Caloric deficit but sugar surplus?

Options
For a while now I've been really craving fruit and so my daily intake of sugar has been greatly overshooting my set limit (I often go into the 100s) despite the fact that my caloric intake is at a[n often significant] deficit. Will this significantly jeopardise my goal of reducing body fat since I'm consuming so much sugar? Or does my caloric deficit somewhat override the sugar surplus?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    It won't affect weight loss (that's all about calories), and as long as it doesn't prevent you from getting adequate protein, fats, or enough veggie servings, it's fine from a nutrition standpoint, too.

Added sugar, in quantities, can make it hard to get adequate nutrition on managed calories; or require excess calories to get adequate nutrition. If neither of those are happening, added sugar isn't the devil either (can cause dental issues, of course). Labels don't consistently separately count added sugars (yet), so MFP can't count just added sugars. So, it's counting all sugars, which can be misleading for people who like fruit or dairy.

If sugar isn't a particular problem for you, you can change your diary page to track something else (fiber, or an important macronutrient, whatever's more important to you than tracking sugar).