Processed Convenience Foods- YAY or NAY

Options
I love convenience foods; Quest bars & cookies, Atkins products, RSP Whole Bars, Protein powders. I also like chicken fingers, low carb wraps, and the like.

I have been scolded by the people who seem to know more than I do. I was told that these types of meals/snacks are not good for me. Granted I do realize that natural foods are best. But are processed foods really that bad?

If it is about calories and they fit in my daily allowance, does it matter?
Seriously asking!
I eat a typical day of at least three or more processed items.

What say you?

Replies

• Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't cook, and eat all kinds of processed convenience foods. So I'm a YAY.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I have a few processed foods that are dietary staples (Yves veggie dogs, Gardein). I do a lot of homecooked meals either from scratch or semi-scratch (i.e., using canned crushed tomatoes, prepared mustard, etc). I'd say that I eat fewer processed foods, but I'm with @MikePTY: it's about balance. I'm not pre-diabetic or diabetic. My blood pressure is at the low end of normal, so while I'm aware of added sugar/salt, neither is a concern at the moment. I look at the calories; I look at the protein, iron, and fiber, and if it fits and I like it, s'all good.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I think there are healthy foods and not so healthy foods. I put processed foods in the not so healthy category.

I prefer to cook my own foods. That's the only way I really know what's in it. When I make my meals, they don't include binders or fillers or chemicals I can't pronounce.

That's just my preference. You do you. I'll do me. 😉

Ya, when I make bread there is just a handful of ingredients. Most bread that sits on a shelf has a crazy long list of ingredients.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    CON: They are often in a form that tends to be less satiating/more calorie-dense than 'whole foods'. The 'diet' items still tend to be pretty high in (cheap) calorie-dense filler with much of the lower calorie count coming down to smaller portion size... So a lot of these items aren't very filling for the calorie count. (ie you may be wanting more or a snack afterward).

PRO: convenience + non-perishability make these an option where other items aren't... And lower satiety is less of a problem when busy. They could mean fitting a workout in where otherwise unable and not ending up eating extremely-high-calorie-density bar food when ravenous after an activity because you have an option on hand.

So, probably not a great meal replacement if sitting around at home or the office (where you may have the temptation/possibility to snack afterward). But a good meal replacement, say, in the car rushing off to a group ride/run/at a dancing venue/etc. (I'm pretty sure some of the Wegmans clerks think I live off Clif and Balance bars since I buy most of my staple foods from the cheaper Pricerite).
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I feel like *kitten* if I eat highly processed food, fast food , etc...., so I avoid it. Yeah sure, you can eat whatever JUNK you want, but is it worth it in the long run? NOPE, not in my opinion and life!

Yes, I don't eat zero ultra processed foods, but when I do eat a lot of it, I don't feel as well as I normally do.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I eat very little of that type of stuff but it has nothing to do with that "I think it is bad". Most of it I don't particularly care for and also that I am home a lot and can cook most things. The other thing...if I have convenience food at home I will tend to eat it until it is all gone! I am not good at moderating "convenience"!

Ditto. I have to keep the entire (giant 90-count) box of fruit snacks in the car. (Running/cycling fuel, so not THAT weird to keep it in the car.. Next to the gym bag, cycling bag,...)(pro tip: Betty Crocker keeps much better in extreme temperatures than Kellogg and they sell "Scooby Snacks" in 90-count boxes).
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I eat very little of that type of stuff but it has nothing to do with that "I think it is bad". Most of it I don't particularly care for and also that I am home a lot and can cook most things. The other thing...if I have convenience food at home I will tend to eat it until it is all gone! I am not good at moderating "convenience"!

I too am home and can cook most things. I enjoy cooking and I'm good at it.

I recently had to stop keeping protein bars in the house as I was unable to moderate them.