Meditation for appetite control

Options
I heard that practicing meditation is a great way to help with appetite control because of being more aware of yourself and needs. Any thoughts?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Meditation is great but I wouldn't waste time trying to interpret my needs. Mindful food decisions take care of my needs and they are not complicated.

Appetite is best controlled through food and if you are having a hunger problem things can be suggested for you to experiment and see what works for you.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I have practiced meditation off and on for a year or so. My current practice includes yin yoga, which involves holding a pose for an extended period of time; the yogi can choose to meditate during the practice as a way of observing the body in the present moment. I've also engaged in a mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR) practice.

Meditation, at least the philosophies of meditation that I have been taught, is not usually "for" anything other than to observe your current physical and mental state without judgment. Some forms of meditation have other purposes, such as lovingkindness meditation, which is meant to help practice compassion. People absolutely do report various other changes in themselves after practicing meditation; common changes include sleeping better and being able to approach one's emotions with greater awareness.

In my experience, approaching meditation with the goal of changing your appetite would be discouraged. The practices I have been taught are not meant to actively change the body or mind, but to just observe. If you have the intention of changing something about yourself, that would imply some kind of judgment (i.e., my appetite is too strong and I need to change that). Self judgment would run counter to most philosophies of meditation.

I have not personally experienced any difference in appetite due to meditation. If we're talking about physical hunger cues, then I wouldn't expect meditation to change those. The only way I can imagine it making a difference is if you want to step back and observe your desire to eat--is it because you are hungry, because you're bored, because you're stressed, etc.? Meditation might help you learn to observe those emotions and physical sensations that we do not always think very carefully about.

However, I'd reiterate that I wouldn't approach a meditative practice with the goal of "I'm going to learn to control my appetite." I would approach it as "I'm going to spend 10 minutes quietly focusing on my breathing, and just observing what my body and mind do during that time." If you want more specific meditative techniques, I would recommend the book "8 Minute Meditation," which teaches you a new technique each week.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    "The only feeling food can fix is hunger."

Meditating mindfully on that idea helps me better deal with my emotional eating, but I can't say that it controls my appetite (that is, the actual physical sensation of hunger.)

What a meditation practice does do, though, is keep me mindful nand d aware of the thoughts (sometimes very old "scripts" from my childhood) that drive the feelings that drive my behaviors around food. In that way, meditation has been immensely helpful in my journey towards health and well being and weight loss.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I would think this might depend on why you might be struggling with appetite.

If you are legit hungry because you are eating at a steep deficit or eating a diet very low in one or more macros, I don't think meditating will help anything.

If your appetite comes from emotion, stress, boredom, or habit then it's possible a more centered, calmer mind will make it easier to deal with. If that's the case, I would suggest also making sure you have some alternate beneficial ways to deal with the situations that arise, so your calmer mind can consciously choose a better solution.
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes, my idea was learning what is causing hungry and controlling eating through an awareness. Mental hunger vs physical
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, I would think this might depend on why you might be struggling with appetite.

If you are legit hungry because you are eating at a steep deficit or eating a diet very low in one or more macros, I don't think meditating will help anything.

If your appetite comes from emotion, stress, boredom, or habit then it's possible a more centered, calmer mind will make it easier to deal with. If that's the case, I would suggest also making sure you have some alternate beneficial ways to deal with the situations that arise, so your calmer mind can consciously choose a better solution.

More or less what I was about to say. I'm a stress eater, so doing something calming when I get snacky because of stress can help. When it's because I had a long run that morning and I have a lot of extra calories to eat, not so much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yes, for physical hunger I find eating more protein, fiber, and fruit to be helpful.

To prevent stress eating, I find yoga and really any physical activity helpful. Doing it outside in nature works best for me. Too hot these days :(

I was only a regular practitioner of traditional meditation when I was also eating lots of high volume, low calorie foods and living an active lifestyle, so there were too many other variables to make any conclusions about how effective meditation alone was.

I do find activities such as weeding or pruning meditative and soothing.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Meditation can bring you awareness. Hunger can be a spiritual quest to understand life and the world more, but to lose weight I suggest eating lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains. Stay away from calorie dense foods and read all the advice that all these wonderful people have for how to lose weight. If that is your goal... Be well and love yourself.