macro Grams do not match percentages

Options
82tpbswz2mal.jpg
That fist picture is a break down of what MFP has given me for the past two weeks. If you look at the second picture, those grams of fat actually match the calorie breakdown for each macro.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Check the entries you are using. Not all entries have their macro information so you could be using entries that just have calorie totals and no macros. Or they could have macros that don't add up to the calorie totals.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe that has to be it. I have often heard that the data base on here isn't alwaulys correct. I try to use the bar code scanner function as much as possible.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe that has to be it. I have often heard that the data base on here isn't alwaulys correct. I try to use the bar code scanner function as much as possible.

Unfortunately, the scanner doesn't read the nutrition info off the package. It just reads the name of the item and then searches the database just like if you typed the item into the search bar. You still want to double check the entry it brings up!

The database is mostly user entered, so you do have to poke around a little at first until you get most of your common food in your Recent or Favorites list. :drinker:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The one in your second image is only off by 3 calories. It's a rounding error. Food labels round partial grams up or down to keep the numbers nice and round and accessible for consumers. Over the course of a whole day of food, those little numbers add up and your calories and macros end up a little bit apart. I would jump to bad entries unless they end up much farther apart than just a few calories worth.
  • chandraminick
    Options
    Your right, the first time I figured it, it was over three hundred off because the fat grams weren't accurate.
  • chandraminick
    Options
    I was mainly concerned that I was wrong about how to calculate these things, and am glad to know OI wasn't blowing smoke outy butt when I was telling other people how to do it.