portion and was shocked by how many calories it used up! Stupidly, it never occurred to me that the listing on the packet was for the dry weight - you've made my night!
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's depressing. Peanut butter too! After I got a food scale, I was so sad about those serving sizes :'(

nuts are the devil lol
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    JeBeBu wrote: »
    I am a huge fan of zoodles (zucchini noodles) and shirataki noodles (in produce cooler)! I don't care for spaghetti squash as pasta, but love it as a hash browns substitute!

shiritaki is gross in my opinion XD Also they aren't very filling and are stinky lol
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I don't see pasta as a problem. I could put 400 calories of mayo in a salad dressing or 400 calories of oil in a fried rice dish and you wouldn't even know it was there. 3.5 tbsp. And, other than the mass volume eater elite, 400 calories of spaghetti is a big plate.

I usually fix 200 calories for myself in a dish with other ingredients.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Nah, pasta doesn't have more calories than other food consisting mostly of carbs and a bit of protein. 4kcal per gram. But dry pasta contains very little water and hence appears fairly small if uncooked. If you cut a pasta shape out of an apple for the same amount of calories you'd have a lot more as there is a lot of water in an apple. But if you cut pasta shapes out of the same calorie amount out of butter you'd get a lot less (fat = 9kcal per gram).