Starting yet again and off to a terrible start

Libby283
Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
I need to commit to getting back to a healthy weight. The fatter I get, the more my asthma flares up.

I have logged everything today...and the good news is I still have a few hundred calories for dinner. The positive is, it’s so hot, I don’t crave food. The negative is I am thirsty. I didn’t log water and unsweetened tea, which I also drank today.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    If you're thirsty, you're dehydrated. Make sure to log everything you eat or drink in your diary.

Are you weighing all your food?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Chalk it up to experience and move on - you know what you need to do less of, and what to do more of! And at least you were honest and logged it, so there's that.

If you need a reminder, check out the stickies! Especially this one:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Libby283 wrote: »
    Alcohol is my downfall. I drink a bottle of wine in a sitting, which sounds like a lot but really is only 4 glasses. It’s hard to eat and fit alcohol in to the 1200 calories.

Those are larger than standard pours. Make sure you're logging them accurately (not as "four glasses" -- that's underlogging). If you're drinking a 750 ml (just under 25.4 fluid ounces) bottle of wine, that's over 600 calories.
  • Libby283
    I need to commit to getting back to a healthy weight. The fatter I get, the more my asthma flares up.

I have logged everything today...and the good news is I still have a few hundred calories for dinner. The positive is, it’s so hot, I don’t crave food. The negative is I am thirsty. I didn’t log water and unsweetened tea, which I also drank today.

it may be time to cut back the alcohol consumption. you may not want to hear it's the truth . By your own admission, you are drinking heavily. I too was a heavy drinker at times. I quit cold turkey last April when I started my journey. Just a thought, I'm not telling you what to do.

I quit drinking in 2014 when I did my fitness pal. But of course when I dropped to my goal weight, I went back to drinking.

I want to drink. It is not sustainable and realistic for me to quit drinking permanently. Somehow I need to fit drinking into my diet successfully.

• Libby283
    Alcohol is my downfall. I drink a bottle of wine in a sitting, which sounds like a lot but really is only 4 glasses. It’s hard to eat and fit alcohol in to the 1200 calories.

Those are larger than standard pours. Make sure you're logging them accurately (not as "four glasses" -- that's underlogging). If you're drinking a 750 ml (just under 25.4 fluid ounces) bottle of wine, that's over 600 calories.

600 calories is better than I thought. 😔
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    I would recommend at a minimum suspending your alcohol consumption until you hit your fitness goal. Once you achieve that goal you can develop a plan to introduce moderate alcohol consumption back into your diet. I enjoy a good Bourbon or Scotch, but I gave it up cold 6 months ago when I started my fitness journey. Now that I've hit my goal, I'm going to see how much farther I can push myself and booze just doesn't fit in my macros. Honestly, I don't miss it.
  • tccroston
    tccroston Posts: 34 Member
    You’ve got this! One step at a time... You’ve read the suggestions.

For me, I automatically ate more when I drank alcohol. And I’d drink a bottle of wine at dinner without a second thought, because it was only 3-4 glasses. But it wrecked my sleeping soundly! My snoring increased and I developed sleep apnea, along with my increased weight. Looking back, most of the (increased) alcohol consumption was me feeling sorry for myself.

That’s me though. I’m not you, but I know you’ve got friends and support on this journey with you! Reach out if you need to vent, it’s cool.

This was a great start, thanks for posting!
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    I dilute my wine....A 2 once pour and then 5-6 ounces Lacroix carbonated water. I end up usually drinking 6 ounces of wine instead. I have started not drinking on weekdays and really looking forward to Friday night when I am going to enjoy a glass of wine.
  • Beachbod2020
    Beachbod2020 Posts: 20 Member
    edited August 2019
    Do you like gin or vodka? 2 gin and slimline tonics only have 100 calories compared to 250 in wine. It doesn't sound like cutting out completely will be realistic as you enjoy a drink but a bottle of wine a night is far too much for anybody. I allow myself 1 night a week where I'll have a drink (normally a saturday) but I'll fit it in with my calorie allowance and stick to lower calorie drinks like the white spirits I've mentioned.
    Edited to add.. since I've limited myself to once per week I really enjoy it. It's like a naughty lil treat to look forward to at the weekend. I've also noticed the weight loss is speeding up, it's so easy to overlook liquid calories like they don't count.