Macros

Quick question: when it gives a goal under macros for say, protein, of 30%...does that mean at least 30% or up to 30%??

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I don't pay attention to the macros. I focus on staying in a calorie deficit.

The percentage you referenced would be the number you'd want to reach.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    I believe most of us think of protein as a minimum, some think of fats as a minimum, and those neither diabetic nor pursuing a low-carb diet will then often use carbs as the calorie balancer, or simply eat more of either fat or protein when they have the calories, since more of either won't hurt a healthy person.

I'd point out that it's not necessary to hit macro goals exactly; close is good enough, especially if you're over some days, under others. Persistently under on protein, especially, is worth gradually working to improve. (You can gradually rework your eating to address nearly any nutritional issue that interests you, as long as your doctor hasn't given you urgent orders to change how you eat; it's not like you're going to be instantly malnourished if you learn that the way you've been eating isn't optimally nutritious. Humans are quite flexible ominivores, and it takes time for most nutrition-related problems to develop, as long as things aren't disastrously out of whack. ;) ).

It's absolutely true that it's calories that matter for weight loss, regardless of which macros make up those calories. Also, achieving a healthy weight is typically one of the best things you can do for your health. So, calorie goal is a big deal. However, macros are important for nutrition, and can influence energy level or satiation, both of which are potentially relevant to complying happily with calorie goal.

MFP's macro goals aren't gospel, and can be tweaked if you like, but the MFP defaults aren't terrible for most people.

Best wishes!