Garmin Coach to 5K (Or General Couch to 5K!) - August 2019

Options
ScrambledPawn
ScrambledPawn Posts: 59 Member
edited August 2019 in Challenges
Hey;
Even though I started a week ago I figured it would make sense to keep a log of my experience for myself trying to expand my cardio and run a 5k mile using Garmin Connects "Coach" app, but I figured it's a common tool for beginner runners so I figured I'd open it out just in case! While I'm using Garmin, it makes sense to include anything resembling the traditional Coach to 5K process such as the NHS program in the UK, so long as the end goal is to run 5K!

The idea is to briefly summarise the run/drill given to you for any given week or day so long as you started in August, how it went and the progress along the way. To give an idea, here's a rough optional template:

Starting Date:
Method: (NHS/Garmin etc.)
Previous Weekly Running Experience: (None, 1-5 miles/km, 6-10 miles/km etc)
Aim: (Walk/Run, Run, Run within 10:00 per mile etc)
Ending Date:

Run 1 (Date):
- Type of Run
- Total Time Exercised
- Distance Travelled
- Optional Thoughts

Replies

• ScrambledPawn
    Options
    Starting Date: August 5
    Method: Garmin Coach - Jeff Galloway
    Previous Weekly Running Experience: 1-5 Miles
    Aim: Run a 5K
    Ending Date: October 19

Week 1 (August 5 - August 11)
    Run 1 (August 5)
    - Type of Run: Benchmark Run - 2 minutes warm up walk; 5 minutes run; 2 minutes cool down walk
    - Total Time Exercised: 9 Minutes
    - Distance Travelled: 0.57 Miles
    - Optional Thoughts: Guaged my limits well for longer runs, noting how fast was too fast.

Run 2 (August 7)
    - Type of Run: Cadence Drill - 10 minutes warm up walk; 2 minutes cadence test; 10 minutes cool down walk
    - Total Time Exercised: 22 Minutes
    - Distance Travelled: 1.38 Miles
    - Optional Thoughts: Average Cadence of around 170-175, it was interesting focusing on narrowing stride length in order to increase step count.

Run 3 (August 9)
    - Type of Run: Run Walk Run - 10 minutes warm up walk; 0.5 mile run/walk/run; 10 minutes cool down walk
    - Total Time Exercised: 28 Minutes, 42 seconds
    - Distance Travelled: 1.50miles
    - Optional Thoughts: Taking 13-15 minute mile as a starting point, making for a 30 second off/on run, walk, run cycle. The priority in increasing speed for the running intervals from what would be a normal long distance run is difficult to get used to, but I feel I earn the intermittent walking breaks as a result; whether Galloway's claims of interval running making for a faster mile will remain to be seen come October.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    You seem to be on your path....and it is good.
    My observation (I've done the traditional C25K, and now two 'Garmin Coach' plans.) I would try using the "Garmin Coach" training plan... The C25K is great, and it was devised 20-30 years ago, to be scored using pencil and paper. It is good, and all retro (nothing wrong with that).

Garmin Coach just feels me directed toward me as an individual. It leads to the same thing...a fun, healthy, completed 5K. But using the Garmin Coach address where i am, how I am doing, and the actual watch does a good job of keep track of the number and distances.

Over all, it is probably a bit easier, and it is probably a bit better for most. (though, again, C25K is good too)

My $0.02 cents
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    There is a c25k group that started in July you might be interested in. I will tag you in the post. There is also a smaller group doing the b210k (bridge to 10k) that started in July in that group
  • ScrambledPawn
    edited August 2019
    Options
    You seem to be on your path....and it is good.
    My observation (I've done the traditional C25K, and now two 'Garmin Coach' plans.) I would try using the "Garmin Coach" training plan... The C25K is great, and it was devised 20-30 years ago, to be scored using pencil and paper. It is good, and all retro (nothing wrong with that).

Garmin Coach just feels me directed toward me as an individual. It leads to the same thing...a fun, healthy, completed 5K. But using the Garmin Coach address where i am, how I am doing, and the actual watch does a good job of keep track of the number and distances.

Over all, it is probably a bit easier, and it is probably a bit better for most. (though, again, C25K is good too)

My $0.02 cents

Yeah, Garmin Coach is what I'm using currently, I used the traditional C25K in March and, at the time, found the spike between weeks 3 and 4 too much for my stamina at the time so I refocused on weight loss. I really like how the Garmin app in particular gauges your own personal level based on your benchmark run and Galloway as a coach lends a lot of credence to it considering his history stemming back to the 1970s.

There is a c25k group that started in July you might be interested in. I will tag you in the post. There is also a smaller group doing the b210k (bridge to 10k) that started in July in that group

Thanks for making me aware of that group! This was primarily going to be a journal of sorts for my own progress but if using Garmin Coach is welcome in that thread please let me know! I wasn't sure if this would fit primarily within a traditional C25K group given this particular course seems to focus a lot more on cadence and acceleration/glider drills for 2 out of 3 runs a week.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    @ScrambledPawn
    Thanks for making me aware of that group! This was primarily going to be a journal of sorts for my own progress but if using Garmin Coach is welcome in that thread please let me know?

In Garmin Connect there is a really great group - "My Fitness Pal Buds" consider joining that next time you log into GC. The 'social' functions don't work nearly as well over there as it does on MFP. But it is a really great filter, it is people on MFP and tracking and beginning and weighloss etc. along with those doing activities using a Garmin.

Friend me on GC is you want too. (chris_in_cal)

Good luck.
  • ScrambledPawn
    Options
    @ScrambledPawn

In Garmin Connect there is a really great group - "My Fitness Pal Buds" consider joining that next time you log into GC. The 'social' functions don't work nearly as well over there as it does on MFP. But it is a really great filter, it is people on MFP and tracking and beginning and weighloss etc. along with those doing activities using a Garmin.

Oh thanks a lot, I'll check it out next time I'm on GC for sure, I appreciate the recommendation!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The members of that group use a variety of c25k programs. There are also sticky threads in that group for common issues/injuries. I personally found it very encouraging to chat with others on a similar path while on the program.