Over 50 and stomach fat

Options
vickysanimalrescue
vickysanimalrescue Posts: 56 Member
edited August 2019 in Motivation and Support
Is it just me, or is stomach fat the last to go if a person is over 50? Everything else is shrinking but my tummy.

Would welcome some recommendations on how to tackle this issue. It's driving me BONKERS - an added stress I just don't need. :s

Replies

• vickysanimalrescue
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Stomach fat is the last thing to go for many people unfortunately, regardless of age. You will see plenty of people here in their 20s who face the same issue. I don't know if that's reassuring or not.

Just keep up wihh your weight loss plan. If you continue losing, it should eventually come from your stomach too.

Thanks, Mike. I'm not discouraged enough to quit this journey. Just frustrating.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I find I lose it last where I first gain... my ribcage and belly is the last to go.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm in my early 40s and this is bothering me too but I'm hoping it'll change if I manage to lose the last 15 to 20 pounds.
  • BeverlyW1108
    BeverlyW1108 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I’m struggling with tummy fat also. My husband says he can tell my tummy is smaller so I’m holding onto that & thinking maybe it still looks big to me because the rest of me is getting smaller. I’ve had the tummy blues since I was a teen so I can’t blame my age.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    yep, one of the last areas to go for me too along with "Moobs" , back fat, underarm fat...I didn't see significant progress till I reached around 60 lbs lost from a 280 lb body. I just know that every day I work at my diet and weight train and cardio, it is getting better. Keep calories under control consistently and it will happen for you! PS...I'm 54 :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Yep its the last to go usually whatever the age :/

I find I get down to a low weight for my height, the rest of my body then looks too thin and the tummy although much reduced is still there (think of an empty sack! not pretty). I've had to make my peace that I will always have a bit of a tummy.
    @beverlyW1108 you sound like me, I've had a tummy since my teens too. I do think its genetic where we store fat.
    (I'm 50 and maintaining my goal weight for 6 yrs so I've had practice at getting used to the tum still being there). I realise if I were to lose probably another 7lbs it would flatten more but then I'd look older because my face gets too gaunt when I'm too thin.... sods law eh!
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've got 5 pounds till I'm at a healthy weight (lost 55) and I swear that weight will all come from my stomach. Lol.

All I can do is be patient, especially when the last pounds come off so slowly.
  • vickysanimalrescue
    Options
    Yep its the last to go usually whatever the age :/

I find I get down to a low weight for my height, the rest of my body then looks too thin and the tummy although much reduced is still there (think of an empty sack! not pretty). I've had to make my peace that I will always have a bit of a tummy.
    @beverlyW1108 you sound like me, I've had a tummy since my teens too. I do think its genetic where we store fat.
    (I'm 50 and maintaining my goal weight for 6 yrs so I've had practice at getting used to the tum still being there). I realise if I were to lose probably another 7lbs it would flatten more but then I'd look older because my face gets too gaunt when I'm too thin.... sods law eh!

An empty sack! LOL
  • tata04
    tata04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for the motivation. Same issue but will try to keep going
  • robbell678
    robbell678 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I read up on fat and there are two types of fat,..visceral and subcutaneous.
    First one is in and around the tummy area and in men is the beer belly fat. Very unhealthy fat.
    The second is underneath the skin and acts as an energy,warmth, protection “blanket”.
    I’ve lost a lot of the visceral type by diet and exercise but the other fat seems much tougher to eliminate. I think a little fat is healthy and ok though.
    No sugar, no excessive carbs, lots of protein and patience will get results.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm 54. I think this is very individual. I've lost 6 pounds so far (out of 15-20) and I feel like all of it has come off my waist and stomach. I can't wait for my legs to give up some fat!
  • OkieFitness
    OkieFitness Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I’m 56 and I think this is where 90% of my loss will come from. (Down 10’pounds since April - 17 to goal weight by Jan 1.). I’m hearing strong research that HIIT is the key to attacking this area of visceral fat as robbell678 identifies above. HIIT = high intensity interval training and is essentially revving up the heart rate for short bursts followed by a rest. Rinse. Repeat. Lots of web and YouTube references out there. So I’ve been throwing in 30 second sprints into my walking routine and weight carrying stair jogs as well to my weight lifting. The science says not only does this burn more fat when you are exercising but more importantly it does so long after exercise as well. I’ve also been doing intermittent fasting and credit it with a large part of my initial loss. I’m also of the opinion that your body is an incredible adjustment and adaptation machine so by switching things up and keeping it “guessing” as to what you are going to throw at it next? Turns up the fat burning reserves as well. (So I might skip breakfast one day but go OMAD (one meal a day) the next. Finally? Keep up a positive attitide, visualize that skinnier tummy, and I just bet you’ll see positive results! Just DO it!