Bodybugg-If you want to know more

Options
www.bodybugg.com

The bodybugg® is the most accurate device on the market today for measuring calorie expenditure outside of a clinical setting.

It utilizes a patented process for interpreting calorie burn called "sensor fusion" developed by BodyMedia, Inc. This process involves collecting a range of body-data using multiple physiological sensors instead of a single sensor, which is what other calorie estimation devices such as pedometers and heart rate monitors rely on. It's this multi-sensor approach that enables bodybugg® to "see" the wearer's context (whether they are sitting, sleeping, jogging, walking, etc.) that makes bodybugg® such a reliably accurate device for calorie expenditure estimation.
The Physiological Sensors

Here is a list of the sensors in the bodybugg® followed by a short description of how they contribute to energy expenditure estimation.

1. Accelerometer - The accelerometer in bodybugg® is a tri-axis micro-electro-mechanical sensor (MEMS) device that measures motion. This motion can be mapped to forces (g-force) exerted on the body. By taking gravity and motion into account along with the other sensor data, the wearer's body context and true level of physical exertion can be accurately predicted.
2. Heat Flux - The bodybugg® also contains a proprietary heat flux sensor located on the side that measures the amount of heat being dissipated by the body via a thermally resistant material. In short, this sensor measures how much heat the wearer's body is giving off. Heat flux is an important parameter because the body tends to heat up the faster it burns calories.
3. Galvanic Skin Response - Better known as GSR, this sensor is comprised of two "hypo-allergenic" stainless steel electrodes on the back of the armband that measure skin conductivity. Skin conductivity is how much an electrical current can pass between two points on the surface of the skin and is affected by sweat due to physical exertion as well as emotional stimuli such as psychological stress.
4. Skin Temperature - Skin temperature is measured by using a highly accurate thermistor-based sensor located on the back of the bodybugg®. Looking at continuous measurement of skin temperature in conjunction with data collected from the other sensors can reveal the body's core temperature trends which are affected by the level of a person's physical exertion or lack thereof.

The data these 4 sensors collect, in conjunction with the wearer's specific body parameters (age, gender, height, weight) enable the most accurate estimation of energy expenditure on the market today outside of a clinical setting

# bodybugg® armband
# Online food logging with custom meal plans
# 6-month subscription to the web-based program
# 1 phone session with a bodybugg® coach

Replies

• fiddlechic
    Options
    www.bodybugg.com

The bodybugg® is the most accurate device on the market today for measuring calorie expenditure outside of a clinical setting.

It utilizes a patented process for interpreting calorie burn called "sensor fusion" developed by BodyMedia, Inc. This process involves collecting a range of body-data using multiple physiological sensors instead of a single sensor, which is what other calorie estimation devices such as pedometers and heart rate monitors rely on. It's this multi-sensor approach that enables bodybugg® to "see" the wearer's context (whether they are sitting, sleeping, jogging, walking, etc.) that makes bodybugg® such a reliably accurate device for calorie expenditure estimation.
    The Physiological Sensors

Here is a list of the sensors in the bodybugg® followed by a short description of how they contribute to energy expenditure estimation.

1. Accelerometer - The accelerometer in bodybugg® is a tri-axis micro-electro-mechanical sensor (MEMS) device that measures motion. This motion can be mapped to forces (g-force) exerted on the body. By taking gravity and motion into account along with the other sensor data, the wearer's body context and true level of physical exertion can be accurately predicted.
    2. Heat Flux - The bodybugg® also contains a proprietary heat flux sensor located on the side that measures the amount of heat being dissipated by the body via a thermally resistant material. In short, this sensor measures how much heat the wearer's body is giving off. Heat flux is an important parameter because the body tends to heat up the faster it burns calories.
    3. Galvanic Skin Response - Better known as GSR, this sensor is comprised of two "hypo-allergenic" stainless steel electrodes on the back of the armband that measure skin conductivity. Skin conductivity is how much an electrical current can pass between two points on the surface of the skin and is affected by sweat due to physical exertion as well as emotional stimuli such as psychological stress.
    4. Skin Temperature - Skin temperature is measured by using a highly accurate thermistor-based sensor located on the back of the bodybugg®. Looking at continuous measurement of skin temperature in conjunction with data collected from the other sensors can reveal the body's core temperature trends which are affected by the level of a person's physical exertion or lack thereof.

The data these 4 sensors collect, in conjunction with the wearer's specific body parameters (age, gender, height, weight) enable the most accurate estimation of energy expenditure on the market today outside of a clinical setting

# bodybugg® armband
    # Online food logging with custom meal plans
    # 6-month subscription to the web-based program
    # 1 phone session with a bodybugg® coach
  • fiddlechic
    Options
    I had posted previously asking if anyone had one of these and someone asked what it was...I still dont have one.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    YEAH...
    I still want one.:laugh:

It's the $249-$348 that's killin' me.
  • butterfliblu
    butterfliblu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    YEAH...

I just got an e-mail from 24 Hour Fitness offering a FREE BodyBugg if you signed up for 10 or more personal training sessions. But, you *know* that's going to be super expensive, and I think you still have to pay for the monthly service the BodyBugg requires.
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    YEAH...

I just got an e-mail from 24 Hour Fitness offering a FREE BodyBugg if you signed up for 10 or more personal training sessions. But, you *know* that's going to be super expensive, and I think you still have to pay for the monthly service the BodyBugg requires.

I just looked into this tonight. The thing here with the free body bugg is you have to pay for all 10 training sessions up front and the offer expires on Sunday. It's $629.00 for the 10 sessions. And yes, you do have to pay the monthly service after the 6 months runs out. I do have one and loved it when I was paying for the service but I quit paying for the service so now I don't use it. The free one 24 Hour is giving away is the new updated one. I have the first, bulky one (not very attractive:tongue: )
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    i have a body bugg!

i used it for a few months but i prefer my HRM and this site for logging my cals (i used this site prior to using the bugg's site and i just found that i liked this one better - MFP is my comfort zone)...i also had the watch so i could see where i was on my calories but it was kind of a pain...and uploading to my computer was kind of a pain too....really a great little gadget if you have the time to be uploading and logging...i am just lazy and i love MFP so much - i just had to come back to it

oh and yes - it is a little bulky and annoying - especially when it is hot outside...plus poeple were always staring at my arm...some were evn brave enough to ask what it was....sometimes if i was feeling feisty i would tell them it was a lo-jack so that my hubby could keep tabs on me! ha ha ha
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    i have a body bugg!

i used it for a few months but i prefer my HRM and this site for logging my cals (i used this site prior to using the bugg's site and i just found that i liked this one better - MFP is my comfort zone)...i also had the watch so i could see where i was on my calories but it was kind of a pain...and uploading to my computer was kind of a pain too....really a great little gadget if you have the time to be uploading and logging...i am just lazy and i love MFP so much - i just had to come back to it

oh and yes - it is a little bulky and annoying - especially when it is hot outside...plus poeple were always staring at my arm...some were evn brave enough to ask what it was....sometimes if i was feeling feisty i would tell them it was a lo-jack so that my hubby could keep tabs on me! ha ha ha

Yeah, I used to tell people it was so my probation officer would know where I was:bigsmile: :bigsmile: And I agree about the website, it wasn't the most user friendly. I also had the watch which did help keep me on track but I would constantly forget to upload my data.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    i have a body bugg!

Yeah, I used to tell people it was so my probation officer would know where I was:bigsmile: :bigsmile: And I agree about the website, it wasn't the most user friendly. I also had the watch which did help keep me on track but I would constantly forget to upload my data.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that's funny, people often look at me at the gym when my hrm beeps, if ever asked probation officer will certainly be my answer!:laugh:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i have a body bugg!

Well, I guess this is acutally good information to know. I mean, I wasn't gonna pay that much for it in the 1st place, but after hearing about it not being as easy as this site or that ya'll don't use it anymore...

I will save up the pennies for a good HRM then!!

Thanks a bunch.:ohwell: