Lost 13 lbs.....but feeling kinda discouraged

Options
It took me a little over a month to lose 13lbs...and although I'm happy about it, I'm feeling a little discouraged now. My clothes fit a little more loosely..and I feel lighter on my feet. At work I wear a smock..so no one there has really noticed a difference, except to say my face looks brighter..I've run into a few people while out running errands who have noticed I've lost some weight...and that makes me really happy. The problem is...I went away for the weekend with someone very special to me....I even wore a new bathing suit.....and nothing...not one word. Wow...I was so embarassed that I put on a robe..and kept it on. I felt weird..and self conscious. Maybe I just haven't lost enough for him to notice........so depressed now, I can hardly eat anything at all. How much weight do I have to lose before it gets noticed?

Replies

• dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't think men generally make comments. I haven't had any male friends/family say to me that I've lost weight, but plenty of comments from female friends/family.

I don't know, but don't be discouraged by it. Maybe he's the sort of person who doesn't say anything.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would say to try your best to drop this line of thinking. People will notice or not as they will and this depends largely on how often they see you. If special someone sees you even a few times a week, it will likely be a while before they notice, because the changes are gradual and they see you often enough they can adjust as you change. But being concerned with how others perceive your losses will gain you nothing but hurt and frustration. Try to focus on you, your changes and how you feel. Everything else will follow.
  • LoveNevrNds
    LoveNevrNds Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Maybe he didn't want to embarrass you. I know my husband is hesitant to say anything sometimes because it points out that I needed to lose the weight in the first place.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 15 at least (I didn't start tracking til I had already lost some) and just now people are starting to notice...Literally, like, yesterday was the first time I got any comments! One thing to consider too---I am really embarrassed when people comment on my weight loss, because it makes me feel self conscious about how I was *before*...So a lot of times I don't comment on people's weight loss--I might just say "you look great!" or "that outfit makes your bod look awesome!" So maybe your friend just didn't know if you'd be sensitive if he said something about it!
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Maybe he noticed, but didn't feel comfortable saying anything.
    Or better yet, he's a guy. They're oblivious. They always think we're gorgeous!

My husband hates it when someone says something about him looking trimmer, he gets discouraged because he thinks, oh, well, so and so said I'm looking good, I guess I can stop.
    Let it not be discouraging, but even more motivation to knock his socks off next time, when you're even more smoken in your bathing suit. You've done an amazing job in such a short time. Keep going!

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • luckiest05
    Options
    My husband is like that too...he won't say anything because he knows it's real sensitive to me. Also, men typically don't notice things unless it's super dramatic.
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You don't say how much you need to lose. The more you need to lose, the less likely it is that it is noticeable after 13 lbs.... besides... are you doing it for you or for him? Hang in there!
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Maybe he thought you look fabulous before you lost the weight and didn't want to seem shallow to compliment on your weight loss.

Congrats on losing weight, keep up the great work.
  • KijuanaC
    KijuanaC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The question shouldn't be how much weight do you need to lose before he notices. When someone sees you daily, it's very difficult for them to see changes in you. If you're doing this for yourself, then that should be your motivation. Girl, I wish my close fit looser and I felt lighter on my feet. From past weight loss attempts, I can tell you that my husband was one of the last people to notice the major difference. Not because he wasn't there to encourage me and push me towards my goal, but because he saw me day and night and loves me for who I am. Maybe that special person pays more attention to your personality and not what size you wear.

Stay strong and I will defintely stay strong with you.
  • daram05
    daram05 Posts: 80
    Options
    Girl, there is a song that says the following:
    "You don't do it for the man; man, never notice! You just do it for yourself, cause you the coldest!"
    If we rely on what others think and say, we will never get to that happy place for ourselves. I know that this was someone special (who may have sparked your interest to make a difference in your health), but do it for you. And if you're happy with the results you have seen thus far, keep it up Momma. I'm proud of you and just remember that is what MFP is all about....getting that extra encouragement you can't get else where!

Good Luck!
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    No one noticed on me (even in a swimsuit) until the 20 lb mark. I'm sure it varies for everyone - starting weight, your height/build, but don't hang everything on just one person not noticing yet. He might have noticed & thought it, but didn't say it. Men are famous for that. My niece is on here w/ me & has lost about 14 lbs. We had a family thing last week & my DH mentioned how great my niece is looking (he knows she is doing this with me). I asked "did you tell her she looked good?" No.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    It seems that you're looking for validation from other people, instead of looking within yourself. YOU know that you've put in the work, so bask in your success, and stand proud, you deserve it!!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i've lost 67 pounds now and my hubby still says nothing unless i point blank ask him can he not tell, and then he only grudgingly says something like 'well i can see some change'.
    If i mentioned i am so pleased with how my legs look now, except i don't like the saggy skin at my knees and thighs, his comment is 'yeah, that looks terrible', nothing the least bit encouraging.
    It is so discouraging to me i no longer care if he notices anything or not. What matters to me is what 'i' see in myself now *S*, and 'i' know i am looking and feeling great these days *L*.

OTHERS however, including my kids, my ex, friends, and even casual acquaintances, all have noticed in a big way and don't hesitate to tell me so. Thank heavens for them *S*
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Personally, as a feminist, I try to never comment on someone's weight loss, because you never know how that person lost it, if they were trying to or not, etc, but most of all I don't want to reinforce the idea that they needed to lose weight to be pretty, that their weight is significant, or that they will get attention if they restrict what they're eating.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    DONT FEEL BAD I AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING EXCEPT FOR I ENCOURAGE MYSELF AND REMEMBER YOUR NOT DOING THIS FOR ANYONE OTHER THEN YOURSELF. HANG IN THERE TRUST ME YOU WILL GET THE REWARDS IN DUE TIME. I REMEMBER YEARS AGO I LOST 80 POUNDS AND NO ONE SAID ANYTHING UNTIL I LOST ABOUT 25 POUNDS. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD CONTINUE THIS PROGRAM AND NOT WORRY ABOUT MY BOYFRIEND THOUGHT OF MY PROGRESS BUT INSTEAD THINK ABOUT HOW GOOD YOU WILL FEEL AND LOOK A FEW MONTH FROM NOW. :smile:
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Seriously how many men do we all know that actually notice anything we change to our bodies?! Even if they notice I doubt they have the sensitivity to tell us we have done well and we actually look good!
    Don't be discouraged by lack of comments, its about how you feel about yourself that matters! If someone pays you a compliment about you looking good and losing weight then take that and run with it, don't hold out waiting for everyone to tell you they have noticed something.
    If this guy is really special to you then it might be that he loves you whether you are bigger or smaller so he might not feel the need to have to say anything to you at all!

My other half said to me yesterday "There's a photo of us at my mums and I noticed that you have lost a bit! You looked bigger in the photos" Now I know it was a compliment but he could have gone without saying that there is photo evidence of me being fatter.
    What I took from it though was that he noticed! Even though he had to look at a picture from the past, he still noticed and I feel great that I no longer feel like I have to hide behind someone or wince at my own photos. :D

You are doing great and don't let anyone tell you different (or let anything people DON'T say as a negative)
  • had3nuf
    had3nuf Posts: 59
    Options
    Therein lies the problem.....I haven't seen him since BEFORE I started my fatloss journey...well over a month..and with the compliments I've gotten from others..I was hoping, anticipating that he would notice also. Even when I put my suit on..and tried to...in a not so obvious way...do a little twirl, to show off my "smaller" tummy...and when he didn't say anything..I immediately walked out and hid out in the pool. Thinking..maybe it's the suit?? Yeah right. I'm doin this for me, of course...but I was just hoping he..of all people..would " find waldo".
  • jamie117100
    Options
    Don't lose hope. It has been a little over a month and I have barely lost 6 pounds. Only one person, whom I haven't seen in six months has commented on how I have lost a little weight and that made me feel a little better. My mother-in-law told me, every 10 pounds lost is one dress size and it usually takes losing two dress sizes for people you see every week to notice.

I was feeling discouraged too, since I went from 180 to 173 just to go up to 176 and now I am 174. I have worked hard for over a month, but I have yet to lose more than 6 pounds. But that one person who commented on my weight gave me the confidence to continue to workout and I know I will lose more weight in the future.

So don't get discouraged. Keep up your workout and diet. Plus, some guys don't notice until there is a huge change and the ones who do, don't always feel it necessary to comment about it.
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    Everytime I've lost weight (sadly it's been an up and down rollar coaster for me) it has taken me losing 20 pounds before someone noticed.

And maybe the guy was so distracted by you in your bathing suit that he couldn't think straight. I know my husband doesn't notice much of my losses or gains at all. Heck, I got new glasses this week and he didn't notice at all. I had to point it out to him 4 days later. For supposedly being visual creatures, they sure don't notice a heck of a lot.
  • had3nuf
    had3nuf Posts: 59
    Options
    I'll definitely be keeping the clothes on in the future....cuz that just didn't feel good. It made me depressed..but I had to snap out of it...because I didn't want to ruin the weekend. I'm gonna keep at it...not for him...but for me.