"I lost 20 lbs and 4 dress sizes"

Options

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've gone from a 2x (18W) to a size 14 in regular women's clothes with just 11 pounds lost. I'm now buying mostly dresses to help me transition to smaller clothes because all the pants I bought when I fit a 16 are baggy in the back and need belts.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How did all of you go down 4 sizes by loosing 20 pounds?

I'm 5'6, I've lost 20pounds and my "fat" pants still fit. Granted they are looser and I need a belt, but I'm not down 4 sizes. Now I feel sad!! :(

God bless!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm hesitant to judge by sizes, because they vary so wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer! Especially because here in Canada, we have Canadian sizes (which tend to run small for the number) and American sizes (which tend to run big). The pants/skirts in my closet that I can currently fit have labels that say anywhere from size 4 all the way to size 13. :huh:
  • DMBMommy29
    DMBMommy29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started dieting/exercise hardcore back on June 22nd (when I joined MFP). I weighed 201lbs (I' 5'7") and restricted to 1200 calories a day. I did Zumba 2-3 times a week, racquetball once a week ad weight training twice a week in the form of Kettlebell & Body Sculpt classes. I stuck with it and am now down 22lbs and 21" off my body all around. I was a size 18 (a little lose on me though so maybe a 17) and I now fit into a size 12 dress. I think the most important thing for me was the inches (5" off my stomach alone!) from all the weight training. It REALLY helped speed things up and get me down sizes. Not sure if youre combining strength training with cardio but I cant say enough about it...especially kettlebell! :) Dont give up and good luck!! :D
  • abbyy182
    abbyy182 Posts: 56
    Options
    I've lost (altogether) 17lbs and went from a UK size 12 to now an 8-10, depending where I shop, which doesn't help :grumble:
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    How did all of you go down 4 sizes by loosing 20 pounds?

I'm 5'6, I've lost 20pounds and my "fat" pants still fit. Granted they are looser and I need a belt, but I'm not down 4 sizes. Now I feel sad!! :(

God bless!
    I'm less than five feet tall and store weight around my hips, where my pantline is. When I started losing weight, that was where it was happening the most at first (I do a ton of pliés every other day). I used to wear an 8 when I was at 126, and bought some 2s yesterday, which are somewhat loose. I'm not sure how much more weight I can lose, since I'm 5 pounds from my goal. Trying to decide if I'm keeping or returning the pants. :/
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Same size after losing 17 lbs, but they sure fit and feel better! I am sure that I will be able to wear the same size thru a 40lb loss. When they fall off, I will get a smaller pair. When I buy a smaller pair it, I want it to be a couple sizes smaller... Like maybe a 16 - I wear a 22 now. :drinker:
  • MB4ever
    MB4ever Posts: 18
    Options
    When I lost 20lbs I lost a pant size but not the shirt size. Now I am starting to lose it in my upper part and my top size is going down.
    Just depends on what kind of exercising you are doing that affects that part of the body as well as how your body stores fat. Me I tend to be hip heavy.

Great work though. Just know that even if you can't see it in your sizes it is working and happening. One of the reasons why I am not looking at it as a diet but a better way of living life change.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It's really about starting weight and height. If you're starting off only 20 pounds overweight and lose 20, it's easier to lose several dress sizes, compared to a person 80 or 90 pounds overweight.

Like you, OP, I didn't lose a dress size with my first 20 or so pounds. Once I lost 40 pounds, I went from a size 20 to a 16. I'm now about 50 pounds lighter (haven't weighed myself at all this month) and can fit a 14.
  • Keeley23
    Keeley23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have lost 31lbs and gone down from a UK size 18 (i refused to buy anything this size, but all my 16's were pretty tight) to a size 12, so roughly 10lbs a size for me. I have 12lbs to go until my goal and hopefully that will mean losing one more dress size.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Heck yea! I went from 180 to 155.. and shrunk from a 10 to between a 4-8 in pants/skirts. Dresses I went from an 8 to a 4-6.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I initially started losing weight I went from 195-160 and those 35 lbs. had me down from a 34 jean to a 29 jean. However I've now lost another 15 and I'm only down to a 28 jean. I think (for me anyway!) the more weight I lose the slower it takes to move down a size.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs and 8-10 pants sizes, so it's probably possible. I think it depends on things like your proportions, which areas you lose from in what order, etc. Losing a lot in your face, neck, feet and such may not result in a cloth size reduction.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 20pounds to drop a dress size. At 175 I'm an 18, 155 a 16 and 135 a 14.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11'' And in went from size 10 to size 4 by losing 17 pounds.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I think that losing 4 dress sizes as the result of losing 20 pounds is more likely to happen if losing that 20 pounds puts you at your goal weight or within your healthy weight range.
  • hml1976
    hml1976 Posts: 64
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs and have gone from a 12 to a 4. I'm short :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs and have gone from a 12 to a 4. I'm short :)
    Oooh, yeah, height might have something to do with that too. I'm short too!
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 20 lbs in three months and I just now went down a pants size. I dropped a shirt size almost a month after I started my diet. My body hoards fat on my butt and thighs so it is the hardest to lose, and will probably be the last thing to go. I think that's why I haven't gone down several sizes, I'm losing weight in other places.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I’m only 5’1’’ but can’t lose the sizes all that easy either, unfortunately! I’ve lost about 23 pounds and really only gone from a super tight 8 to an also pretty tight 6, maybe about a size and a half. My friends and family have made comments about noticing a difference and I do “feel” my body is different as well, but it is a bit disheartening hearing about others slipping so many sizes down so quickly when you work your butt off to get one size difference! I know the weight is going somewhere though and it’s motivation enough just feeling more healthy and active :)