Sugar and Fruit

Trying to cut down on sugar but love fruit. When you want to reduce sugar in your diet do you need to worry about sugar in fruit?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I think it would depend on whether or not you have a medical condition. Sugars in fruits are naturally occurring unlike table sugar you put on your cereal, which is considered added sugar.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Unless you have specifically been advised by a doctor to reduce sugar in regards to a medical condition, reducing sugar is just a personal preference. So you can include fruit in that or not include fruit in that. It won't make a difference. Your body treats sugar the same way regardless of the source.

But if you do reduce your fruit consumption, you need to replace the nutrients from somewhere. Otherwise you will be doing more harm than good to your health.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    The sugar thing makes no sense to me but then I don't track it so I guess it is okay. You would think it would mean sugar you added to things not just sugar in natural forms.

Apparently I am an expert at a low sugar diet because I just looked at my 90 day report on sugar and I have only gone over whatever the limit is one time. If you want to be under the limit you would have to eat like I do which I would not advise because I feel I don't eat enough fruit.

My number 1 sugar source in the last 90 days is... Salad (tomatoes). Isn't that ridiculous?

Bananas are #2 and onions are #3
  • zylkm4
    zylkm4 Posts: 18 Member
    My sugar intake has been ridiculously high on my tracker, but I am eating very little processed food. I eat on average 3 servings of fresh fruit per day and two or three servings of fresh vegetables. I also eat beans everyday, and a few grains, all of which put my sugar intake very high. I am not a meat eater except very occasional fish. I think it's odd that the natural sugar in unprocessed food is counted. That food also gives me enough potassium, calcium, vitamin C, carbs, etc for my day. I'm not going to reduce it just to reduce my sugar number. My triglycerides are very low, fasting glucose (I have done several screenings) is always low to mid healthy normal range, I rarely get cavities, am not having any health issues because of my "sugar" intake. I do find it frustrating though that the tracking makes it seem like I consume way too much sugar. Sighs.