Night Time Binge Eating

Options
2»

Replies

• pbpunisher
    pbpunisher Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    pbpunisher wrote: »
    How's your calorie count for all the "good" meals during the day?

Between 3-500 and all healthy stuff.

Wait, per meal, right? What's your total calorie intake on average per day? Not getting appropriate intake for your current height weight can trigger hunger/cravings in the evening.

I'm averaging about 2500, mostly from night time grazing. I'm exercising enough I'm meeting my daily goal, but I need to do MUCH better with my nutrition.
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Night time sabotages my entire day. I'm not really hungry, I just eat. In my past experience you just need to suffer through and fight the nightime binge cravings. If you do, it will eventually get better over time. You just need to take the first step and then stick to it. Also, replace whatever you're bingeing on with some low cal snacks like popcorn.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I joined a thread here that's based on late night snacking. After dinner, I post that I'm not going to eat at night. My current streak is 58 days with no snacking.

I also log my meals into the food diary a few days in advance. That's helps curb extraneous eating.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm pretty much echoing others' responses here but I think it can be good to experiment with different mealtimes and calorie counts, snacking vs. no snacking, etc.

Pre-MFP, I tried to eat 3 main meals that were all on the smaller side and then 2 small snacks during the day and 1 at night. I never really felt full and I always felt like I was "dieting" and wanted to snack more & more.

I came to realize that for me personally, it's pretty important to have a larger lunch and dinner. I eat 80-90% of my daily calories between those two meals and generally do not snack and have a small breakfast (which I find very satisfying). It is amazing to me how different I feel if I (for example) eat a light ~300 calorie lunch, I feel tired & crave just about everything under the sun by 2 or 3 pm. But when I eat 400-600 at lunch, making sure to include plenty of protein, I feel energetic & full and don't even think about food all afternoon. I find that I am very satisfied without snacks when I eat larger (for me) meals.

Silly perhaps but I also like to floss, brush, etc, shortly after dinner so I feel like I'm done eating for that day.

I know other people on these forums who are completely the opposite and strongly prefer "mini meals" throughout each day with only one (or NO) larger meal at all. Find what works best for you and I bet you will know it when you figure it out.
  • J_Fabulous
    J_Fabulous Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For all the exercise you're doing, are you eating enough calories? If you are not eating enough calories your body will crave sugar and carbs. Also, protein helps curb hunger. Sometimes when I get the munchies I will snack on fruit or some other low calory indulgence like popcorn.
  • Jasperlicious
    Jasperlicious Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    “I'm averaging about 2500, mostly from night time grazing. I'm exercising enough I'm meeting my daily goal, but I need to do MUCH better with my nutrition.”

Hey PBPunisher, I feel your pain. I used to do the same thing. I would have 300-500 cal “healthy” meals, 3 times a day and then at night have an insatiable appetite where I would binge eat anything I could find. This ultimately resulted in a nasty guilt phase and self loathing phase. I started purging after the episodes of night time weakness. Then after seeing a psychiatrist I was prescribed Prozac for my new bulimia eating disorder. This medication killed my sex drive and any really passion for life, but managed to curb my nighttime cravings. It also had a significant price tag for a broke university student.

That’s when I came across Jason Fung’s book ‘The Obesity Code’. I highly recommend this book as it changed my life and that of many others. I am off the drugs and off the nighttime fridge prowl. Fung talks a lot about the multitude of health benefits associated with intermittent fasting (IF). For me the benefits of IF were getting control of my food cravings and my weight. I’m off the antidepressants and in control of my appetite. A big surprise for me was learning about how a calorie deficit is not sustainable because of the way the body ‘resets’ its base metabolic rate (BMR) after a period of continuous deficiency. I also learned a lot about how the type of food when you’re not fasting is equally important.

Here is an article on Fung’s website, Intensive Dietary Management (IDM) that talks about the dangers of restricting calories. I think this was my issue and you may relate to it as well. https://idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/

Hope this helps ❤️