Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Gluten/dairy free!! IBS-Tips??

So I started going gluten and dairy free because of my long battle with IBS. I could use some tips and or meal/snack/restaurant recommendations, anything would help! Thank you šŸ˜Š

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Intolerances and allergies are a real pain. There are many of us about. Not living in the US I do not have any constructive ideas of places who accommodate these problems.

You mentioned IBS. I wonder if you have considered Salicylate Sensitivity. Even the medics don't always know about this though its better known than 10 years ago. Salicylate is made by many plants, veg and fruits to protect themselves from moulds and mildews. We all supposed to have the ability to eliminate it but some of us have less than others. If you do a search and follow support sites rather than someone's blog you should discover all you need to know especially if they refer to the work of an Australian hospital the name escapes me after all this time.

There is also histamine intolerance which can contribute to IBS, I don't think any two persons experience of IBS is ever the same. Histamine is something which can build up on foods, its probably a situation of decomposition and some of us react to it more than others who can eat anything and not have any problems. Likewise there are support sites.

I'm wondering if you have been tested for your intolerances or are valiantly trying to see if anything makes a difference to you. Being tested can make the guess work less difficult, its possible to react to less recognised foods and keeping a food diary does not always reveal the problems. Noting a rash x days after a food might be significant but it could always be something other.

To thinking about going dairy free. Its often said to be lactose which is the problem but for most of us it is the casein, of which there are 4 types. Bovine casein is type 1 dominant, it still has 2, 3 and 4 but they are much less. If you look at goat and sheep they are type 2 casein which is most like human milk and is often better tolerated even by those who are lactose intolerance because it resembles human milk so well. These milk products have the benefits of providing the nutrition which is so important to us. The added benefit is, where as bovine- the cow is trying to grow her calf into a Lb 1000 or more animal, the sheep or goat will not exceed the weight of a human. Substitute milks such as Rice, Soy or almond to mention a few do not carry the same nutritional value as milk itself.

Turning now to Gluten, it could take up to a year of total abstinence for some to feel the benefits of going without, and then the slightest reintroduction can set them right back. Mostly you can expect to see some relief within a couple or three months if fortunate. There are more Gluten free products available these days than there were even 10 years ago, you may find these helpful though they are more expensive.

I've just remembered a book by Sharla Race, "Food Can Make You Ill", she goes into so much about foods and diet, the amines and oxalates. the book was updated a few years ago and makes for a very interesting read especially for those trying to do the "Right Thing" for themselves.

Hope some of this helps. Wishing you a happy healthy future.
  • hananas143
    hananas143 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you so much!!! Ill definitely check the book out and Iā€™m willing to make any changes to get some relief ASAP so a few months is better than the last 15 years dealing w this.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    My daughter and I suffer from different diseases that cause IBS. We just recently realized we have a sensitivity to certain starches and breads.

After researching for a couple of months, we decided to give keto try.

So far so good, our bloat and pain have significantly decreased. I am still finding foods that cause a reaction for me. My daughter still has some bowel issues. But it is a definite decrease in overall bloat and pain..

Had thought we had an intolerance to dairy, but turned out to only be regular milk. We had been using coconut milk substitutes like So delish ice cream, yogurts, and almond milk products.

Instead of milk, I use half and half or heavy cream, daughter users half and half and still drinks almond milk.

I've come to realize, chatting with others and reading through threads, that everyone is different and what works for one, doesn't work for another. Especially when it comes to things like IBS.

It's a very individual journey figuring out an eating plan that heals and works for you.

Good luck!

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    We are on our final single ingredient reintroduction of an elimination diet, so grain and dairy free has become a habit for us. We use:

Corn tortillas, lettuce and rice paper as substitutes for bread.

Spaghetti squash, spiralized zucchini and sliced eggplant to replace pastas.

Nutritional yeast to add a supposedly cheesy flavor to vegetables. (The longer you go without cheese, the more you agree it tastes cheesy...)

Almond milk and chia seeds to make pudding.

Dairy free keto fat bombs to make chocolate candy (mine are two parts and butter to one part coconut oil and one part cocoa powder, sweetener to taste).

As you can see, we eat homemade 90-95% of the time. When we do go out, sushi (especially sashimi) is a a decent option, but watch add ons like panko fried things or soy sauce.

We also keep the focus on what we can eat, so experiment with new proteins and veggies and spice combinations. For example, I now make a Greek meatball, so you don't feel like it should go with pasta and cheese. When I make it with ground lamb, it doesn't need any binding agent. I will find out tonight if that works with beef, as well.

• My husband is a celiac (no gluten) and I have been on a dairy restrictive diet due to my youngest son (who is still breast feeding) being sensative to it in my diet. I found THE BEST ice cream we both can enjoy!!!

If you haven't already, try the brand "SO DELICIOUS" dairy free ice cream!! They have flavors that are both non-dairy AND gluten free. THEY ARE SO GOOD!!! A little pricey, but so worth it. I honestly can't even tell they are dairy/gluten free!! The ones made with cashew milk are the best.

Our favorites: Salted Caramel Cluster- made with cashew milk. Chocolate Cookies and Cream - made with cashew milk. Snickerdoodle- made with cashew milk.

There are alot of other flavors made with almond and coconut milks as well.... I dont find them nearly as good. But you might!!

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited August 2019
    i don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution. i think this sort of thing requires some experimentation to find the food culprits.

for example i can eat gluten, but regular wheat causes me a world of pain and issues that last for days. and i used to have problems with dairy, but somehow over the past 20 years, it faded away. my son's gf can't eat white rice or anything made with white flour - bread, cake, etc - without pain and problems and bloating, but she can eat whole grain flour and brown rice.

good luck!