How long did it take before your healthier life changes became habit?

Options
ebony__
ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
edited August 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Whether it be your exercise routine or eating or what ever changes you(‘ve) set out to make became completely natural to you rather than a battle with your will power or self motivation (if that makes sense). I’ve read the 21day rule is more an absolute minimum than a rule and 66 days is a better average and there’s no ‘one size fits all’

Replies

• ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    All these answers are so great, everyone is so different and inspiring in their own ways
  • MarisaMSimon
    MarisaMSimon Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It took years to figure out what worked for me. Once I got to a place where I could do this method for the rest of my life, it was overnight. I think that is the ultimate key.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies this is so good: "I am not trying to become a person with less weight I am trying to become a person that would have never gained it."
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of healthier habits from years of counting calories as a teen, but that was borne out of eating disorders. But a lot of things like I never liked full sugar coke or drinking loads of calories in general (as I'd rather eat them). I like fruits & veg and don't eat much meat.

Exercise was start-stop until the beginning of 2018 though, when I found weight lifting and got into a yoga routine and tried a bunch of different classes at the gym.

I'm trying to be better about eating slowly rather than gobbling up food, especially when I'm hungry, as I think that will help with fullness cues. It's so hard, though!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising since I could wave my arms and kick in the cradle. Exercise has always come naturally to me ... possibly because I grew up in an exercising family. :)

As for altering my diet to lose weight, that happens overnight. I go along eating what I want ... years pass ... then I decide I'd like to knock off a few kg, and so I modify my diet and lose the weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    In 2012 I committed to exercising regularly, started off walking daily. It took around 1 month for the habit to stick. Progressed to other types of exercise but 7 years on I'm still working out every single week day and am purposefully active on the weekends.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I had been off and on with exercise my whole life. I was always a healthy eater but would sometimes eat too much or eat too many treats especially around the holidays.

When I switched to a primarily plant based diet is when I became consistent, beginning of 2019. I have way less cravings now and way more self control around food.
  • cmcyprien
    cmcyprien Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am still transitioning on purpose. I am one month post-op and I need all my nutrients to fully recover. I am still 90% Plant-based though. A couple days I added fish and eggs. I am an avid long walk/run/dance/yoga/lift athlete.
    The last time I did WFPB I failed because I moved in too fast. My body automatically started scavenging protein in plants and I ended up consuming a tremendous amount of calories and gained weight. This time I intend to monitor and ease into it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I would just suggest that for most people it's probably not safe to start thinking "OK, it's a habit now, it's all good, I don't need to pay attention/reinforce the habit/exert conscious decision-making etc." If habits maintained themselves indefinitely regardless of outside forces, we wouldn't have been able to trade the old habits for the new ones in the first place.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    3 years, 8 months along, and still not a habit. Well, the eating is still not a habit. 3 years 9 months ago I sure as hell would not have spent 2 hours doing cardio following my postprandial afternoon nap.