Sizes???

Options
OK, i'm getting a tiny bit annoyed by sizing. Well...I've lost 15lbs and I'm wearing the same size! I was wearing a 24 at 267 and still wearing it at 252. It's a tiny bit loose, but not by a whole size. And then I see a lot of people saying they are in a large top and size 18 pants at the same weight I'm at. How is this possible? I was at a website were you can see women of different sizes and none of the women wore the same size I do......but, everyone of them looked like their clothes were way to tight. Now, are most women wearing too tight clothes or am I just an odd one. The only person that looked the most like my body type and wore the same size as me was 284.... I really don't get this. Does it have something to do with height may be??? I'm 5'5 . And I have to loose 3 sizes to get to an 18.....I really want to do this by Christmas.

Replies

• Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Everyone's bodies are different so don't get discouraged. Plus, each different designer/brand has different sizes. You may be a 24 at one store and a 20 at another. I had that issue a lot. Don't be too concerned about the number on the tag.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    everyone is built differently -- you shouldn't compare yourself to others -- it just brings you down and gives you a negative outlook on yourself!

I didn't changes sizes until I had lost way more than 15 pounds.... so don't get discouraged. just got with it. This isn't a quick moving process - so don't get discouraged if you don't see amazing drastic results overnight. Just be happy that you've lost 15 pounds so far.

Keep in mind too, that in the beginning you lose quite a bit of water weight, which probably doesn't affect the size of the clothes you wear.

Good luck!
  • Degrotet
    Degrotet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It could be the type of clothing also. I am 179 pounds right now and I usually wear a 14. However, I do have a few pairs of dress pants that are a size 16. Great job losing 15 pounds so far and good luck getting to your goal in December!
  • webberhouse
    Options
    OK, i'm getting a tiny bit annoyed by sizing. Well...I've lost 15lbs and I'm wearing the same size! I was wearing a 24 at 267 and still wearing it at 252. It's a tiny bit loose, but not by a whole size. And then I see a lot of people saying they are in a large top and size 18 pants at the same weight I'm at. How is this possible? I was at a website were you can see women of different sizes and none of the women wore the same size I do......but, everyone of them looked like their clothes were way to tight. Now, are most women wearing too tight clothes or am I just an odd one. The only person that looked the most like my body type and wore the same size as me was 284.... I really don't get this. Does it have something to do with height may be??? I'm 5'5 . And I have to loose 3 sizes to get to an 18.....I really want to do this by Christmas.

Hi, I started last week at 268 and I wear a 24 also. I am 5'3". I think it has alot to do with height. I was in an 18 at around 230 if this helps. I also like my cloths comfortable and hate them tight. Keep working at it and don't worry so much about the size of your cloths, you will get there!
  • Jelleebean
    Jelleebean Posts: 212
    Options
    some of it has to do with bone structure and bone weight as well... i was a 22 @270.
    hang in there.. it'll happen... *hugs*
  • secondrowchick
    secondrowchick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I know exactly what you mean - I have yo-yo'd in weight the last 2 years but am still a size 18/20/22 depending on the shop. I never wear tight clothes even when I have lost weight - maybe its because I'm pretty self conscious about my weigh and having bulges over the top of my jeans etc!
    I always cringe when I see people with too tight clothes so I say wear what you feel comfortable in - and panic not about the 'size' - it flippin' well depends when you bought it from anyway! Just keep up the good work =)
  • samantha0176
    samantha0176 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    everyone's body is different, and like pp said designers make different sizes. In my closet I have jeans and dress pants and skirts ranging in size from 6-10 and they all fit the same!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Everyone's bodies are different so don't get discouraged. Plus, each different designer/brand has different sizes. You may be a 24 at one store and a 20 at another. I had that issue a lot. Don't be too concerned about the number on the tag.

Totally agree!! Also, some bodies are larger on top, and smaller on the bottom. I'm wearing a 10 - 12 in pants, but still L-XL in tops. Sometimes I wish it were the other way around, but that's just what my body does. Don't worry about the number of size, pay attention to how good you are 'feeling' in what you wear. If your clothes are fitting looser, THAT's GREAT!!! Keep up the great work!!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged at all.....some people lose weight from places that you don't really focus on. You could be losing weight in your face, and maybe your calves or arms as opposed to thighs and mid-section!

Keep doing what you are doing and you will see more results. In my case, I lost 13 pounds and so far i am also wearing the same clothes but have noticed a difference in face and arms.

You are definitely losing, just losing in a different part to begin with. We don't all lose weight in the desired way!!! :)

Good luck :)
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Try not to let it get to you. I have clothes that range in size 4-12. It's crazy, I know. But, every designer cuts their clothes differently. I have size 6 pants that are super loose on me and I also have size 10 pants that fit the same as the 6s. Not to mention the size 4 cords that fit the same as most of my 6s. It makes no sense, really.

I used to weigh nearly 280 and squeezed in to a size 24. I was still a 24 at 255 when I started on mfp in December(9 months ago).

Just wear clothes that fit well and don't worry too much about the label. If something fits well, you'll look great no matter the size on the tag. Keep your chin up, doll. You'll see progress in time.

Please make sure to take plenty of before and during pictures as a point of reference. Doing so, for me, made all the difference in the world as far as keeping me motivated to stay on track.
  • debclif
    debclif Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    15 lbs is a great achievement! Keep it up, you will get to smaller and smaller sizes. Just don't give in! Women's clothes are weird too. You could be one size at one store and two sizes smaller at another. Good luck with your journey!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

We all come in different shapes & sizes so its not fair to compare yourself with others. Who knows that the people you saw could have been starting to lift weights which is why they're losing inches but gaining weight. Also like others have said, it all depends on the brand because each designer has their own sizing. I'm normally a size 27 (or size 4) but in some brands I can be 26, 28 or 29. I don't live in US so I'm not quite familiar with US sizes so I have no idea the number equivalent for the other sizes except size 27 which is size 4. On tops, I'm a M (or Medium) but sometimes I become P (or Small) or G (or Large)
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....feeling better about it! :happy: