Who Zig Zags their calories?

I have been at a plateau for about 6 weeks, between 146.5-150 pounds and I am 5ft' 6. I would like to lose 10-15 more pounds. I have done some research on this method and tomorrow will be starting following the extreme fat loss version. I calculated my calories at www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm. My Calories look like this
Monday- 1380
Tuesday- 1192
Wednesday- 1656
Thursday- 1380
Friday- 1242
Saturday- 1518
Sunday- 1380

Who has had sucess breaking plateaus with this method? Do you eat back your exercise calories back with this method? I took yesterday and today off from counting calories and the gym, because I felt do discouraged and thought maybe a change in eating and exercise would help my situtation. I would love to hear from anyone that is using this method!

Replies

• lmh0111
    lmh0111 Posts: 11
    I had been on a plateau for the last month and just started this method a little less than a week ago to try and break it. I used the same calculator as you, but I used the Fat Loss calories (not Extreme). And it seems to have worked for me - I had a 2.4 lb loss this week. I'm planning to stick with it going forward. You shouldn't eat back your exercise calories with this method - the calculation takes into account how many times a week you are going to the gym, so that is built into the daily calorie goals. At least this is the way I understand it and it's working great for me.

So, I'm still using MFP to track calories, but using the daily Zig Zag goals and not eating back anything extra for exercise. I'm at the gym about 5 times per week. What I've found is that I'm still usually under my net calorie goal due to exercise, but I'm eating more than I was before. I was pretty sure that I wasn't eating enough and that was causing my plateau, but this seems to confirm it.

Good luck!
  • alexandradeyl
    alexandradeyl Posts: 67 Member
    also on a very long an annoying plateau and would also like to know :)
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Most advice I've read surrounding plateaus (I was there too) includes the recommendation that you vary both your diet and execise. I'm not sure if that's what cracked it for me, or simply contributed to it, but it can;t do any harm
  • i have too been stuck in a plateau...and i have thought about trying this for a week to see if that would break my plateau and then i would continue on to my regular week! ill let you know if it helped me!!!
  • bump
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Note that if your average calorie intake over the period is below 1000/1200, you are straying into dangerous territory. OK every now and again to dip under, but not for prolonged time.
  • c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    I had been on a plateau for the last month and just started this method a little less than a week ago to try and break it. I used the same calculator as you, but I used the Fat Loss calories (not Extreme). And it seems to have worked for me - I had a 2.4 lb loss this week. I'm planning to stick with it going forward. You shouldn't eat back your exercise calories with this method - the calculation takes into account how many times a week you are going to the gym, so that is built into the daily calorie goals. At least this is the way I understand it and it's working great for me.

So, I'm still using MFP to track calories, but using the daily Zig Zag goals and not eating back anything extra for exercise. I'm at the gym about 5 times per week. What I've found is that I'm still usually under my net calorie goal due to exercise, but I'm eating more than I was before. I was pretty sure that I wasn't eating enough and that was causing my plateau, but this seems to confirm it.

Good luck!
    Maybe I should start with the Fat Loss version, instead of the extreme. I do go to the gym daily, and I want to make sure I am eating enough. Thanks for the information, and congrats on breaking the plateau!!
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Bump
  • c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    i have too been stuck in a plateau...and i have thought about trying this for a week to see if that would break my plateau and then i would continue on to my regular week! ill let you know if it helped me!!!

:smile: Thanks!