GI issues AFTER a longer run???

Options
Hey there...

I was wondering if any of you have dealt with GI issues AFTER (not during) a longer run (6+ miles).

I used to be a runner, in both high school and college. After two children and about 75 lbs gained, I finally took up running again about 5 weeks ago. Strangely enough, I have not had too much trouble getting back into it. The first two weeks were hell, but I run 5-6 days a week, usually 3-4 miles each, with one longer run. Today's longer run was 7.5 miles. When I say "run", it is more like a run/walk. I run about 75% of the entire workout. (My pace is about a 12:00 mile in the end.)

Anyway...

The last three Sundays, I have been experiencing GI issues after my runs, not immediately after. I would say that my tummy troubles start about two hours after my run. And then I'm running to the toilet, with stomach cramps and poo-poo problems.

Has anybody else dealt with this? Do you have any suggestions for a remedy?

I've never really had this problem before (as a lightweight runner).

Replies

• exercisarah
    Options
    bump
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    that kinda happens to me, but it's not super terrible. I just have to go to the bathroom after longer runs usually. Not painful or anything. I donno what you should do about it tho! maybe watch what you are eating
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    That happened to me last weekend after running 11 miles. Here is what I think was going on:
    1. I hadn't had enough water ALL WEEK before the run.
    2. It is possible that the protein bar I had the morning of caused some distress, especially since I hadn't had enough water.

This week I ran 11 miles again and was fine, but I also drank at least 10 cups of water each day.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I think you will find lots of runners who share this issue with you. I hear lots of talk about it on these forums and suggest that you google it. It has a name, I just can't remember it...
  • bootstrap7
    Options
    I have lots of experience with running troubles and with GI troubles, though not in exactly the order you mention. My guess is that the contracting core/abdominal muscles during your run as well as gravity as you bounce cause the GI tract to start pushing things through, and it just takes that long to get to the back door. If you drink coffee in the morning, that combined with the running could equal catastrophe for some people.

Do you eat before or after your run? For best results, make sure you don't eat any big meals within AT LEAST two hours before your run or an hour after your run. If you need energy, a light snack about 45 mins before your run should be okay (like a piece of fruit, a protein shake, or a granola bar), and for the longer runs you can use Gatorade and/or those runners' energy gel packs or chews (get them at your local sporting goods store) during your runs; just make sure to get the ones WITHOUT caffeine, which would compound the GI troubles. You should also eat a light protein snack within thirty minutes after your run to help your body repair muscles, but like I said, no big meals for at least an hour.

Good luck!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    When I first started running 30 (yikes!) years ago, I had runner's trots (as it's called) and it was suggested milk was a common culprit so I quit drinking milk--not easy at the time because I used to drink 3-4 glasses a day. But, it worked, end of problem. I don't consume any dairy now.

Look at your diet, experiment with eating or not eating whatever foods are in yout diet before a run ... find out what might be the issue for you.

Other triggers:
    protein powders (contain whey and/ or casein)
    grain products (such as a power bar before heading out)
    anything that's sugary, including high sugar fruit--if you want to eat fruit, try low sugar ones
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
  • mama2daboyz
    mama2daboyz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your responses. I'm thinking it might have had to do with the dinner I had the night before... I will be very vigilant the next few weeks and see what kind of response my body gives. I appreciate your input:)
  • LKFISHER
    LKFISHER Posts: 34
    Options
    Hey there...

I was wondering if any of you have dealt with GI issues AFTER (not during) a longer run (6+ miles).

I used to be a runner, in both high school and college. After two children and about 75 lbs gained, I finally took up running again about 5 weeks ago. Strangely enough, I have not had too much trouble getting back into it. The first two weeks were hell, but I run 5-6 days a week, usually 3-4 miles each, with one longer run. Today's longer run was 7.5 miles. When I say "run", it is more like a run/walk. I run about 75% of the entire workout. (My pace is about a 12:00 mile in the end.)

Anyway...

The last three Sundays, I have been experiencing GI issues after my runs, not immediately after. I would say that my tummy troubles start about two hours after my run. And then I'm running to the toilet, with stomach cramps and poo-poo problems.

Has anybody else dealt with this? Do you have any suggestions for a remedy?

I've never really had this problem before (as a lightweight runner).
    i have heard alot of people say that happens to them after running i guess it just gets everything moving if im not been to nosie has the running helped out on weight loss? when i ran for just 3 weeks and only 3 miles a day i gained almost 8 lbs was so disappointed hope all goes well with your running.