Raw natural honey

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Is there some importance regarding the distance to your house? What happens if you get honey harvested in a 20 mile radius? I also do not understand that 'natural' adjective. I was unaware there was a non-bee fabricated honey on the market. I really do not keep up with these things. Is my bear of honey in my cabinet somehow inferior? It never gets touched except when someone is ill. I use no sweeteners and she uses Splenda.

I think the “distance from your house” thing has to do with allergies. There is a theory that eating honey from your local area can help desensitize you to your local pollens and therefore help those with seasonal allergies. But I don’t believe that’s been scientifically proven.

I've heard this as well. No clue as to how accurate it is.
  • Sandeeng84
    Sandeeng84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Is there some importance regarding the distance to your house? What happens if you get honey harvested in a 20 mile radius? I also do not understand that 'natural' adjective. I was unaware there was a non-bee fabricated honey on the market. I really do not keep up with these things. Is my bear of honey in my cabinet somehow inferior? It never gets touched except when someone is ill. I use no sweeteners and she uses Splenda.

I only call it nature because it was not made by a factory and not mass produced. The reason I stick to to a close radius is because if you consume locally made honey with the pollen that is also local it can help with allergies. I have terrible spring and fall allergies. No your bear honey in the cabinet isn’t inferior. It’s just that most grocery stores buy honey that’s mass produced in a factory and the honey from my experience has been artificial such as added corn syrup and fructose syrup.
  • Sandeeng84
    Sandeeng84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I think the “distance from your house” thing has to do with allergies. There is a theory that eating honey from your local area can help desensitize you to your local pollens and therefore help those with seasonal allergies. But I don’t believe that’s been scientifically proven.

Yes when I say distance from home I’m talking allergies. I have terrible fall and spring allergies.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

the bear honey in your cupboard most likely "adulterated" honey. As in - doesn't have actual pollen from bees in it.

Now, this COULD all be bulldust, but the way I tell real honey from fake honey is that real honey crystallizes in winter, the honey bear in the cupboard never crystallizes. Fake honey has other stuff like syrup stuff added to it.

While boutique honey does have a more complex and wider range of flavor, "bear" honey does taste like honey too.

I think the lack of crystallization of bear honey in the US is due to more filtering and pasteurizing at higher temps.

Raw honey sometimes even comes crystalized.

crystallized-honey-TWITTER.jpg?width=2448&name=crystallized-honey-TWITTER.jpg
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    well OP - at the end of the day, if it's purely for weight loss calories blah blah - eat whatever fits your calorie goals.

If it's for taste and minimally processed and allergen benefits and all sorts of other stuff that people are calling "Woo" on, then eat your locally sourced honey. Or swap to supermarket bear honey with syrup added.

This turned into one big fight LOLOLOLOLOLOL gotta laugh.

[edited by MFP Moderators]
  • kshama2001
    Options
    It took me a moment because he/she was buried in the back of the cabinet but my bear is 100 percent pure organic raw unfiltered and from the state I live in. I was starting to think I might have to go out and lick bees to make sure I got the real deal but apparently random grocery shopping works too.

My kitty likes to play with the bees that are trying to eat our clover and got stung the other week. His poor paw swelled way up.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Even the Walmart Great Value brand honey is actual real 100% honey from bees, not factory produced syrup.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

the bear honey in your cupboard most likely "adulterated" honey. As in - doesn't have actual pollen from bees in it.

Now, this COULD all be bulldust, but the way I tell real honey from fake honey is that real honey crystallizes in winter, the honey bear in the cupboard never crystallizes. Fake honey has other stuff like syrup stuff added to it.

If a product has something removed, it isn't "adulterated." It's refined or purified. You have to add something that isn't normally there to "adulterate" it.

rice syrup is added to honey - therefore "adulterated"
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

If a product has something removed, it isn't "adulterated." It's refined or purified. You have to add something that isn't normally there to "adulterate" it.

rice syrup is added to honey - therefore "adulterated"

But you said it was adulterated because it didn't have actual pollen in it. You're moving the goal posts.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I found a bee guy and get a 16 oz mason jar of raw honey from him. It cost $22 but is very good. Drizzle it on berries fruit and salmon (to caramelize when sauteing). 20 Cal per tsp.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Did you know that many local beekeepers have to feed their colonies to keep them from starving. Guess what they feed them. Sugar water. During the winter months there is no fresh nectar and it's given to exhausted bees to revive them. So the quality of honey and its nutritional value can vary even if it's natural. It may be naturally inferior. A local beekeeper feeds his bees crushed candy canes to keep them going. Sugar is sugar is sugar.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    On Chopped they were saying that honey is like 6x (I don’t remember the number) sweeter tasting than sugar, so you don’t have to use as much. I am not sure if that is helpful, I just remember it was a vegan episode and a huge controversy because honey isn’t vegan.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    On Chopped they were saying that honey is like 6x (I don’t remember the number) sweeter tasting than sugar, so you don’t have to use as much. I am not sure if that is helpful, I just remember it was a vegan episode and a huge controversy because honey isn’t vegan.

A teaspoon of table sugar (4 grams) is 4 g sugar. A teaspoon of honey (7 grams) is 6 grams of sugar. 4 grams of honey (the same weight as a teaspoon of sugar) is actually 3 grams of sugar.

Doesn't actually address your comment but is interesting information. Another reason to weigh instead of measure.

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I've actually found honey flavored products in place of honey in some stores where I'm at. Honey flavored agave syrup mixed with stevia. Packaged in a bear and marketed as Honey "flavored"

What is the world coming to?

Two possibilities on this...one cynical and one less so.

1. Profit! This may not stand up because I don’t know the relative price of agave. 🤷‍♀️

2. Honey is not suitable for vegans, but if you’re vegan and like the flavour of honey this would be your go to replacement I guess!
  • kshama2001
    Options

Did they mention that regular sugar that comes from sugar cane isn't vegan either, as it is processed with bone char?

https://ordinaryvegan.net/vegansugar/