Zero Cal or very low cal energy alternatives?

Options
I have been drinking 1 zero cal Monster everyday during the week because it helps me not reach for snacks. I know this is super bad. Does anyone have any alternatives? I am on a 1200 cal meal plan and I don't normally have enough cals for snacks generally. Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why is it super bad?

Black coffee is very low calorie if you're interested in trying that.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like coffee but always need tons of cream and sugar. If I don't want the calories, I often reach for one of those crystal light pouches with caffeine. 10 calories per pouch. Black tea with a couple teaspoons of sugar or honey is also good for a boost.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yep, coffee!

Also, are you exercising? 1200 cals might be too low if you are working out. If you don't have much to lose, and have MFP set to lose 2lbs per week, it could be why you are set to 1200 (just trying to figure out how to get you some snack room :smiley: )
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing what is so super bad...
  • hollylynn01
    hollylynn01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep, coffee!

Also, are you exercising? 1200 cals might be too low if you are working out. If you don't have much to lose, and have MFP set to lose 2lbs per week, it could be why you are set to 1200 (just trying to figure out how to get you some snack room :smiley: )

I just started exercising this week, but before that I wasn't doing anything. I am now doing Crossfit 3 days a week and 1 cardio day, so I imagine I might be able to add a 100-300 cals. I have it mine set to 2lbs a week as well with around 50lbs to lose. I am normally a regular coke drinker so I am struggling to avoid the headaches and such without the sugar.

• hollylynn01
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    2 pounds a week is pretty aggressive for 50 pounds to go, that's why you bottomed out at 1200. If you change your weekly goal to something like 1.5 pounds a week you'll get a few more calories.

Iced tea? There are lots of flavors, even herbal teas sometimes make a nice iced tea.

Re: cokes & headaches......it's the lack of caffeine that's giving you headaches not the sugar. I would just do Coke Zero.

I didn't say I bottomed out lol. I am losing the right amount of weight still. I was just looking for something better than zero cal monsters with caffine that is going to keep me from eating everything in between meals. I think I am going to test out black coffee and see if that helps.

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    2 pounds a week is pretty aggressive for 50 pounds to go, that's why you bottomed out at 1200. If you change your weekly goal to something like 1.5 pounds a week you'll get a few more calories.

Iced tea? There are lots of flavors, even herbal teas sometimes make a nice iced tea.

Re: cokes & headaches......it's the lack of caffeine that's giving you headaches not the sugar. I would just do Coke Zero.

I didn't say I bottomed out lol. I am losing the right amount of weight still. I was just looking for something better than zero cal monsters with caffine that is going to keep me from eating everything in between meals. I think I am going to test out black coffee and see if that helps.

I think she meant bottomed out at 1200 as in, the lowest calorie goal MFP will give you is 1200, no less. If it's working for you now keep it up. Enjoy the coffee!! It's an aquired taste, but once you get used to it, you won't want/need to add anything to it. Good luck!
  • hollylynn01
    Options

[/quote]

I think she meant bottomed out at 1200 as in, the lowest calorie goal MFP will give you is 1200, no less. If it's working for you now keep it up. Enjoy the coffee!! It's an aquired taste, but once you get used to it, you won't want/need to add anything to it. Good luck![/quote]

oops...I apologize! @TeaBea , I totally took that the wrong way. I appreciate all the advice you guys are giving.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I drink a Monster Ultra Zero every afternoon. Zero calories. Almost every ingredient is a vitamin (I checked). I don't understand why people say they're "bad for you."
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I drink a Monster Ultra Zero every afternoon. Zero calories. Almost every ingredient is a vitamin (I checked). I don't understand why people say they're "bad for you."

Like most things, dose is the key. A 16 oz can of the stuff is 140mg of caffeine. Most reputable sources suggest 400mg as the generally safe limit for adults.

If the OP can include a can in their daily diet and keep overall caffeine levels reasonable, great, otherwise may want to rethink.
  • hollylynn01
    Options

I was under the impression it was bad lol I probably shouldn't be spending the $2 every day but it keeps me not hungry for a couple hours (and awake). You guys are great!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I was under the impression it was bad lol I probably shouldn't be spending the $2 every day but it keeps me not hungry for a couple hours (and awake). You guys are great!

Price is probably the only reason I would cut them out, if I chose to. But I also buy them by the case, so they're a bit cheaper that way.
  • rexlutz
    rexlutz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    8oz of Monster zero drinks have less caffeine than 8oz of black coffee
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Coffee or tea that you make yourself would be a heck of a lot cheaper :)

I've seen 100 teabags for $2.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    cln7khx9oasp.png