Acute Diverticulitis

Options
So...started eating right...nuts, seeds, veggies (lots of tomatoes) and landed in the hospital with acute diverticulitis. Liquid diet for a few days and I'm at such a loss as to what to eat at this point. If anyone has gone through this, can you throw me a few tips?

Thanks, Melissa

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Did they give you a list of foods to avoid?

My MIL had this. She had to avoid anything with seeds, but I don't know more than that. I'm sorry you went through that. Hope you feel better soon.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen several years ago. I avoid most fruits and vegetables with small seeds like tomatoes and green beans. Anything with a pit is good. Raspberries and blackberries are a no-no for me. I also avoid popcorn. For some reason, regular corn doesn’t bother me. Brussel sprouts and cabbage digest well. Nuts? I love them but they are the worst for diverticulitis. Smooth nut butters are okay but nothing chuncky.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to a dietitian. My wife has diverticulitis, and the recommendations are pretty much exactly opposite depending on if you're mid-flare up or not (high fiber most of the time, very low fiber during a flare up). We're talking to a dietitian tomorrow about a number of dietary issues, including this.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Doctors are now trying to say it's the fibers not the seeds. I don't buy it. If I eat strawberries, nuts, popcorn, etc, I'm in excruciating pain.

Lots of steamed cauliflower seems to ease my pain!

I avoid nuts, popcorn, and tiny berry fruit seeds!
  • HeyItsBrad
    HeyItsBrad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just went through this as well. The ER doc says that different foods effect different people. So, he recommended keeping a food journal (which you may already be doing via MFP), and log when you have pain. Correlate the data and you will have a tailor made list of foods to avoid.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised the hospital didn't give you a handout. Call your doctor's office and discuss with them.
  • HeyItsBrad
    HeyItsBrad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Getting an appointment with my doctor with less than a 2-3 week wait is damn near impossible. Thus the hospital visit. I think I may need a new doctor.
  • byrdsng2012
    byrdsng2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone! I have a doc appt as a followup on Monday and the ER discharged me saying liquid diet for a few days and didn't give me much information besides that. Only "don't drink alcohol or eat nuts and seeds." Looking up online and I see some sites say only white bread and low fiber foods, others say a high fiber diet so I am lost as to who is right! I'll bring in my MFP food logs and let her see what I've been eating. Crazy that I start getting rid of the white bread/white pasta etc and all the sudden I get knocked down. ha!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    HeyItsBrad wrote: »
    I just went through this as well. The ER doc says that different foods effect different people. So, he recommended keeping a food journal (which you may already be doing via MFP), and log when you have pain. Correlate the data and you will have a tailor made list of foods to avoid.

This is so true. My mom has it also. She can't eat poppy seeds or pumpkin seeds, but I have no problem with these. We can both eat most grains. We've both suffered with this for years. But for both, cauliflower or a big salad with lots of veggies (none with little seeds) helps when we do have an attack. Could be the fiber in these foods that seems to help us.