No Sugar Added Fruit Snacks?

Options
Not like the gummies-just snacks made from fruit. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Not looking for sugar substitutes like Splenda; just things made with no sugar added. I’m looking for things like popsicles, banana chips, yogurt raisins-things I can keep around to snack on. I eat a lot of plain fruit but I just want a little treat. No time to make my own. Thanks!

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells lots of dried fruit with no added sugars. I like them because the fruit seems to have actually been ripe before they were dried. They are usually called Just ____, e.g. "Just dried baby bananas".
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice popsicles take about as much time to make as an ice cube does :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Freeze dried fruit chips.
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    sometimes I eat the freeze dried fruits intended for babies. They're kind of expensive but they have a fun texture.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    There are very many dried fruits available... i.e. raisins, apricots, prunes, mangoes, raspberries, etc., all with no sugar added.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    Yes, just look in the dried fruit section of the supermarket. Read labels to find ones that don't have added sugar. Calories may add up quickly, so be mindful of portions. For best accuracy, use a food scale.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    For dried fruit--do you have a reaction to sulfa drugs? Many dried fruits are treated with a dusting of sulfur to help keep their color, deter mold, and improve water retention a little so they are chewy not hard. If you are sensitive to sulfur you will need to seek out unsulfured fruits, which usually cost a little more.

If you are not sensitive to sulfur, you don't need to worry about sulfur on fruits, it's a necessary trace element and it takes a huge amount for people who aren't allergic to it to experience any toxicity (remember even too much water can kill you). Sensitivity usually takes the form of precipitating an attack of pre-existing asthma, though some people do get a rash.

Many grape based products including wine also contain added sulfur compounds, so if you react to those then you need to find the unsulfured dry fruits.

add: example of a product category, if you have enough time to make-ahead once a week--https://www.amazon.com/Ozera-Reusable-Popsicle-Molds-Maker/dp/B07S689D9Z?psc=1
  • skrowe88
    skrowe88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So I subscribe to the $1 snack club with SnackNation and they've sent me some cool snacks. One of my favorites right now is Torie & Howard's Chewie Fruities. They're like organic starbursts! There's nothing artificial in them and they're super tasty.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Fruit juice popsicles take about as much time to make as an ice cube does :)

Yeah -- you can also blend frozen berries like for a smoothie and then refreeze into an ice cube or popsicle shape. Delicious, IMO.