Loose Skin - Cardio vs Strength Training

Options
I'm currently 11.4lbs down from my starting weight on MFP and roughly 43lbs from my highest weight ever. When I raise my arms in front of a mirror, I can see the outline of muscle under my skin. It's like a line from wrist to armpit that shows me exactly how much loose skin I have hanging there.

It bothers me immensely to have wings that very nearly work.

Will lifting weights help speed up the skin shrinkage process or should I just stick to cardio and time?

Replies

• SpartanTrainer
    Options
    Cut down on cardio and definately use the weights!!! Using weight will tighten up problem areas and also aids in speeding up weight loss!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights and exercise will help tone the muscles and maybe tighten up some of the "bat wings".

Cardio will burn fat but doesn't really do much to build muscle.

Cardio and strength training should be used in tandem for best effect.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine lost 80 pounds and hated her arms. She did Jillian Michaels kettlebell workout religiously for about a month and went out in public wearing a tank top for the first time in 2 years. She had to get a pretty big kettlebell to feel like she got a good workout though. She's in good shape, she just wanted to tone up and fit her skin better.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps burn fat (and will tone up your legs if you are running or jogging)

Strength training will help with your arms.

Circuit training is the perfect combination of the two - keeps your heart rate up AND gives you the weight workout that builds the muscle. I've seen the greatest change in me since I started doing circuit training. :)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    There was a thread on here recommending a weight exercise to help with "bat wings." Maybe try searching for it?
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • wanderingwest
    Options
    Great work losing the weight so far! I say don't worry too much about it! Be proud of the weight you've lost and concentrate on those parts of you that are looking fabulous. You deserve to be happy with what you have accomplished. Good luck!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

veganbaum, I will run that search tonight when I get home.

wanderingwest, thanks. This is one of the little things that has bothered me for a while so I feel like it is time to do something about it. I am extremely proud of the weight I've lost and I don't want to get discouraged if certain things like my wings don't tighten up so I've decided to be proactive for once. :P