Kidney Disease

Options
pcv01
pcv01 Posts: 1 Member
Do you know if anyone one on the site is using a diet for kidney damage? I am new to the condition and what I have found online is contradictory information.

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My understanding is that it will be a low protien diet. Severly reduced dairy products and salt. Low in potassium.
    Many fruits and vegetables are high in potassium yet some are lower and really contribute well to the diet. Bluberries, carrots are good. Avoid avocadoes, nuts, potatoes, as they are very high potasium foods. No coffee or chocolate and limit tea to two cups per day. Herbal remediies are not advised but seasoning foods with curry, pepper, rosemary, oregano, vinegar and lemon is suggested to replace salt. Eliminating whole grains is also suggested to lower the potassium levels of the diet. Therfore do eat white rice, cream of wheat, crepes, white bread. Limiting meat, chicken and fish to only 6 ounces or 150 grams per day.
    I also found a littleconflicting info, not much though. I have gathered here the best I can find.
    I hope you begin to feel better soon.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor for a referral to a dietician.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You should be receiving your dietary advice from a professional, not Dr Google.

Good luck!
  • tony87ooo00
    tony87ooo00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In the last year, I was diagnosed Stage 2 CKD. It was thought Stage 3...but, was revised this year. In the last week, I was told I now have dangerously high potassium. I was told to lower to less than 2000mg/day. In looking at this app and watching potassium now...I generally was getting 4000/day. It looks very difficult for me and there is a lot of contradiction. I am also hypoglycemic...so, the things I am told to do for CKD are counter to what I am told for hypoglycemia :( I don't drink much pop at all or do a lot of junk food. I eat good protein, drink milk, drink hot tea, and prefer nuts over chips. I am in the same place as you pcv01. If you find good info, please let me know. I called back to my nephrologist and asked for more info. I am considering calling my insurance to ask for a Case Manager who may be able to give me info as part of my benefits for free. Many health insurances are starting to have free services like that in order to prevent disease progression. I'll try to remember to post more if I find more. I know I was told don't eat bananas (which I was doing because of muscle cramps... did you know hi potassium causes that too? talk about contradiction :( )