Everyday temptations for the food-a-holic......

Options
Just wondering if anyone out there has had these experiences and if so, how do you handle them?.....

You are doing exceptionally well on your diet, you feel motivated, feel focused and are rocking right along. Your closest friends and relatives are encouraging you....are very aware of your efforts to lose weight and how hard you struggle to avoid temptations.

Then one day your best friend arrives at your door with a chocolate cake for your birthday (that she missed 6 months ago), and the next day your husband/wife wants to go to eat at your favorite (and most unhealthy restaurant), and your co-worker drops a candy bar on your desk with a grin. REALLY!!!!! Why not just give a bottle of vodka to the recovering alcoholic!!!

It is really hard to face every day situations like these without accepting the piece of chocolate cake, the invite to go eat (knowing you can't resist ordering the super duper enchilada combo plate at this point), or the candy bar on your desk. My first impulse is to flounce away growling "How could you be so rude, so insensitive, you jerk", feeling like these indivuduals are deliberately trying to undermine my efforts. But I don't because, maybe they are just trying to be nice...isn't it nice and normal to offer food with companionship? But I can't face chocolate cake, Mexican food or candy right now without over eating on them...I just can't and I know it. So, how do you decline or cope with these situations without offending your friends and family?

Replies

• CarrieJaneSmith
    CarrieJaneSmith Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can decline to go. I would say, "Sorry, but I'm really watching what I'm eating right now--and I can't have that." They (hopefully) wouldn't put a diabetic in that position, right? Offer a healthy alternative to go to a different restaurant. If they give you something, or leave you something, say thank you, and soon as they are gone, throw it away. I've had to turn down candy from my coworker who knows I am dieting too. They probably mean well, by giving you 'treats', so just be gracious and keep your health in mind.
  • melissabee31
    Options
    I know exactly how that feels. The other day, I was getting lunch in a food court. None of the patrons offered nutritional information, so I had to guess as to how many calories something was until I got home and could estimate it. I was already frustrated that I was surrounded by food that I was tempted to eat like mac n cheese and tons of desserts. I settled for a chicken ceasar salad. Meanwhile, my fiance leaves to get dessert and comes back with 1/4 of a chocolate cake. I looked at him stunned, like, really, you had to get that when you're with me and I'm eating, of all things, a crappy tasteless salad? It was disappointing and hard to deal with, but you have to realize that life is life. I am the one that decided to go on a diet, not my fiance. I am the one in control of what I eat. No, it's not fair that someone can sneak up on you with chocolate cake right in your face. But you have to remember why you are doing this, or any time a temptation comes up, you'll fall prey to its trap.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It's all about being as polite as possible.Sure, someone is probably going to get offended in the end, but you really need to look out for your health and not give in when you know that you can't face it right now. If you know that you aren't ready to go for those 'treats' without overindulging, then just explain that to everyone. Tell them what you are trying to do, what your goals are, and that you don't think you are ready to face treats without feeling like it's getting in the way of your goal. Hopefully they will understand, and if they don't? Well, you did your best to explain to them what was happening with you in a very polite manner. Maybe if you let them in on your goals they will understand and support.

It is really hard to turn down the things that we want most, but remember to take care of yourself and hopefully your friends and family will come through and understand. Suggest healthier alternatives - instead of going out to spend time together at a restaurant have a healthy picnic and a romantic walk!
  • debclif
    debclif Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great post! I feel the same way, I usually bring my own dressing and get a salad. I know, how exciting. I sometime get things I want, just do an extra workout for a day or two, and drink alot of water! I am terrified to go back to work. I am a teacher and I am going back after Labor day. People just drop off food in the teacher's lounge. It's good because i do the same thing. For instance, someone brings me a choc. cake for my birthday 4 months ago. I eat a little sliver, do a little more excersise, drink lots of water, then bring the cake to work for everyone to eat. I leave it there in the morning, by lunch it's GONE! Win/Win situation. I try, I am not perfect, but we CAN eat the food we want in small proportions. Good Luck with this!
  • texascarl1
    texascarl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends are lousy mind-readers (as I'm constantly telepathically reminding them - to no avail!). So I never assume they're trying to tempt me. It's never a bad idea to say 'Oh, that sounds great! But I have doctor's orders to do XYZ instead right now, and I'm afraid I can't join you. (Blame the doctor, he/she doesn't care. And you're off the hook.) "Would you like to join me in having some (offer to share something that you CAN eat, that's not going to gross out the general public. Grilled chicken, a vegetable curry or what have you.) Very few of your friends are really trying to pull you down into a sugar-coated hiway to hell. Don't be too offended if they don't join you in your prudent choices.
  • roxygrissom
    Options
    Most of my friends are lousy mind-readers (as I'm constantly telepathically reminding them - to no avail!). So I never assume they're trying to tempt me. It's never a bad idea to say 'Oh, that sounds great! But I have doctor's orders to do XYZ instead right now, and I'm afraid I can't join you. (Blame the doctor, he/she doesn't care. And you're off the hook.) "Would you like to join me in having some (offer to share something that you CAN eat, that's not going to gross out the general public. Grilled chicken, a vegetable curry or what have you.) Very few of your friends are really trying to pull you down into a sugar-coated hiway to hell. Don't be too offended if they don't join you in your prudent choices.
  • roxygrissom
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions and there is a great pearl of wisdom in each of them that I will apply! Good to feel like I'm not in this alone......roxy
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I get what your saying and where your going.. but at the same time, this is a lifestyle.. and most lifestyles involve eating out, random chocolate cake and candy bars.

In terms of eating out: Go. Eat. Enjoy and then exercise. Or exercise before hand so you have some extra calories to play around with.

Random Chocolate Cake: Smile, say thank you. Then take it home or pass it along to someone else.. nothing says you have to eat it.

Candy Bar: Same deal as chocolate cake. Smile, say thank you and then pass it along.

Just because your trying to lose weight, does not mean that your life has to stop.. these things are going to happen, and you gotta figure out how to deal with them be it extra exercise or sharing the wealth with someone else.
  • roxygrissom
    Options
    Good point.